joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23/24 2016 obs/nowcast - the fight for the North

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never seen anything close to that in my lifetime and those weenies do it every 5 years. Insane.

Something to be said for being at a low enough latitude and close enough to the Atlantic to have excess to that moisture, yet still be just far enough for the cold.

Have always said that their ceiling for anomalous events is higher, they just do not get them as often as we do.

This season and this storm were made for them.

Something to be said for being at a low enough latitude and close enough to the Atlantic to have excess to that moisture, yet still be just far enough for the cold.

Have always said that their ceiling for anomalous events is higher, they just do not get them as often as we do.

Being relatively close to the gulf moisture helps them get these types of systems every now and then.

This isn't the place for it, but a model is unusable when it has as many gaffes as the NAM has had over the years. One thing that it had in its favor is that synoptically there were really no surprises with this system. I mean we were overanalyzing a little less confluence here and a slightly stronger ULL there, but there were no drastic changes. That probably plays into the NAM's wheelhouse where it can have a better handle on the synoptics and then the convective/latent heating processes that it can actually be good at are relevant for the system. I'm not a model whiz though.

It's easy for a weenie to latch onto a juiced NAM run though...it's a lot more difficult when wx is your job and your reputation is on the line.

it nailed it is all I said,nothing else.

You get some whoppers too when the cf plays nice. I'm waiting for my next Feb 69.

Posted this in the wrong thread. Too many tabs open...

Such a beautiful storm both dynamically and visually! Amazing watching this thing evolve 200 miles away from the safety of my laptop.

I'm seeing a lot of 4/5/6 inch amounts in RI and SE MA. Some 10/11/12 inch reports coming from Rockville (RI), Oak Bluffs (MA), Nantucket (MA), West Harwich (MA), and Yarmouthport (MA).

West Harwich reporting the most so far with 11.5 inches of snow at 6:13PM.

Nothing like a fight with the GF to take me out of one of the most thrilling nowcast snowstorms I can remember... and no doubt one of the biggest snowstorms to impact the east coast in history. 

Ripping outside, Brookline MA. We dropped about 1-2" in an hour in one of the better bands between 5:30-6:30pm.

Just trying to catch up on last 12 hours of posts...  I am simply in awe.

Of course, you could say the same thing about sne.

Well for us it is the Atlantic to our south, but we're quite a bit further from the Gulf....which is a more efficient moisture source.

But having the Atlantic directly to our south so close allows us to get large storms more regularly...that and of course the whole latitude thing with the polar jet. But in terms of those absolute monster type 20"+ systems, they do it at a similar frequency in the M.A. because of the gulf. They just get far less of those 10-20" storms.

Posted this in the wrong thread. Too many tabs open...

Such a beautiful storm both dynamically and visually! Amazing watching this thing evolve 200 miles away from the safety of my laptop.

I'm seeing a lot of 4/5/6 inch amounts in RI and SE MA. Some 10/11/12 inch reports coming from Rockville (RI), Oak Bluffs (MA), Nantucket (MA), West Harwich (MA), and Yarmouthport (MA).

West Harwich reporting the most so far with 11.5 inches of snow at 6:13PM.

13 in WST

Well for us it is the Atlantic to our south, but we're quite a bit further from the Gulf....which is a more efficient moisture source.

But having the Atlantic directly to our south so close allows us to get large storms more regularly...that and of course the whole latitude thing with the polar jet. But in terms of those absolute monster type 20"+ systems, they do it at a similar frequency in the M.A. because of the gulf. They just get far less of those 10-20" storms.

True. They get the same smaller storms we do, they are just rain.

Yes.

undulating gravity clouds, freakin everywhere, the last visible showed them

I'm not sure it's gravity wave related, at least the velocity doesn't appear that way. Given the proximity to kbox I would expect more "boundaries" on the velocity product as winds shift subtly behind each wave.

I'm thinking this is more convective related, which would make sense too as SNE is on the edge of the original dry slot.

Archived