Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January Med/Long Range Discussion

North Balti Zen

No..not at all.  

My comment was tongue in cheek from years of watching the north trend.  I like where we sit...especially after seeing a south trend in the past few years. Hopefully in the next few days, we'll know the amplitude of the trough and can come to a better consensus then.

Nut

In all seriousness our entire region is starting to look quite promising pattern-wise imo. Look at Boston ~hr 204 on the 12Z euro. ;)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have my records in front of me but I think I got 6.5" with that cold storm but was probably less than .5 LE. Would be nice to get widespread 10"+ storm with a week of cold temps...then followed up by another 10"+ storm...lol

I'd like to get a 6" snow with about 1/4" freezing rain on it followed by an icebox then followed by about 30" spread over about a month.

Then I'd like a 20" snow in late Feb followed by two weeks of record cold followed by torch.

Hey, I don't ask for much.

Top 2 analogs from Euro for 6-10 are near snowstorms. One is post 2009 storm, other is pre 1963 storm. The three dates after all had significant cold that followed.  Cold may be the dominant signal but I think it's also catching on the possibility of a solid snow event as well.

aRzr92J.gif

GEFS was awesome this run. Great signal for a couple of storms to run up the coast. It would make some sense to get hit at the beginning of a pattern change. Then maybe again once the pattern starts to relax. I can guarantee that the storm next week will happen just as modeled. Because I will be in Rochester NY that entire week and would miss all of it. At least the lake effect would be solid up there.

Great posts Ian. I really like the h5 analog stuff. Imo- part of what makes Wes such a good snow forecaster is using that approach. I've only recently started using it the last couple years. Too bad wxbell doesn't have it like SV. You should tweet Ryan and tell him to get on it. Lol

Yeah I've been tempted to ask him about adding them... ;) 

EPS is money looking. Closed sfc low NE of OBX at 6z Jan 11.

Yeah I've been tempted to ask him about adding them... ;)

EPS is money looking. Closed sfc low NE of OBX at 6z Jan 11.

MSLP panels look great but oddly the ensemble members don't look as good as 0z. Must be a fair # of members with temp problems for us I know I'm nitpicking and it looks great but I thought mean snowfall would be higher. Only a week to figure it out in mon fantasy land.

Very cold air again d11+. -15 mean 850 line is pretty close to us. Gotta get some snowcover to maximize morning lows. Lol

Correct me if I'm wrong but that is some mighty nice clustering for something this far out. I'm getting a little giddy and have to keep reminding myself that we live in DC. 

yeah seems quite clustered. the second is even arguably more clustered than the first along the whole track.

Setup is still quite good at the end of the eps run. West based -nao, 50/50, and -epo ridge. Plenty of cold air. As long as the pac keeps sending energy in either stream we are in business. Very good look for a SE storm too.

I'm trying hard to not have too high of expectations but it's really hard not to right now.

18z GFS is the biggest model run since the 12z OP Euro! Should be telling!

In all seriousness tho, I think my Southern friends (read: Mid-Atlantic subforum) share the fun this winter, moreso than in recent years.

Loving the look of the -epo with the piece of the ridge breaking off and setting a pseudo West-based -nao in the longer range. Keeps the confluence in a better spot and keeps the pattern busy.

Fun times ahead!

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Archived