• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Med/Long Range Discussion

North Balti Zen

I thought the GFS ensemble mean looked more or less pretty consistent for awhile now in the medium-longer range with the overall idea of the pattern. My guess is the Euro ensembles have been similar (though I haven't seen those directly), going by the discussion I've seen in here. Not saying it's going to be right, but the ensemble mean is primarily what I've looked at for that time period. As for the deterministic, yes, that can be all over the place of course.

The GFS individuals have had several members that are consistently zonal or even flat out SE ridge which I think has skewed the mean so it hasn't been as delicious as the Euro mean

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GIVE THE COLD AIR TIME TO COME SOUTH

[

I think people are just getting impatient because it's been so awful and for days we have been talking about this "great" pattern setting up but there is still no pretty snow maps on op runs to look at. Problem is we are coming from such a bad pattern it's going to take time for the changes to get cold established in our area. Then add in that often we do better as a blocking pattern matures and not as it establishes and we may not actually see good threats for some time. That isn't what most want to hear but it doesn't mean we won't see snow from this coming pattern just it might not be right away. At least in this coming pattern we will have a chance. The last 2 months any chance of snow was doa

SORRY  but this is just  I domnt see what is  woof worthy Jan7   on 0z   186 h  euro 

its  holds some promise but  we also  have to get the cold air into place

I'm glad you changed or edited  your post from "you're 100 percent wrong" to this...but the energy that he's talking about at 186hrs leads to the storm that you're woofing about a few days later

Yes the lack of pretty snow pictures on the operational models does contribute to my frustration.

I am also frustrated that a better pattern has been predicted for perhaps a week now while the 8-14 day outlook from the CPC has't changed much for four weeks straight (yes there were ~two 7 days periods when it called for average temperatures and the likelihood of above normal temperatures has dropped from 90-100%  confidence to 60-70%).   

I have little faith in monthly forecasts having much skill beyond the teleconnections associated with ENSO.  I suspect they've done very well recently (at least when using unsophisticated metrics to judge success) because the patterns seem to be persisting longer than I used to recall.   Remember when the pattern used to change every 10-14 days.  

I would still be stunned if we get shutout of measurable snow this January.  Its just a long wait.

I also (like JI) want a big storm.  It seems like the biggest storm I've experienced since 2010 consisted of 4 inches of snow, followed by 12 hours of light/moderate rain, and then 3 inches of snow. 

I can't even recall the last bad ice storm in PG county.  Was it 2007? Can't say that bothers me. 

The GFS individuals have had several members that are consistently zonal or even flat out SE ridge which I think has skewed the mean so it hasn't been as delicious as the Euro mean

Thanks...I see what you mean now.  I honestly haven't seen or looked at individual members but what you're saying makes sense.  So essentially the GFS mean would actually look "better" were it not for the zonal/SE ridge members, and the Euro apparently does not have those or at least as many, I'm guessing.

I think people are just getting impatient because it's been so awful and for days we have been talking about this "great" pattern setting up but there is still no pretty snow maps on op runs to look at. Problem is we are coming from such a bad pattern it's going to take time for the changes to get cold established in our area. Then add in that often we do better as a blocking pattern matures and not as it establishes and we may not actually see good threats for some time. That isn't what most want to hear but it doesn't mean we won't see snow from this coming pattern just it might not be right away. At least in this coming pattern we will have a chance. The last 2 months any chance of snow was doa

Very good points.  There is a tendency to get impatient or worried, and I'll admit now that we're on the doorstep of January it's hard not to at least a little bit.  I pretty well wrote off December long ago, so it kind of didn't bother me that we're getting completely shut out (heck, it's like having a perfect game thrown against you!).  This is sick, but since the month is lost anyhow and has been so darned warm, I've been rooting for a double-digit warm departure.  Might as well go all the way in terms of futility!

