joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had mild transitioning to marginal air in place before yesterday. We have a legit cold airmass in place before the next event. I'm just not buying how fast it's eroded on the models.

That's what's confusing me as well. I mean, Bob Chill gave a great explanation as to why the models are showing what they're showing, but...Perhaps the exceptional cold is more supportive of a great front end (and perhaps an icy mixture to follow?) How does all that cold just disappear that quickly? Feels like timing is gonna be everything here, though.

You just got 30" less than 3 weeks ago.

It's not the amount; it's the frequency of being able to track a threat. We haven't had that many this year. We seem to forget that the LR modeling has not been good or accurate, for the most part. So when we hear about a "Pattern" being favorable in 10 days, it does cause some doubt.

That's what's confusing me as well. I mean, Bob Chill gave a great explanation as to why the models are showing what they're showing, but...Perhaps the exceptional cold is more supportive of a great front end (and perhaps an icy mixture to follow?) How does all that cold just disappear that quickly? Feels like timing is gonna be everything here, though.

We had multiple arctic shots the last 2 years that were gone in 3 days. It's pretty common without a block to hold or a reinforcing high moving across the northern tier.

I can remember a storm in either 93 or 94 that when I woke up that morning temp were in the single digits (with clouds).  Precip started in the early morning, as sleet, with temps around 12F (as I recall), and by lunchtime it was simply rain - not freezing rain.  Magnitude of the cold is not necessarily a reflection of its strength.  

It's not the amount; it's the frequency of being able to track a threat. We haven't had that many this year. We seem to forget that the LR modeling has not been good or accurate, for the most part. So when we hear about a "Pattern" being favorable in 10 days, it does cause some doubt.

One of the biggest storms ever just hit the region. It's February 10th. Anyone complaining looks silly right now.

DC hadn't had a 2" snow event in........to hear some of you guys tell it...........since the stone age. That was OK. Right?

Nope. That sucked a giant pair. 10-11 pretty much stunk too. I went into this winter thinking warm, rainy, and a near shutout was quite possible. So for me (and nobody can tell me what to think), this winter was a big win.

No two winters are alike, but this time last year we had yet to experience the 2/14 mega squall, the 2/16 event, the 2/21 event that stayed snow a lot longer than forecast (this was a Saturday when the west side of 495 turned into a parking lot), snow the morning of 2/26, 3/5, the late March snow and the 3/1 ice storm that held on longer than anyone anticipated.

CFSv2 keeps ENSO in warm neutral or weak Nino into next fall. 4 years above normal snow here we come!

I've been wondering about that. I don't profess any skill whatsover in tracking enso beyond plumes and plots and such but having it hold its ground so deeply into winter raises doubts of a flip to a mod or strong nina. I'm sure someone who knows a lot more than me about it could explain why it's totally possible though. 

This SSTA plot is something we hope to see in Nov-Dec (sweet pdo!) but were basically in mid Feb now. I'd be totally fine with warm or cold neutral and a +PDO. That seems like a pretty generous Npac look in our parts. 

anomnight.2.8.2016.gif

Looking at the PDO does raise confidence in a general +pna/-epo look well into March. 

I've been wondering about that. I don't profess any skill whatsover in tracking enso beyond plumes and plots and such but having it hold its ground so deeply into winter raises doubts of a flip to a mod or strong nina. I'm sure someone who knows a lot more than me about it could explain why it's totally possible though. 

This SSTA plot is something we hope to see in Nov-Dec (sweet pdo!) but were basically in mid Feb now. I'd be totally fine with warm or cold neutral and a +PDO. That seems like a pretty generous Npac look in our parts. 

anomnight.2.8.2016.gif

Looking at the PDO does raise confidence in a general +pna/-epo look well into March. 

I was convinced of a weak Nina a couple of months ago, and then the Nino started strengthening at the end of January (recall that was one of my concerns for Feb.) Now, if I had to make a call, I'd say neutral. That could change, of course, but I'm no longer certain of a Nina. OTOH, I always recall that one weak Nina winter after a lousy Nino and smile (95/96.) When I see this SSTA map of the CFS2 that goes out the farthest, not only does the ENSO give me a little faith about beating a Nina, but check out that SSTA in the Atlantic! If  the warm/cold/warm combo has any legs, we're in good shape.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/wwang/cfsv2fcst/imagesInd3/glbSSTSeaInd6.gif

a few had doubts

Yep. Been a tough year to get a handle on. When the -AO established itself in Jan I was pretty much convinced it was going to be mostly negative for the balance of Feb. Definitely not playing out like that. Busted thoughts there. The NAO hasn't cooperated for so long that I've just given up on that one. We did take advantage of the one decent blocking period this winter so hard to complain there. 

I was convinced of a weak Nina a couple of months ago, and then the Nino started strengthening at the end of January (recall that was one of my concerns for Feb.) Now, if I had to make a call, I'd say neutral. That could change, of course, but I'm no longer certain of a Nina. OTOH, I always recall that one weak Nina winter after a lousy Nino and smile (95/96.) When I see this SSTA map of the CFS2 that goes out the farthest, not only does the ENSO give me a little faith about beating a Nina, but check out that SSTA in the Atlantic! If  the warm/cold/warm combo has any legs, we're in good shape.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/wwang/cfsv2fcst/imagesInd3/glbSSTSeaInd6.gif

i was thinkikng the same thing. 94-95 was a fairly strong Nino if i remember and it birthed 95-96. In fact, thats my #1 analog next year. Bob start the thread!

anomnight.2.8.2016.gif

We should get this over to the main Mega Nino thread and see what people share! VERY interesting! 

As far as rarely if ever seeing back to back Ninos.. we are in new times it seems! Getting epic storms and crazy snowy winters in non-favorable set ups! WHY NOT do this too! 

Looking back at the Oct ecmwf plumes it looks like pretty good verification where we are now. Ended up verifying on the high side early on this winter but settled right into the middle of the range now. Pretty accurate for 3 month leads. 

ps2png-atls21-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119

Jan plumes say we are neutral by July. Worth keeping a casual eye on as we track next winter starting next month. lol

ps2png-atls17-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119

Archived