Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23/24 2016 obs/nowcast - the fight for the North

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TWC killing it geek wise. Top NESIS storm? might be, holy crap

I geeked earlier this week about it, you can't hit the i-95 population centers this hard without amassing quite a number. And you really don't need to hit Boston that hard when you destroy DC to nyc. The only thing holding it back is maybe it didn't hit the OH Valley hard.

Edge of the storm - 

..i crept up and over the ridge-line in Harvard Massachusetts near sunset a little while ago, and this emerged promptly in my sights.  It's the distant edge of the storm.  This vantage is peering NW toward VT.  Off the right edge, the sky fades quickly gray.  

It was a fantastic effect in having pink sunset horizon dimly visible.  At this time, light to moderate snow was blowing by from right to left - though the absolute detail wasn't picked up too well by the granularity of what camera I had with me: my phone.  But, nonetheless ...that same granularity kind of gives something back.  

post-904-0-26289300-1453588209_thumb.jpg

Unbelievable gradient... Took a ride to Waterbury an hour ago. South side had about 6" OTG, north end had about 3", ten miles north a dusting, another ten miles to my house and not a flake. Unreal, I've been under decent returns since this morning and not even a dusting to show for it.. Congrats south coast and the city, epic for them, epic...could parallel 1888???

Uh oh. Another Tolland poster. I see SE part of town?

Oh yeah another one of those Tolland folk to keep you company, from on top of the hill on Anthony Rd. Just moved into town a year and a half ago. Grew up & work in Willington. Just came back from my parents house in East Willington and have to say there's a significant difference in accumulation/intensity in the 6-7 miles or so between here and there.

I'm not sure I totally trust that ob, but it was gusting to 48 knots the hour before, so it's not insanely higher than that.

I believe it. Nantasket beach after breakfast this am my friend and I were trying to lean over and get held up in the wind like a tropical storm or hurricane!

Archived