• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

there have been some late winter storms that were just cold enough for wet snow 4" or more during el nino winters...some analogs had this kind of storm once or twice late February till Springtime...

March 14th and 21st, 1958...two storms 4.7" and 11.8" and the lowest temperature was 31 in the city for both events...

March 21st-22nd, 1964...4.9" of wet snow that started as rain...coldest temp. was 32...

February 24-25th, 1966...6.3" of wet snow that started as rain...coldest temp. was 32...

February 23rd, 1987...4.2" of wet snow...coldest temp. was 32...

March 18th-19th, 1992...6.2" of wet snow and sleet...coldest temp was 31...

March 22nd, 1998...5.0" of wet snow...coldest temp. was 30...

April 7th, 2003...4.0" of wet snow...coldest temp was 30...

Feb.28th-Mar. 1st, 2005...7.7" of wet snow...coldest temp was 30...

most of these storms heaviest snow fell over night...April 2003 was a day time event...

I've said it before Uncle, just great stuff you find.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said it before Uncle, just great stuff you find.

thanks...I've seen many wet snow events with temperatures above 32...They didn't amount to much but it was snowing...April 9th 1996 is a good example of that...March 28th 1984 had a huge noreaster with 3.3" of slush from 2.6" LE...coldest temp was 34...

Not to beat a dead horse but I think that most people living in NYC have such a love fest for the city that they can't imagine anyone not wanting to live there.

For starters, it's expensive as hell. It's noisy, it's dirty in places. Sure, it has a lot of history and charm, which makes it a great place to visit.

25 miles outside the city here in suburbia all I can hear are a few birds chirping and the occasional noise from a low flying plane. At night, I can see most of the stars and I hear silence. For 500,000 you can get a nice house on a nice piece of property. In Manhattan, that wouldn't even buy you a studio appartment.

Depends on where in the city you live. It's much cheaper and quieter uptown, and there's a lot more green space. Not to mention that the Hudson Highlands are a short Metro-North ride away. It's also very easy to bike out of the city via Route 9W and S County Trailway.

So two events make it the greatest ever ? It's been awful and shows long range forecasting is a waste of time . All you kept hearing was wait until February Bla bla Bla , Back end winter garbage , throwing out useless analog years .

The 30 days beginning with the blizzard were among the top 30 days for snowfall in any winter from NYC 

east across Long Island. 30-40 inches of snow for a 30 day period is not too shabby in my book.

You realize that NYC and sections of Long Island didn't see a single 30-40 inch snowfall season 

from 78-79 to 92-93. So unless you were up to the NW and missed the snows, I don't see how anyone

can really complain about this winter. 

Seasonal forecasts are largely experimental. They can make good on some general themes

But there is no way they can do justice to the types of extremes that we have experienced 

in the 2000's. Didn't see too many calls for a +13 December followed by the heaviest daily

NYC snowfall of all-time in January and the first below zero degree temperature in February

since 1994. If you put that forecast out in October or November you would have been laughed at. ;)

The 30 days beginning with the blizzard were among the top 30 days for snowfall in any winter from NYC 

east across Long Island. JFK and other locations are close to 40 inches of snow for just a 30 day period.

You realize that NYC out across parts of Long Island didn't see a single 30-40 inch snowfall season 

from 78-79 to 92-93. So unless you were up to the NW and missed the snows, I don't see how anyone

can really complain about this winter.

This winter has been fascinating.

The long range looks horrible per the Mid-Atlantic forum. Euro torches us at D10 despite the -AO and -EPO.

If this is all the snow we are getting this year, I don't think anyone but the far NW crew has anything to complain about.  But the far NW got royally screwed, so I can understand their frustration.

But you just told me yesterday that I complain too much about this winter too much?

Anyway, the AO forecast graph today looks far less bullish than yesterday's.

Since Jan 1 KNYC is + 1 . You saw a top 5 Blizzard this year , and a below 0 reading for the 1st time in 30 years .

You are AN in the snowfall dept. 

You live in Brooklyn , you are not suppose to have extreme cold/snowy winters .

Considering what the Pacific looked like in November , you are lucky you pulled any of this off .

( However we did tell you this would happen )  AN snow AN temps ,, cough cough .

1 more shot in early March and then we get to watch the Nationals implode again this summer .  :)

jk.

If this is all the snow we are getting this year, I don't think anyone but the far NW crew has anything to complain about. But the far NW got royally screwed, so I can understand their frustration.

You think? Have less than 5 inches with no single snow event exceeding 2 inches WTF?????????????

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Since Jan 1 KNYC is + 1 . You saw a top 5 Blizzard this year , and a below 0 reading for the 1st time in 30 years .

Considering what the Pacific looked like in November , you are lucky you pulled any of this off .

( However we did tell you this would happen )  AN snow AN temps ,, cough cough .

1 more shot in early March and then we get to watch the Nationals implode again this summer .  :)

jk.

Bro

( However we did tell you this would happen ) AN snow AN temps ,, cough cough .

1 more shot in early March and then we get to watch the Nationals implode again this summer . :)

jk.

Wow we agree lol jk. Anyway I agree with you, looks like one more cold shot week 1 and going into week 2 of March, then that's it and it's spring time by mid month and beyond

If this is all the snow we are getting this year, I don't think anyone but the far NW crew has anything to complain about. But the far NW got royally screwed, so I can understand their frustration.

as the saying goes, don't always believe everything you read on the internet. First check to see if adding ever talked about us true or not. Better to be safe then sorry in my opinion. Just saying.

As for what you heard/read, no idea if it's true or not.

Archived