gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Late December miracle early next week!?

ineedsnow

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean surface to 850 delta Ts are going to be large enough to generate some ocean effect precip. Maybe a bonus for coastal areas even when the mid level dry slot moves in? Instead of drizzle maybe we can maintain some snow showers with a really low DGZ.

They'll be some in the beginning too, if 850s are that cold.

The ensembles at 12z seemed notably colder on the Euro than the Op. I haven't seen the 00z ones yet. The Euro seems to more want to shunt the high out of the way faster than the other guidance. Perhaps that is correct, but with that low just offshore Nova Scotia I don't know if that high will be so well positioned to depart as easily

00z EPS is warmer at 12z Tuesday, nearly identical at 00z Wednesday looking at the 850 mb progs.

Lots of good points brought up this morning.

Merry Christmas to peeps BTW.

This is a pretty classic SWFE. Lots of typical ingredients are in place. The strong cold high pressure, deep layer SW flow from about 800mb upwards. Good moisture source from the south.

Still plenty of questions though to be answered. The high is strong and in a spot that you typically like to see for an over performer. However, don't forget that this can tick north with these features too. It's a battle between that high and the pumping up of heights ahead of that very vigorous shortwave. Which will win? This battle is a good thing though as it usually results in very intense frontogenesis on the nose of that WCB (warm conveyor belt). So someone is probably gonna get clocked pretty good.

We have about 96 hours to figure it out.

Lots of good points brought up this morning.

Merry Christmas to peeps BTW.

This is a pretty classic SWFE. Lots of typical ingredients are in place. The strong cold high pressure, deep layer SW flow from about 800mb upwards. Good moisture source from the south.

Still plenty of questions though to be answered. The high is strong and in a spot that you typically like to see for an over performer. However, don't forget that this can tick north with these features too. It's a battle between that high and the pumping up of heights ahead of that very vigorous shortwave. Which will win? This battle is a good thing though as it usually results in very intense frontogenesis on the nose of that WCB (warm conveyor belt). So someone is probably gonna get clocked pretty good.

We have about 96 hours to figure it out.

Except this is not our normal SWFE. As Will discussed the high building in and not sliding east is going to likely mean more snow farther south and places along the north shore never sniff 32

Except this is not our normal SWFE. As Will discussed the high building in and not sliding east is going to likely mean more snow farther south and places along the north shore never sniff 32

A good SWFE always has a stout high. Otherwise it's 2" of snow than 32.1F rain. The issue is the warm tongue. Those always are tough to stop when mid level lows move west. The high more or less helps with the front end thump and locking in low level cold.

A good SWFE always has a stout high. Otherwise it's 2" of snow than 32.1F rain. The issue is the warm tongue. Those always are tough to stop when mid level lows move west. The high more or less helps with the front end thump and locking in low level cold.

One of these seasons he will learn that low level cold advection does nothing to stop a warm tongue from tickling his scalp at H7-H8

One of these seasons he will learn that low level cold advection does nothing to stop a warm tongue from tickling his scalp at H7-H8

It certainly helps to slow it down a bit, but the warm tongue is not denied if indeed the models hold onto their solution, especially south of pike. Not that I want to get to descriptive this far out, but you get the idea.

It certainly helps to slow it down a bit, but the warm tongue is not denied if indeed the models hold onto their solution, especially south of pike. Not that I want to get to descriptive this far out, but you get the idea.

Not at all unfounded when speaking within the context of a climo proclivity.

Not at all unfounded when speaking within the context of a climo proclivity.

Right now I'd hedge on the snowier type SWFE for us. Knowing the ceiling is 10" or so with the average being 2-5", I'd go 3-6" right now.

Usual caveats apply four days out though. Features could shift north for less snow or that coastal could take over for more. I feel these things wobble south and north a few days out and then slowly tick north right before game time.

I think 2-4 HFD to Pike and 6-10 pike north is most likely.. With 1/4 of icing south of pike before back to snow

Right now I'd hedge on the snowier type SWFE for us. Knowing the ceiling is 10" or so with the average being 2-5", I'd go 3-6" right now.

Usual caveats apply four days out though. Features could shift north for less snow or that coastal could take over for more. I feel these things wobble south and north a few days out and then slowly tick north right before game time.

I'd go 4-8" right now.....the current consensus is 6-10", but I want to leave wiggle room for nw tics.

It will be a decent snowfall now that nearly optimal placement of significant +pp is of high confidence.

Archived