amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Late December miracle early next week!?

ineedsnow

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think there is any potential of a small to middle sized ice storm out of this?

Small probably. I don't think the duration is there for anything bigger in terms of ice. There's a low chance maybe a narrow zone gets greater than a quarter inch of ice.

But that type of detail is impossible at this range. I mean this could keep trending warmer or it could start coming back colder. We just need to wait and see.

To put things in perspective, we haven't even seen a LR NAM run of this yet. That's how much time we have to make changes before the event is upon us. Obviously this wasn't what we wanted to see, but all hope is not anywhere near lost.

Step away from the computers, enjoy a merry Christmas with friends and family, and we'll see where this takes us on the 0z suite and beyond.

To put things in perspective, we haven't even seen a LR NAM run of this yet. That's how much time we have to make changes before the event is upon us. Obviously this wasn't what we wanted to see, but all hope is not anywhere near lost.

Step away from the computers, enjoy a merry Christmas with friends and family, and we'll see where this takes us on the 0z suite and beyond.

If I had a dime for every trend the models underwent in the 120-96 frame or so and then reversed again I'd be able to buy a decent dinner.  It seems common to see some sort of swing Day 4-5 and then see it go the other way Day 2-3. 

Trends can reverse quickly at this time range. We saw colder solutions all day yesterday starting the night before until 00z euro last night. Then everything came in warmer just like that.

It can reverse again on little notice. Especially given the two pieces of energy are not easy for models to handle. A deep southwestern cutoff and a northern stream element way up in Canada that has yet to come onshore.

You obviously prefer not to have the colder trend suddenly reverse but just because it did, it doesn't mean it's true. Not at this time range. If we were 36 hours closer, it would be more concerning. We will want to see things at least stabilize next two runs and then come back colder

Trends can reverse quickly at this time range. We saw colder solutions all day yesterday starting the night before until 00z euro last night. Then everything came in warmer just like that.

It can reverse again on little notice. Especially given the two pieces of energy are not easy for models to handle. A deep southwestern cutoff and a northern stream element way up in Canada that has yet to come onshore.

You obviously prefer not to have the colder trend suddenly reverse but just because it did, it doesn't mean it's true. Not at this time range. If we were 36 hours closer, it would be more concerning. We will want to see things at least stabilize next two runs and then come back colder

I've been surprised this can cut so far north out of TX/OK with that energy coming ashore into the West.  I figured the strong SE ridge could aid in this going more north but thought the energy behind it would be more of an influence.

I've been surprised this can cut so far north out of TX/OK with that energy coming ashore into the West. I figured the strong SE ridge could aid in this going more north but thought the energy behind it would be more of an influence.

It is definitely an odd track for a vigorous cutoff ULL. Really nothing would surprise me though because those features are unpredictable. But I do tend to agree you'd see a little more longitude gained just looking at it anecdotally.

It is definitely an odd track for a vigorous cutoff ULL. Really nothing would surprise me though because those features are unpredictable. But I do tend to agree you'd see a little more longitude gained just looking at it anecdotally.

Perhaps a dumb question but what would influence the path and track of the high pressure system...or even the speed?  Is it just the jet stream?  

Archived