I believe a lot of the more knowledgeable medium-range mets (including from other regions, i.e., Don Sutherland and Benchmark) have been saying this same thing about the better pattern not really taking hold until about mid-January.  That said, the first part of the month won't necessarily be a torch or a shutout, but a gradual turn to colder from how I understand it.  Whether it materializes as the indications have been the past several days or we produce anything out of it remains to be seen, of course.

Yea seems like we may need to establish a better pattern first to get the colder air more firmly entrenched in the east, otherwise we may need to rely too much on timing which, around here, is playing with house money.

Huge event forming on the Day 9-10 EURO, but it would almost certainly be a Lakes Cutter. Last night DT was bashing me saying the 186 hr EURO didn't look good, but it didn't make sense to me because the wave I was talking about & the setup was the one that lead to the time frame he was woofing about yesterday. 

Huge event forming on the Day 9-10 EURO, but it would almost certainly be a Lakes Cutter. Last night DT was bashing me saying the 186 hr EURO didn't look good, but it didn't make sense to me because the wave I was talking about & the setup was the one that lead to the time frame he was woofing about yesterday. 

Not sure if it would be a lakes cutter with a lot of confluence to the north and a strong high pressure coming down. If anything, it would probably transfer.

Not sure if it would be a lakes cutter with a lot of confluence to the north and a strong high pressure coming down. If anything, it would probably transfer.

Not much confluence honestly. The center of the HP is in Western Canada & the SE Ridge is booming. It is a day 9-10 time frame though. However, DT's event isn't looking too hot, though I do think we'll have a threat sometime in Jan though 

If you like cold and snow, 0z EPS is by far the best run of the year. Even has a weak signal inside of d10.

Bob can you confirm what JB posted a few minutes ago that the Euro ensembles day 10 to 15, have remarkable similarities to the Jan 12th to 14th blizzard of 1964. Thanks

If you like cold and snow, 0z EPS is by far the best run of the year. Even has a weak signal inside of d10.

Hey Bob...how do the individual EPS members as a whole look, and the overall mean?  Snow Goose the other day implied that several individual GFS ensemble members displayed a zonal flow or southeast ridge look, which skewed the GFS mean somewhat (I think that's what he was saying, anyhow).  Thus, though the GFS mean looked pretty good in the medium-longer range, it did not look as nice as the Euro mean.  Made sense to me, and perhaps partly explains why even the GFS deterministic runs in the past day or so have been all over the place (more than before?) in that time period.  So I'm assuming, based on all this, that the EPS members show fewer of the "unfavorable" elements compared to the GEFS ones.

6z GFS one of the best GFS runs of the winter. 

It did have a "blocky" sort of look as you go out in time from what I could tell.  And quite active with the potential for an event or two in there if my eyes don't totally deceive me.  My only concern (sort of) is that while there are some cold shots, it looks almost as if we're on the edge much of the time with the main cold pretty well north of us as flow undercuts the PNA ridging (the GFS seems to weaken the ridging too, but who knows).  This may be what DT was referring to earlier about "waiting for the cold to move south."

Just noticed that. Looks like our first legitimate really cold day. Euro keeps my area in the mid 20's for highs.

0z euro is has a stronger, sharper trough that digs further south than the 0z GFS. That High moving in is stronger. If the more extensive upper trough verifies, there might be some snow showers/flurries in spots.

0z euro is has a stronger, sharper trough that digs further south than the 0z GFS. That High moving in is stronger. If the more extensive upper trough verifies, there might be some snow showers/flurries in spots.

Yup. Some flurries on Monday afternoon or evening wouldn't surprise me at all. Best chance far n/w obviously.

Bob can you confirm what JB posted a few minutes ago that the Euro ensembles day 10 to 15, have remarkable similarities to the Jan 12th to 14th blizzard of 1964. Thanks

Heh, jb being jb. Good storm pattern? Definitely. Good blizzard pattern? Not for us. And throwing the B word out there is a bit sensational.

Archived