joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it seems like the question of the week will be...Just how long is that cold air gonna hang around before it gets pushed out. Not gonna give up on it because of what happened Feb. 22nd last year (would like to know if there are any similarities in the setup)

Feb 22nd didn't have a strong + height anomaly in the western atlantic that tucked into Canada and also had a solid -epo ridge in ak/nw Canada.

In this case what we are seeing for now is a flatter ridge on the backside and sharper ridge on the front side of the trough. Unless that changes its a pretty bad analog.

With that being said I do think we could get some snow out of this. But most likely won't be a cold 6-10 on south winds with no rain.

Feb 22nd didn't have a strong + height anomaly in the western atlantic that tucked into Canada and also had a solid -epo ridge in ak/nw Canada.

In this case what we are seeing for now is a flatter ridge on the backside and sharper ridge on the front side of the trough. Unless that changes its a pretty bad analog.

With that being said I do think we could get some snow out of this. But most likely won't be a cold 6-10 on south winds with no rain.

I see...So the odds of the models trending colder over the next few days are totally out the window yet, of course?

with the 850 low closing off in the deep south - it causes wind shift in time to prevent the torching and is why both models kept 850 below freezing tonight. i really like the trends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

with the 850 low closing off in the deep south - it causes wind shift in time to prevent the torching and is why both models kept 850 below freezing tonight. i really like the trends.

Ah--That's the next thing this armchair met wants to know: What factors (like the one you mentioned) could come into play to impove the setup

Ah--That's the next thing this armchair met wants to know: What factors (like the one you mentioned) could come into play to impove the setup

By far the easiest thing to watch for is pressure levels to the north and west. Gfs is like 1012 and CMC is not much better. Ensemble mean across the board isnt encouraging either. Until that changes this will be a crappy setup for a good snow storm. Low track can only do so much when there is no cold source to feed off of.

By far the easiest thing to watch for is pressure levels to the north and west. Gfs is like 1012 and CMC is not much better. Ensemble mean across the board isnt encouraging either. Until that changes this will be a crappy setup for a good snow storm. Low track can only do so much when there is no cold source to feed off of.

my bar for a good snowstorm isnt very high after what happened today. saw a couple mangled flakes at work in se dc. even a cartopper would do the trick at this point.

my bar for a good snowstorm isnt very high after what happened today. saw a couple mangled flakes at work in se dc. even a cartopper would do the trick at this point.

For me, bitter, single-digit cold followed by a storm that turns to rain the next day is worse than what we had today

6z GFS looks to be slightly colder for next Tuesday but the southern storm just misses us to the SE. So some snow on Monday and hope for a better turn up the coast Tuesday. 500's to my untrained eye don't look disastrous either.

Yeah, no HP to speak of though so if this thing did make a proper turn up the coast we might have temp issues although I guess the antecedent airmass is ok.

The real problem with this system is the cold pattern is breaking down and a warm one is right on its heals. If it has any kind of chance for improvement snow wise, it's got to speed up, or it's ghost chasing.

I know a lot in here might not have to deal with this issue, but I'd be a little worried about ice for the northern tier folks like myself for this one. The airmass ahead of the low will be really stout and the surfaces will be chilled. Even on the current look by the Euro, I think it's eroding the cold at the surface a little too quickly with the low track. The areas in the valleys like HGR could be a close call for a real mess on that look. Would much rather see the low come up the coast and give at least a shot of snow before seeing any changes to mix. The ensembles weren't too bad this evening. Still a ways to go, but under 7 days. 

I know a lot in here might not have to deal with this issue, but I'd be a little worried about ice for the northern tier folks like myself for this one. The airmass ahead of the low will be really stout and the surfaces will be chilled. Even on the current look by the Euro, I think it's eroding the cold at the surface a little too quickly with the low track. The areas in the valleys like HGR could be a close call for a real mess on that look. Would much rather see the low come up the coast and give at least a shot of snow before seeing any changes to mix. The ensembles weren't too bad this evening. Still a ways to go, but under 7 days.

This won't be a problem east of I95. Different world out your way when it comes to ice issues the way this is currently modeled.

This won't be a problem east of I95. Different world out your way when it comes to ice issues the way this is currently modeled.

Agreed. Was referring to some people on the board like Me, Mappy, Highstakes and a few others. BWI is either going to be snow or no in this setup. I'm at least encouraged to see the signal looking a bit more snowy than not, but it's not a slam dunk by any means. Will need to keep close tabs in the coming days. One things for sure, this upcoming cold shot is going to be nasty. I can see some spots north of 70 getting at or slightly below zero with the current 850 and 925 temps. Plus, trajectory of the cold is one that would allow for minimal moderation when moving in thanks to the latest snow cover across NYS and PA.

Agreed. Was referring to some people on the board like Me, Mappy, Highstakes and a few others. BWI is either going to be snow or no in this setup. I'm at least encouraged to see the signal looking a bit more snowy than not, but it's not a slam dunk by any means. Will need to keep close tabs in the coming days. One things for sure, this upcoming cold shot is going to be nasty. I can see some spots north of 70 getting at or slightly below zero with the current 850 and 925 temps. Plus, trajectory of the cold is one that would allow for minimal moderation when moving in thanks to the latest snow cover across NYS and PA.

ugh. say it aint so, i hate ice. 

I'm just hoping for an bomb of a system. Some of the 6z GFS ensembles were absolute beasts. I'm always down for a road trip. 

The UKIE has been my favorite model over the last few weeks....it is extremely wrapped up for this next event. Maybe a big cutter would help change the pattern?

We need something because so far Feb has only rocked me to sleep. And we are running short on time.

The real problem with this system is the cold pattern is breaking down and a warm one is right on its heals. If it has any kind of chance for improvement snow wise, it's got to speed up, or it's ghost chasing.

If the last storm is any indication I think there is a good chance we see the shortwave and the establishment of the trough come in quicker then what the models now show. What I saw with the last system, in which the setup of the trough is very similar to what we are seeing now, is that in 8 days of model runs it progressively quickened those features to where it verified a day sooner, if not a touch more. And looking at the last 2 days of the Euro ensemble runs they have trended towards a somewhat quicker solution. Of course while a somewhat quicker solution would probably be beneficial I think if we were to see it verify a day quicker it could possibly bring its own headaches with the models potentially keying on other energy then what they are now.

Para euro is a good bit better than the op. A little slower with precip arrival but cold hangs on a little longer.

1-3" 95 and east

4-6" ffx-moco-hoco-balt

6-12" to the west with ridges/elevation favored.

Big time rain though after the flip with total precip in the 1.5-2.2 range. And some icing concerns in the zones Millville already pointed out.

6z gefs more favorable in the cities than 0z.

Para euro is a good bit better than the op. A little slower with precip arrival but cold hangs on a little longer.

1-3" 95 and east

4-6" ffx-moco-hoco-balt

6-12" to the west with ridges/elevation favored.

Big time rain though after the flip with total precip in the 1.5-2.2 range. And some icing concerns in the zones Millville already pointed out.

6z gefs more favorable in the cities than 0z.

Gimme the 0z Para gfs run verbatim, and I'll call it a season.

I'm not buying how fast the models are pushing out the cold air. We've seen enough examples of cold air holding on longer than modeled.....even for areas along 95....for me to think that we could be looking at a longer period of frozen precip. 

Like Bob mentioned, the Euro para is better and gets the heavier snow closer. 10" in Frederick, 3" at BWI. 

Archived