• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Med/Long Range Discussion

North Balti Zen

This board is tough to figure at times. Some saying it's an awesome pattern coming up, some saying it's not good at all.

Time perspective is important. We're looking beyond fantasy range into fantasy fantasy range right now. Last week of Jan looks warm on a monthly model. Subject to change every 3-4 days.

Jan 10th- 20th look like winter.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many strong Jan nino's have a well below normal west/northwest the entire month....amazing, when is that crap going to end. Essentially weeklies have a serviceable pattern days Dec 12- 20, then we go back to Dec weather until atleast Feb. If you buy into the weeklies. Model hugging CFS right now...haha

Considering the current big shift under way was completely missed by the weeklies, I'm just not going to worry about it. This has been an unusual nino in some respects. The warm Dec is no surprise but why it was warm was kinda weird. Aleutian and SE ridge combo?

Not really long range, but the 18z GFS ticked a bit colder with the temps on Tuesday. Widespread 20s in the afternoon with lows in the teens in the cities.

gfs_t2max_washdc_21.png

With the warmth of the Chesapeake Bay right now, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some Bay effect snows somewhere in the Delmarva or eastern VA Tuesday into Wednesday. That's assuming, of course, the right wind trajectory.

As for the weeklies, they completely missed the decent cold period scheduled to hit here in the 10-20 days, so I wouldn't worry about them yet.

Watch the threat towards mid month end up a southern slider. The position and strength of that cold vortex in Canada will be a factor.. if it is displaced too far south, could lead to a suppressed storm track. Lol if the SE gets a major snow event and we are still shutout, the Panic room thread will be very active.

The fact that we are concerned about the pv suppressing a storm is a good thing.  It happens before every good one!  My new Year's resolution is to be more optimistic.

Considering the current big shift under way was completely missed by the weeklies, I'm just not going to worry about it. This has been an unusual nino in some respects. The warm Dec is no surprise but why it was warm was kinda weird. Aleutian and SE ridge combo?

Agree, the why Dec was warm was not expected, what's changed to shake that...the relax so far will be the day 10-13 potential and a reload to Dec could occur. I don't think it will but persistence can be tough to shake...JMA seasonal agrees, shows buried SW, -PNA, for weeks 3-4 as primary.

I think everyone expects a relax but to what and how long will cause some angst. We (NC) are used to not having snow, atleast it may be warm.

If you want white dreams tonight, check out the new Canadian monthlies for February and March. Youzers!

Start here with February temps and the check out 500mb and precip maps for both months. A little wetter for February would have been nice, but I guess we can't have everything.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=cansips&region=us&pkg=T2ma&runtime=2016010100&fh=1&xpos=0&ypos=19

If you want white dreams tonight, check out the new Canadian monthlies for February and March. Youzers!

Start here with February temps and the check out 500mb and precip maps for both months. A little wetter for February would have been nice, but I guess we can't have everything.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=cansips&region=us&pkg=T2ma&runtime=2016010100&fh=1&xpos=0&ypos=19

Acceptable. Even though it looks a bit dry, the overall idea is the mean storm track is to our SE along/ off the coast. This is a good thing.

Archived