Newest Member
    joxey
Late December miracle early next week!?

ineedsnow

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BOX just posted their HWO.

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTHERN CONNECTICUT...ALL OFMASSACHUSETTS EXCEPT BERKSHIRE COUNTY...AND RHODE ISLAND..DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME..DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SUNDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY...A WINTRY MIX OF PRECIPITATION IN THEFORM OF SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN WILL IMPACT A MAJORITYOF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND BEFORE TRANSITIONING TO RAIN. ACCUMULATIONIS EXPECTED ... THE FIRST THIS WINTER SEASON. THE GREATEST IMPACTIS EXPECTED DURING THE TUESDAY MORNING COMMUTE ... LINGERING INTOTHE AFTERNOON AND EVENING HOURS.THURSDAY...ANOTHER STORM WILL AFFECT THE REGION. THERE IS A LOWRISK FOR A WINTRY MIX OF PRECIPITATION ACROSS INTERIOR SOUTHERNNEW ENGLAND.

The GFS thermal looks a lot more like climo with a SW to NE gradient to the thermal profiles.

Like the GGEM would have me snowing while Dryslot is mixing, and that's not usually the case as I may be further north in latitude, but longitude plays a bigger role a lot.

I find it to be warm on many occasions when the other models thermal profiles are colder

Nah.. This has all the ear marks of one of those deals where models underestimate the warmth aloft and you think you will get a few inches and it starts as sleet quickly to zr. I'd be surprised if anyone from Sturbridge south sees much snow

Let's see how the ticks play out next two days...still time to iron out details for those on the edge.

Let's see how the ticks play out next two days...still time for a wiggle here and there.

I agree. I too think there will be a lil snow in CT, with the model runs at this moment. Obviously if things get warmer on subsequent runs, then the idea for any snow also decreases. That is a pretty impressive high pressure system as modeled now.

In the end, This can still tic colder so no one should toss in the towel for at least another 24hrs or so

We're less than 60 hours from start time. There's not enough time left to shift cold enough to make any appreciable difference south of I 90. Especially in light of the fact swfe trend warmer the last 48 hours. When was the last time one trended snowier and colder?

We're less than 60 hours from start time. There's not enough time left to shift cold enough to make any appreciable difference south of I 90. Especially in light of the fact swfe trend warmer the last 48 hours. When was the last time one trended snowier and colder?

This was never a large snow threat south of the pike...JMHO.

Always has a looked like a light, to perhaps moderate snowfall in this area...classic SWFE.

Deciding between 2-5", 3-6", or 4-8".

Will I have a question , would heavy rates overcome this warm area ?

293uge0.jpg

Probably not in that case.  50mb warm layer can be overcome.  Maybe 100mb with large flakes, very cold flakes, and/or dry air.  That's probably a sleet sounding.  But it could also oscilate ptype there.

But of course that's just a model forecast sounding.  Actual soundings could over/or underestimate warmth at any layer.  A forecasted warm layer could easily go isothermal and there's your snow bomb.

I'd definitely not favor the extent of the 700mb warm punch in relation to how cold 850 is on GGEM. I'd probably tone that down a bit making a forecast.

If I had to make a call now because someone that mattered actually cared what I thought, I'd go EURO/GFS compromise....3-6".

Pending the emergence of RGEM data, obviously....

Archived