SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was thinkikng the same thing. 94-95 was a fairly strong Nino if i remember and it birthed 95-96. In fact, thats my #1 analog next year. Bob start the thread!

Lol. I'll start the thread once the proverbial fork is in for this winter. Could be next week. haha

As long as we avoid a mod or strong nina I would think Enso in general would be a + ingredient. I suppose the WDI for the NAO is on our side as well. 

Looks like the PV gets displaced and relocated later in the month, after the warm up. Could have a very favorable period late Feb and early March. Some indices and the MJO look rather stormy and cold.  AO could go rather negative, no idea about the NAO.

https://twitter.com/judah47/status/697134081130295296?lang=en

Wasn't everyone talking about a SSW happening back in Jan 2012, and coming with it a huge blocking pattern with weeks of cold? While we did get a pretty good SSW, the rest didn't exactly happen as planned.

I wouldn't put much faith in a SSW producing blocking and cold galore this year; would rather focus on other aspects and elements of the pattern than that.

Ha. Last year laughed at sun angle season. We can do this.

Yeah, I never really got all that Sun angle stuff. I mean, sure the Sun'll quickly melt the snow afterwards, but what on earth does it have to do with when it's snowing with a thick cloud cover overhead, and frigid temps? Once it snows, the Sun doesn't really have much of an effect, unless it's at like a 70° angle, or there's a relatively thin cloud deck overhead.

Wasn't everyone talking about a SSW happening back in Jan 2012, and coming with it a huge blocking pattern with weeks of cold? Well, we while we did get a pretty good SSW,the rest didn't exactly happen as planned.

I wouldn't put much faith in a SSW producing blocking and cold galore this year; would rather focus on other aspects and elements of the pattern than that.

PV will not split,  but it will be displaced,  and looks to move into a better, more favorable location for a - AO . That is still a positive.

If this coincides later in the month and early March with the building ridge out West and the MJO going into phase 1 and 2 we may be in business. Just speculation but considering the time of the year at least there is another  possible window of opportunity

Considering we basically just missed three potential snowstorms. Let's see what happens after the warm up. We have to get the ducks lined up first and take it from there.    

Wasn't everyone talking about a SSW happening back in Jan 2012, and coming with it a huge blocking pattern with weeks of cold? While we did get a pretty good SSW, the rest didn't exactly happen as planned.

right now, there is a SSW occurring and it's probably one of the reasons, if not the reason, for the PV visiting us briefly

you can see it here on this 10mb map; it's not a split of the PV, just a displacement

apparently, Cohen is suggesting another such displacement may be in the cards for the end of the month

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/ec.php?alert=1&level=10&forecast=a12&lng=eng

Thanks, and apologies for some of my banter in response to a couple of comments, but yeah there have been some comments that just brought this thread down lately.

No worries.  Would be fun to have another storm get in here and take advantage of any "great patterns" that are shown

right now, there is a SSW occurring and it's probably one of the reasons, if not the reason, for the PV visiting us briefly

you can see it here on this 10mb map; it's not a split of the PV, just a displacement

apparently, Cohen is suggesting another such displacement may be in the cards for the end of the month

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/ec.php?alert=1&level=10&forecast=a12&lng=eng

Interesting, because whether or not his statement about any displacement is true...the longer range GFS/GEFS (not sure of the Euro?) has indicated another amplification of the flow and what could be some pretty good cold again getting into the last week of February.

Yes, I know the warming taking place is causing the upcoming cold that's about to happen, but I don't have much faith in it changing the pattern, to be honest.

Yes, I know the warming taking place is causing the upcoming cold that's about to happen, but I don't have much faith in it changing the pattern, to be honest.

Oh, I didn't say that. lol

Frankly, nobody knows what any particular strat warming will do for/to us. Sometimes Europe gets the benefit, sometimes the US. And even if it's the US, it may not be in the east. Just gotta wait a little longer and see. IOW, it's no guarantee for anything, but just gives us some added hope something good might happen.

Oh, I didn't say that. lol

Frankly, nobody knows what any particular strat warming will do for/to us. Sometimes Europe gets the benefit, sometimes the US. And even if it's the US, it may not be in the east. Just gotta wait a little longer and see. IOW, it's no guarantee for anything, but just gives us some added hope something good might happen.

The only strong signal we really have to work with right now in the LR is a big -epo ridge and a +pna. The rest looks so so at best. But it's the type of look that can dump good cold and that gets more and more important as we head into late Feb. Overall I'm not very impressed with anything but far from a disaster. 

The only strong signal we really have to work with right now in the LR is a big -epo ridge and a +pna. The rest looks so so at best. But it's the type of look that can dump good cold and that gets more and more important as we head into late Feb. Overall I'm not very impressed with anything but far from a disaster.

I'm numb to everything right now. Like I said in late January, I'll reassess come 2/15.

The  GFS go from a horrible looking pattern at 240hrs to a sweet looking pattern at 288hrs. It's a pretty slick ninja move..

It's split flow, +PNA  -AO -EPO look.  NAO is nuetral but the western Atlantic godzilla ridge got roundhouse kicked back to Africa this run. I like that pattern if the EPO can hold this time and of course, if it actually verifies.

Very true and incredible scoring,  look at that steady uptrend, very impressive.

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/697295229813129216

Ca1KUQhUkAAmTe7.jpg

Interesting graph there! Para only seems to me to outperform its current op about half the time looking at that. Clearly more variability with the para, but that's what the ecmwf phd scientists are for. ;) Both sure score much better than the gfs.

eta: variability for both actually look minimal with a second look

Interesting graph there! Para only seems to me to outperform its current op about half the time looking at that. Clearly more variability with the para, but that's what the ecmwf phd scientists are for. ;) Both sure score much better than the gfs.

eta: variability for both actually look minimal with a second look

I believe Ryan at WeatherBell said it will take over on March 8 th,  based on successful results   

Archived