12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Late December miracle early next week!?

ineedsnow

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really wouldn't focus all that much on model forecasts for sfc temps right now or take too much from them.  How the sfc temperatures respond is really all going to depend on the strength, location, and track of the high to the north.  However, south of the Pike and especially into CT it will be a little challenging to keep sfc temperatures cold enough, especially considering we should see some pretty decent WAA aloft.  For CT (outside perhaps of the NW Hills) I wouldn't really expect much in the way of snow (no more than a few inches at most) and a quick transition to either sleet or freezing rain.  There could be some parts of the state...maybe around BDL/Granby areas) that could perhaps get into some decent icing depends on what happens.  We should see mainly sleet and then perhaps a brutally cold rain 

The Euro has been atrocious on SWFE surface temps down by NYC the last 2-3 winters.  I don't know if its been the same up there but one event in December 2013 I think it had a 12 hour temp forecast of 44 at Newark and it verified at 21.

That's an extreme case but I've seen that with every model in swfe's.

Akways surprises me folks that take those 2m temps verbatim.. But it still happens

I don't see anyone taking them verbatim. You said that all the warming had been aloft and not at the surface and I posted model maps to show you are wrong. Didn't say anything about if I believe them or not.

I don't see anyone taking them verbatim. You said that all the warming had been aloft and not at the surface and I posted model maps to show you are wrong. Didn't say anything about if I believe them or not.

But I think the point is that warmer aloft while often doesn't effect cool 2m temps in reality in model land it tends to always happen.

But I think the point is that warmer aloft while often doesn't effect cool 2m temps in reality in model land it tends to always happen.

Yeah i agree. Models will warm things top-down, but good luck penetrating the bottom 2000 feet when you have a high just northwest of the Allegash. So often the mid-level warming it depicts correctly but they gag on lower levels.

Still anything can still happen. This high could trend east and we warm anyway. But as long as you keep the high in position Just N of ME or NH, we toss model 2m temps that try and warm.

The Euro has been atrocious on SWFE surface temps down by NYC the last 2-3 winters. I don't know if its been the same up there but one event in December 2013 I think it had a 12 hour temp forecast of 44 at Newark and it verified at 21.

I'd say the Euro has also been atrocious in coastal storms too. I've seen it forecast 1-2 feet here and in NYC with 24 hour lead time and end up with advisory level snow.

Yeah this struggles to get me my measurable...lol. Some on the front end but that's it.

Prob about 1-3 pike region and just a coating southwest of that. Still a lot of CAD so plenty of sleet and ZR but further south and along the coast you'd get more rain than previous solutions. The high position is the least favorable it's been since maybe 4 runs ago.

Archived