e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Late December miracle early next week!?

ineedsnow

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to be in Northern Maine, They get owned no matter the outcome as they also get the overrunning that starts out on Sunday as snow right thru to weds in most of these scenarios

Yeah if you could double dip between Sat Night and Sunday....as well as Tuesday... you'll get a lot haha.

Anyway, GFS looks great for the ski areas to get warning criteria with a thump, then maybe drizzle or freezing drizzle then some back end snow with the ULL.

Maybe we're back to icestorm inland then with snow just for NNE. These solutions are all still ice cold at surface

Yeah the warmer solutions aren't causing rain over the interior. It's more about how much snow falls first.

This could easily trend back colder in the next day and then warmer again or trend warmer at 00z only to trend back colder after that. 4 days out is still a long time for these. It's not like a coastal with decent blocking where margin for error is large and the guidance is fairly predictable.

Yeah if you could double dip between Sat Night and Sunday....as well as Tuesday... you'll get a lot haha.

Anyway, GFS looks great for the ski areas to get warning criteria with a thump, then maybe drizzle or freezing drizzle then some back end snow with the ULL.

Every map i look at so far has them 12-20"+    lol

gfs_asnow_neus_25.png

Yeah the warmer solutions aren't causing rain over the interior. It's more about how much snow falls first.

This could easily trend back colder in the next day and then warmer again or trend warmer at 00z only to trend back colder after that. 4 days out is still a long time for these. It's not like a coastal with decent blocking where margin for error is large and the guidance is fairly predictable.

We need that sw to be sampled. 

Yeah I've seen a few posts thinking the reason for less snow is because of plain rain. That HP is still strong and massive ..ice cold at surface. Hopefully the Euro holds serve

Noted... so it can stay icey from DXR to HFD then?

Yes absolutely. But I still really want to caution this is 4 days out. The airmass could trend a lot weaker.

It is really easy to get the impression that this is like as confident as a 48 or 60 hour forecast. But it's got a long ways to go.

There's a sneaky warm layer on the GGEM that punches way north that I can't see on the individual panels but is showing up on the snowmaps. Lots of pingers all the way up to near the Canadian border on this scenario.

Yeah definitely something in the GGEM snow algorithm that isn't there on the GFS.  The GGEM snow maps are a little better in that regard.  Maybe it uses the warmest layer or something.  Not that myself or Dryslot would complain about this solution.

Someone will probably do well with the hang back snows up north where the ULL tries to cross.

Yeah I was thinking that, but it is pretty marginal temps at H85-H7 for a bit there, even up here.  It does crash southeast as the ULL moves overhead but the timing of the precip makes me think that may be more like snow grains for a while and not your classic like high ratio ULL snow where 0.2" QPF gives you another 3-6". 

But yes overall, I think you're right in that where the strong WAA isentropic lift and ULL snows overlap, that would be the best chance for a 10-12 spot.   Right now that could be anywhere from like RT 2 to CNE on the colder south solutions to Quebec-CAR in the warmer north tracks.

Archived