Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Med/Long Range Discussion

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, getting so excited for this modeled pattern! At least the pattern will be sweet even if the results on the ground are 40s and clouds. Could be the best pattern since the last epic pattern. Yup, this pattern has "good model runs" written all over it; I'm stoked and plan to stay up late to see the pattern on the Euro. I bet we'll be seeing some seriously seasonal temps and intense high clouds showing up in the 10 day range before we know it!

I sense the sarcasm, but honestly we just endured a record warm December, and it was looking like we could end up seeing a terrible winter. To actually see a legit pattern change in the makings is awesome. Idk about you & others, but as a winter wx junky I enjoy the chase as much as the actual event. Yeah, there's nothing like the first flakes during a predicted 1-2 foot snowfall, but I get just as excited on a 00z EURO run that drops 1-2 feet 5 days out. 

Euro ens looking stormy d10-15. Shutout before then though. A lot of coastals showing up during d10-15. Mixed tracks of course but it's an encouraging sign seeing the pattern favorable for coastal storms even at long leads.

Up to 17 ind members showing an inch or more at dca. All during d10-15.

I've heard the wxbell snow algo no longer includes zr and sleet as snow on the op euro. Not sure if that's the case with the ens.

Euro ens looking stormy d10-15. Shutout before then though. A lot of coastals showing up during d10-15. Mixed tracks of course but it's an encouraging sign seeing the pattern favorable for coastal storms even at long leads.

Up to 17 ind members showing an inch or more at dca. All during d10-15.

I've heard the wxbell snow algo no longer includes zr and sleet as snow on the op euro. Not sure if that's the case with the ens.

About time.

The optimism on this board in the last couple of days has been unparalleled in my time on this forum. Hopefully we are few short days away from seeing our first modeled snowstorm within 7 days on the OPs runs.

The first thing that came to mind was the fact I have worn shorts multiple times in December. I think the tide is turning but I also worry about delays as things can get modeled quicker than reality. We will see! I am hopeful too.

Wow, getting so excited for this modeled pattern! At least the pattern will be sweet even if the results on the ground are 40s and clouds. Could be the best pattern since the last epic pattern. Yup, this pattern has "good model runs" written all over it; I'm stoked and plan to stay up late to see the pattern on the Euro. I bet we'll be seeing some seriously seasonal temps and intense high clouds showing up in the 10 day range before we know it!

I share your frustration and I think we have a little longer to go than most here think, but I do sense this is the beginning of a fundamental change in the pattern.  I still like mid January.  

I share your frustration and I think we have a little longer to go than most here think, but I do sense this is the beginning of a fundamental change in the pattern. I still like mid January.

I'm not sure what "most" think but I think everyone here sees the next 10 days don't have much hope as we transition. Then once the cold arrives and holds we might have to wait to get something to time up. It doesn't always happen right away, if at all. Sometimes it's as the pattern breaks or relaxes that we finally get a storm. But I expect by jan 10 we will be into a better pattern and be able to start tracking real threats at least. Might be a while after before we score though.

Nice to see the 0 degree 850 temps moving north of Maine again next week on the latest GFS..

Not only that, but the warm air advection at 850 mb is coming at us from NW winds from Canada.  That just shows you how little cold air there is in Canada right now, that we warm the 850 mb level with a NW flow.

The sea surface looks toasty in the gulf and along the east coast:

UmrvEAC.gif

Does that favor large coastal storms?  It would be interesting to see what the SST analogs are for this year, including the Atlantic, but I'm not sure where to find those.

in BCs defense, not sure he was hand wringing, just kind of pointing out whats going on.

:P

Lol. Just posting fantasy irony to go along with fantasy op disco.

On a more serious note...Gefs continues to lock in the cold (realtive) and good storm pattern. I can't remember the last time I've seen such consistency. Oh wait. Yes I can...the torch was very well modeled at long leads...haha

Lol. Just posting fantasy irony to go along with fantasy op disco.

On a more serious note...Gefs continues to lock in the cold (realtive) and good storm pattern. I can't remember the last time I've seen such consistency. Oh wait. Yes I can...the torch was very well modeled at long leads...haha

Everyone likes to talk about model "chaos" with this pattern change, but I'm fairly certain all the ensembles have done pretty well this year with mid range (10-15 day) guidance.  I specifically remember Matt and many others talking a week ago that this coming transition period (Jan 1- 8th) did not look ideal for anything more than seasonable.  Everything seems to be going *relatively according to plan.  The consensus on a great pattern after the 8th or so is pretty nice to see.

Everyone likes to talk about model "chaos" with this pattern change, but I'm fairly certain all the ensembles have done pretty well this year with mid range (10-15 day) guidance.  I specifically remember Matt and many others talking a week ago that this coming transition period (Jan 1- 8th) did not look ideal for anything more than seasonable.  Everything seems to be going *relatively according to plan.  The consensus on a great pattern after the 8th or so is pretty nice to see.

Agree totally. Ensembles have done a really good job since Dec 1st. We did get a fairly big head fake in Nov with a pattern similar to what we are seeing now. But that was a 1-2 day flash in the pan. This go around guidance has only been getting stronger with it. 

I'll give props to the GEFS. It was the first to pick up on the rather abrupt shift in heights over the arctic. 

Archived