• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Late December miracle early next week!?

ineedsnow

Still moderate to heavy precip at hour 114, 2m 32f line is now about DXR-BDL-NEMA with lots of pinging north of there. H7 0c line is around the MA/NH border.

Probably a couple inches of snow for CT to ice to rain, advisory type stuff along the Pike with lots of IP/ZR afterwards and warning snows CNE/NNE/NNY.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah agree. It's pretty darn chilly. Might be a sneaky 800-750 warm layer, but that looks like a CF weenie snow band too after low departs. 

Not to be a Christmas wet blanket, but that's pretty typical too.

We get all excited by model runs keeping that layer below freezing, then all of sudden during the event it's post after post of, "WTF, I wasn't supposed to ping?!"

And th cold tuck to hold off the warmth coming in after the storm,

That actually gives some hang-back snow for SNE. Esp pike region and NE MA. That's kind of an awkward setup with the high getting stronger during the storm so to me that says there's a lot of upside to this.

Still hard to keep remembering this is more than 4 days out.

That actually gives some hang-back snow for SNE. Esp pike region and NE MA. That's kind of an awkward setup with the high getting stronger during the storm so to me that says there's a lot of upside to this.

Still hard to keep remembering this is more than 4 days out.

Euro really develops an 850 low between 18-00z. Too late for a true CCB, but enough to delay the precip shutting off completely.

Euro really develops an 850 low between 18-00z. Too late for a true CCB, but enough to delay the precip shutting off completely.

The high building in during the storm rather than retreating is a bit of a red flag for potentially shutting off the big WAA and backing the flow in the mid-levels depending on how deep that high is (and it looks deep layer).

I mean, if it's overmodeled then it's not going to help as much but it is definitely something to watch. Pretty classic look for hanging back an inverted trough too with a little mid level support.

It is definitely a system that has over performer written on it given the synoptic setup. But probably the thing I'd be most worried about is if the WCB omega thump is more diluted. That's a good way for sneaky warm layers to rear their ugly head. Second worry would be that the high trends weaker of course. But it's in a really good location right now on guidance.

The high building in during the storm rather than retreating is a bit of a red flag for potentially shutting off the big WAA and backing the flow in the mid-levels depending on how deep that high is (and it looks deep layer).

I mean, if it's overmodeled then it's not going to help as much but it is definitely something to watch. Pretty classic look for hanging back an inverted trough too with a little mid level support.

It is definitely a system that has over performer written on it given the synoptic setup. But probably the thing I'd be most worried about is if the WCB omega thump is more diluted. That's a good way for sneaky warm layers to rear their ugly head. Second worry would be that the high trends weaker of course. But it's in a really good location right now on guidance.

It looks like the Euro has been fairly steady with the system the last 3-4 runs, which is good because it's favorable for most of the forum for some accumulation.

It would also be so like the GFS to over-correct cold (since it was much warmer than the Euro last night). That's what makes that model tough to use sometimes. Very reactionary.

Yeah that seems to be the trend on overnight runs..excluding the Euro burp. ENS colder

The burp where it has been consistent for the last 3-4 runs?

And the ensembles don't have the critical 18z frame when mid levels would be the warmest. Ensembles are basically in lock step with the op regarding SNE frozen precip.

The burp where it has been consistent for the last 3-4 runs?

And the ensembles don't have the critical 18z frame when mid levels would be the warmest. Ensembles are basically in lock step with the op regarding SNE frozen precip.

It was discussed how the 00z run came in warmer than 12z . 12z was 3-6 of snow south of pike to sleet .. Now it's 1-3, then an icestorm. So it hasn't been consistent. Will mentioned why it's likely overestimating the warming as well in case you missed it

It was discussed how the 00z run came in warmer than 12z . 12z was 3-6 of snow south of pike to sleet .. Now it's 1-3, then an icestorm. So it hasn't been consistent. Will mentioned why it's likely overestimating the warming as well in case you missed it

It actually didn't really come in warmer, comparing frame to frame temps are nearly identical aloft. People were assuming it was 3-6 south of the pike, but it was never really showing that at 12z.

Either way, Will did mention why it is possibly overestimating warmth, nothing is likely or set in stone yet. At over 100 hours to go I'll lean towards pingers to the pike for now. But if you want to bank on -0.5oC at 800 mb to save you, that's fine too.

It actually didn't really come in warmer, comparing frame to frame temps are nearly identical aloft. People were assuming it was 3-6 south of the pike, but it was never really showing that at 12z.

Either way, Will did mention why it is possibly overestimating warmth, nothing is likely or set in stone yet. At over 100 hours to go I'll lean towards pingers to the pike for now. But if you want to bank on -0.5oC at 800 mb to save you, that's fine too.

I agree. It's not an all snow event south of the pike. Never a chance at that. Right now I think 2-4 or 3-5 between HFD to the Pike, then sleet and zr before an inch or 2 on backside with ULL. North of pike prob mostly snow with 6-10.. Maybe an hour or 2 of sleet

As you say, "we" toss the GFS as soon as it's initialized and we ride the Euro.

The ensembles at 12z seemed notably colder on the Euro than the Op. I haven't seen the 00z ones yet. The Euro seems to more want to shunt the high out of the way faster than the other guidance. Perhaps that is correct, but with that low just offshore Nova Scotia I don't know if that high will be so well positioned to depart as easily

That could be interesting. Could be FZDZ or perhaps even come snIzzle and ocean effect type snow if the low level layer is cold enough, on other side of CF.

I mean surface to 850 delta Ts are going to be large enough to generate some ocean effect precip. Maybe a bonus for coastal areas even when the mid level dry slot moves in? Instead of drizzle maybe we can maintain some snow showers with a really low DGZ.

Archived