joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23/24 2016 obs/nowcast - the fight for the North

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know..you wonder how long NYC and DC and some of those big cities in Jersey, MD, Va etc will be shut down. I'd bet all next week in some cases

Except Cuomo already said they hope to have NYC back to normal by Monday.

Some smaller communities in VA might be totally out of their depth when it comes to snow removal though.

Quoting myself from 2 days ago!

"Here is my opinion. Models tend to oscillate with their outputs until they hone in on a "plausible" soloution. I have seen it countless times over the years. Models start off either too far north or south and then correct too far the other direction, only to find a soloution somewhere in the middle. Cheers. Hope people can respect my observations of watching the models from a non-met perspective for nearly 10 years.

I really think people also need to let go of their pre-conditioned NAM hate. Yeah it sucked 7-8 years ago. It has pulled many coups in my opinion."

http://www.americanw...-124/?p=3902260

ALL HAIL THE NAM AND ALL ITS GLORY!!!

Too many info sources to keep up with - beyond this forum and others, and the DOT cameras, and the NWS, and the radar and lightning sites, and looking at MBY, I'm also finding that Waze on my smartphone is a cool way to watch traffic on the highways where there are no cameras. I'm surprised, but speeds on the Merritt and I-95 and Rt. 8 in Fairfield County seem to be in the 30 to 40 MPH zone, with no jam-ups seen - but the traffic volume must be pretty low.

RAP and HRRR look fairly similar. Both have precipitation slowly collapsing southeast by 8-9 PM and both have things winding down for I95 points west by 10-11PM.

An additional:

.10-.50 inches of QPF from the Pike towards towards SE MA (more as you get towards I95).

.50-.75 inches of QPF for SE MA

.75-1.00 inches of QPF for the Cape east of the Canal.

30.8/28 Heavy Snow - Blowing Snow.

13"

No power now in extreme SE Westerly and S Charlestown No doubt due to the snow which has become wet in the last hour.

Temps slowly creeping up here - snow has become wet and plastered to everything. Temps just to the west have been falling quickly during the same period. Might be a front of some sort setting up.

crushed

Archived