amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Late December miracle early next week!?

ineedsnow

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GGEM still warm aloft like 12z. Despite a pretty good high location. It has the big warm punch at 700-750 but pretty cold below that. So a lot of sleet. I couldn't tell just looking quickly but it may have been a little cooler than 12z. But definitely not as cold as GFS.

GGEM still warm like 12z. Despite a pretty good high location. It has the big warm punch at 700-750 but pretty cold below that. So a lot of sleet. I couldn't tell just looking quickly but it may have been a little cooler than 12z. But definitely not as cold as GFS.

there's a good ice threat from the hills of s ct through nw nj and n pa

GGEM still warm like 12z. Despite a pretty good high location. It has the big warm punch at 700-750 but pretty cold below that. So a lot of sleet. I couldn't tell just looking quickly but it may have been a little cooler than 12z. But definitely not as cold as GFS.

is GGEM ever as cold in insitu cad. Amazing how different it ends up than RGEM.

you looked at soundings right? Interested in a link to the soundings you guys looked at before you made these posts. It may be that the maps are overly heavy with sleet but where is the key. Blanket statements without looking can be wrong.

I don't care to analyze model soundings to the .1 degree.

There will not be 7" of snow at Kev's place in this event.

Here's 750mb temps at the start of the precip. All sleet for anyone south of that 0c line.

depending on the VVs and depth of that layer, I will look in depth and then decide where the changover occurs and for how long. Blanket statements about all of CT and south of the Pike were thrown out, just checking

The limiting factor for snow south of the pike especially is that the antecedent airmass in the mid levels never gets overly cold. It does north of the pike and especially CNE northward. But the cold becomes shallower the further south you go. There's a pretty tight gradient at about 800mb before the onset of the event over New England.

Still 84h to start time so trends can happen. But this is why right now you are very unlikely to see one of those events that front end thumps SW CT with 7-8".

This doesn't mean no frozen though. Sleet and some icing are a high threat.

Archived