Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January Med/Long Range Discussion

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great lakes low screwjob looking like for storm 2

If you look at the vort panels and compare to previous runs there is distinct separation between the 2 shortwaves this run. Pretty important if we stand a chance with wave 2. Wave 1 is prob toast. The bigger the gap between the 2 the better chance for us. 12z gfs was a big improvement there regardless.

Resolving the pac energy is crazy tough at this lead for any model. It was a good step.

What the hell is everybody talking about March for?  Let's analyze what's right in front of us, which is a pretty damn promising pattern for the next few weeks!  We may not get the HECS everybody hopes for, but a few inches looks promising, and probably more likely than 0" over the next 3 weeks. There will be plenty of time to talk about March, but now is not the time.

I like your thinking!

That GL low just sat there and spun it's little heart out while screwing up our air mass. Kick that out sooner and we'd be in business. Sounds so easy!

Wouldn't take much, parts of PA are at or below freezing, not far above the boarder. The snow is close!

Wouldn't take much, parts of PA are at or below freezing, not far above the boarder. The snow is close!

Yup, for an OP run in the midst of all this energy and multiple waves, I thought this was a step in the right direction as Bob alluded to. You could tell the 11th low was going to 'do better' this run since there was spacing after the first vort.

Live to see another model run! ;)

If you look at the vort panels and compare to previous runs there is distinct separation between the 2 shortwaves this run. Pretty important if we stand a chance with wave 2. Wave 1 is prob toast. The bigger the gap between the 2 the better chance for us. 12z gfs was a big improvement there regardless.

Resolving the pac energy is crazy tough at this lead for any model. It was a good step.

Not much data out there in the north central Pacific to be had either Bob correct?

Not much data out there in the north central Pacific to be had either Bob correct?

I don't worry about that stuff too much. Satellites do a good job with timing in general. That's the only thing to discuss right now.

A congealed and/or closely spaced evolution isn't going to do it regardless of strength of ind waves. Wave 1 seems likely to screw up midlevels for a time. The more space we can get between the 2 is the only tangible thing to focus on at this range. More space the better.

Seems like a low prob event right now but wouldn't take a miracle to get right. Any trends towards more space are good.

Bob & others, anyone a bit concerned on how 'odd' for lack of a better word the GFS handles 500mb shortwaves. It just seems extremely different than the old GFS. I mean tonight's solution Day 9-10 is a joke the way it handled the lows.

I don't think much about ops beyond d7. The spacing I was referring to in my previous post was d5-6. Beyond d7 there is too much error growth and chaos to drill down into any specifics. Same with the euro op. D7-10 period isn't worth over thinking.

The difference at h5 between 00z and 6z gfs is ridiculous. