joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23/24 2016 obs/nowcast - the fight for the North

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too many info sources to keep up with - beyond this forum and others, and the DOT cameras, and the NWS, and the radar and lightning sites, and looking at MBY, I'm also finding that Waze on my smartphone is a cool way to watch traffic on the highways where there are no cameras. I'm surprised, but speeds on the Merritt and I-95 and Rt. 8 in Fairfield County seem to be in the 30 to 40 MPH zone, with no jam-ups seen - but the traffic volume must be pretty low.

Not surprising...the snow in lower Fairfield county north of Stamford has been nothing compared to NYC. Lucky if we get to 12in in Westport. Roads are not bad for the Jeep. 

tell ya what 4k had a fantastic handle on the Meso features last night. Suck or not that is ok with me.

This isn't the place for it, but a model is unusable when it has as many gaffes as the NAM has had over the years. One thing that it had in its favor is that synoptically there were really no surprises with this system. I mean we were overanalyzing a little less confluence here and a slightly stronger ULL there, but there were no drastic changes. That probably plays into the NAM's wheelhouse where it can have a better handle on the synoptics and then the convective/latent heating processes that it can actually be good at are relevant for the system. I'm not a model whiz though.

It's easy for a weenie to latch onto a juiced NAM run though...it's a lot more difficult when wx is your job and your reputation is on the line.

Archived