Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

Terrible winter

The 30 days of winter beginning January 23rd will go down among the greatest in NYC history.

Greatest daily snowfall on record

Below zero low temperature

More than 30" for 30 days

Maybe uncle has the stats for 30 day periods in NYC with over 30" and a below zero temperature.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 30 days of winter beginning January 23rd will go down among the greatest in NYC history.

Maybe uncle has the stats for 30 day periods in NYC with over 30" and a below zero temperature.

So two events make it the greatest ever ? It's been awful and shows long range forecasting is a waste of time . All you kept hearing was wait until February Bla bla Bla , Back end winter garbage , throwing out useless analog years .

Today definitely has that spring feel to it. I'm starting to think winter is over for the most part. There might be a thread the needle type storm over the next few weeks given this nino's ability to squeeze out the juice, but March is on the doorstep and the upcoming pattern doesn't look particularly anomalous.

Like most winters, it's boils down to a 30-40 day stretch where the goods are delivered.  The rest of the time is often so-so or bad.   We'll see for this year, many calls for a great ending, but so far it's been meh and the next week looks warm and wet

Not to beat a dead horse but I think that most people living in NYC have such a love fest for the city that they can't imagine anyone not wanting to live there.

For starters, it's expensive as hell. It's noisy, it's dirty in places. Sure, it has a lot of history and charm, which makes it a great place to visit.

25 miles outside the city here in suburbia all I can hear are a few birds chirping and the occasional noise from a low flying plane. At night, I can see most of the stars and I hear silence. For 500,000 you can get a nice house on a nice piece of property. In Manhattan, that wouldn't even buy you a studio appartment.

I've always thought Long Island should have been its own state. It geographically makes no sense that it's part of NY other than that you need to travel through NYC to get there. I'd also give Queens and Brooklyn to LI as well. Both of them are big enough to be indipendant cities and they are almost anyway.

Not to beat a dead horse but I think that most people living in NYC have such a love fest for the city that they can't imagine anyone not wanting to live there.

For starters, it's expensive as hell. It's noisy, it's dirty in places. Sure, it has a lot of history and charm, which makes it a great place to visit.

25 miles outside the city here in suburbia all I can hear are a few birds chirping and the occasional noise from a low flying plane. At night, I can see most of the stars and I hear silence. For 500,000 you can get a nice house on a nice piece of property. In Manhattan, that wouldn't even buy you a studio appartment.

I've always thought Long Island should have been its own state. It geographically makes no sense that it's part of NY other than that you need to travel through NYC to get there. I'd also give Queens and Brooklyn to LI as well. Both of them are big enough to be indipendant cities and they are almost anyway.

If Brooklyn was its own city, I believe it would be the 5th largest in the country

I believe Brooklyn was a city. It merged into NYC at the beginning of the 19th century. I'd have to hit the digital books for accuracy.

Interesting thought Long Islan as a state. There was talk awhile back of Staten Island seceding and possibly becoming part of New Jersey or an independent. I imagine the little zip 100 island rock would really be put in perspective if the outer boroughs went their own way.

At least weather wise it makes no difference.

Huge meltdown again in the sne thread, great read this morning.

Spring is in the air today and it's time to move on from this winter. I'm done with it and look forward to warmer temps

Exactly. Days like today make me glad spring is around the corner and winter's almost over. When you stop caring about snow thats usually when a storm hits

I can't get into the trucks, it's just not as appealing.

See, NASCAR in general isn't as appealing to me. If you go back to the early 80s before the restrictor plates, the racing was down right incredible. The cars sounded like thunder, and the lead changes made the racing impossible to stay away from. Even after the restrictor plates it was still great racing. All the great G Body's were out there, the Buick's, Pontiac's, Chevy's and so on. Even Ford had the Thunderbird.

Today it's all pack racing. Not many lead changes, and they're all in a line, or a 3 wide group.

After such a stellar winter I'm totally looking forward to spring.  Gonna go out for a bike ride today then maybe do some yard work tomorrow.  At this point each cold period should be less significant than the one before it (imho) and we should all be thinking of time spent outdoors rather than in front of a computer screen.

there have been some late winter storms that were just cold enough for wet snow 4" or more during el nino winters...some analogs had this kind of storm once or twice late February till Springtime...

March 14th and 21st, 1958...two storms 4.7" and 11.8" and the lowest temperature was 31 in the city for both events...

March 21st-22nd, 1964...4.9" of wet snow that started as rain...coldest temp. was 32...

February 24-25th, 1966...6.3" of wet snow that started as rain...coldest temp. was 32...

February 23rd, 1987...4.2" of wet snow...coldest temp. was 32...

March 18th-19th, 1992...6.2" of wet snow and sleet...coldest temp was 31...

March 22nd, 1998...5.0" of wet snow...coldest temp. was 30...

April 7th, 2003...4.0" of wet snow...coldest temp was 30...

Feb.28th-Mar. 1st, 2005...7.7" of wet snow...coldest temp was 30...

most of these storms heaviest snow fell over night...April 2003 was a day time event...

Archived