• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

Doesn't help when there are pros saying the same thing....I was wondering earlier today, from what I have learned here, if the signals are so obviously bad, why are people here even discussing a snowstorm? I mean, this is the NYC forum, so if it snows in Harrisburg PA really I don't care....I don't really even care if it snows on the east end of LI or in Philly. Does this make me a bad person?

Yes,because NY metro area I do believe consists of NJ,NYClong island and parts of ct I do believe.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes,because NY metro area I do believe consists of NJ,NYClong island and parts of ct I do believe.

East end of LI? That's as far from me as DC....parts of CT I can understand, a little....the Poconos are way closer to me than Montauk. Well then, I am a bad person. Actually, Harrisburg is closer too....In fact, what is the east end of LI doing in the metro area?  Is it cultural? Serious question, what should constitute the NYC metro area?

East end of LI? That's as far from me as DC....parts of CT I can understand, a little....the Poconos are way closer to me than Montauk. Well then, I am a bad person. Actually, Harrisburg is closer too....In fact, what is the east end of LI doing in the metro area? Is it cultural? Serious question, what should constitute the NYC metro area?

I've honestly said the damned thing lol metro area I never considered long island.

East end of LI? That's as far from me as DC....parts of CT I can understand, a little....the Poconos are way closer to me than Montauk. Well then, I am a bad person. Actually, Harrisburg is closer too....In fact, what is the east end of LI doing in the metro area?  Is it cultural? Serious question, what should constitute the NYC metro area?

I've honestly said the damned thing lol metro area I never considered long island.

You guys have to be kidding right? I mean, you're in a weather forum. Maps are flying around all over the place in here all the time. Look at the map below, you might happen to notice that LI has a certain...... Let's call it geographic relationship with NYC proper. I'd venture a guess as to that being a big part of the reason. If we're going by more of a weather related metric, OKX is closer to my house than it is NYC, and that's the WFO for NYC.

post-4973-0-14556100-1455935275_thumb.gi

http://metroeast_climate.ciesin.columbia.edu/images/mec_map.gif

You guys have to be kidding right? I mean, you're in a weather forum. Maps are flying around all over the place in here all the time. Look at the map below, you might happen to notice that LI has a certain...... Let's call it geographic relationship with NYC proper. I'd venture a guess as to that being a big part of the reason. If we're going by more of a weather related metric, OKX is closer to my house than it is NYC, and that's the WFO for NYC.

attachicon.gifmec_map.gif

That little square about sums it up for me.....in all honesty I lived my whole life in the shadow of the big city but I have never considered myself a New Yorker; it has always been an alien place to me. Except for SI, which I maintain is in NYC because they didn't really wanna be part of Jersey. Fact is, until I married a foreigner who has to show all her visiting friends the city, I had only been to the city a handful of times. I do go there for medical checkups and when my kids were young we visited all the museums and zoos, but then we went to all of them from DC to Boston...

attachicon.gifmec_map.gif

heh there are people on LI who don't wanna even be in NY state let alone the city....

While I do agree with EasternLI and the map above, if you really want to narrow it, you could ask yourself "can I reasonably commute to NYC daily for work?"

I've met many folks from my area here that commute to the city on a daily basis. For differing employment reasons. I can be in NYC in 1 hour if I wanted to, with reasonable traffic.

At the same time, I used to drive from here to Buffalo and back on a regular basis. I would always follow a caravan of cars starting midway through Pen. all the way in. For work I'm assuming, I'm talking 3+ Hrs of a trip. I never understood how anyone could do that on a daily basis.

I've met many folks from my area here that commute to the city on a daily basis. For differing employment reasons. I can be in NYC in 1 hour if I wanted to, with reasonable traffic.

At the same time, I used to drive from here to Buffalo and back on a regular basis. I would always follow a caravan of cars starting midway through Pen. all the way in. For work I'm assuming, I'm talking 3+ Hrs of a trip. I never understood how anyone could do that on a daily basis.

I've seen people commute to Boston from NJ. I kid you not. Not daily, but weekly. A good job is tough to hold onto.

That's true. I remember a push to make LI its own state. I also remember an attempt to add another county to LI, eastern Suffolk would have been Peconic county.

Well, the Fisherman magazine did start out as the Long Island, Metro edition....but many people still called it the LI Fisherman....but in Jersey it was just called the "effin" Fisherman, mostly because of the bogus fishing reports, which I used to help write.....

People commute from Philadelphia to NYC. Even intra-city commutes can be terribly long, living in Queens my commute was an hour and a half each way, on a good day.

I'm a West Point Firefighter, and we have guys that come from Philly.. Talk about a commute.. Nearly 3 hours...

We also have a guy from Binghamton lol

Granted we work 48 straight shifts

Lol I knew I'd stir something by opening up the commute debate. Binghamton to West Point doesn't sound reasonable to me. Yikes. And Wthrm, come on, train to NYC from Orient daily? I just looked at the LIRR schedule. Monday morning you would have to leave greenport at 5:30 AM, transfer at ronkonkoma and Jamaica to be in penn by 8:40. Then go to wherever you job might actually be.

I used to commute from Nassau to basking ridge NJ. And it was not reasonable. Lol

Lol I knew I'd stir something by opening up the commute debate. Binghamton to West Point doesn't sound reasonable to me. Yikes. And Wthrm, come on, train to NYC from Orient daily? I just looked at the LIRR schedule. Monday morning you would have to leave greenport at 5:30 AM, transfer at ronkonkoma and Jamaica to be in penn by 8:40. Then go to wherever you job might actually be.

I used to commute from Nassau to basking ridge NJ. And it was not reasonable. Lol

I commuted to Jackson NJ from Woodbridge in the 80's and it nearly killed me.....school started at 7 15 am and I used to fall asleep coming home. Good thing winters were snowless in those days. We did have one storm that never hit back in 89 where they canceled school. After that I swore off long commutes. And teaching.

AT&T huh!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Terrible winter

Not bad though to have above normal snowfall in a terrible winter. I know most of it was from the 1 huge blizzard, but i'll take it any way i can get it. Also even if next week's storm doesn't work out, there will be more chances. The long range pattern looks pretty good moving into early March. I saw tonight's GFS has 2 snowstorms in the 1st week of March. I know individual threats can't be taken seriously that far out, but the point is the pattern will favor cold/stormy! Unlikely we avoid getting another snowstorm in late winter in a weakening El Nino. I'd bet plenty on an early march snowstorm!

Not bad though to have above normal snowfall in a terrible winter though. I know most of it was from the 1 huge blizzard, but i'll take it any way i can get it. Also even if next week's storm doesn't work out, there will be more chances. The long range pattern looks pretty good moving into early March. I saw tonight's GFS has 2 snowstorms in the 1st week of March. I know individual threats can't be taken seriously that far out, but the point is the pattern will favor cold/stormy! Unlikely we avoid getting another snowstorm in late winter in a weakening El Nino. I'd bet plenty on an early march snowstorm!

March has a good chance of getting a snowstorm with the pattern shaping up

Archived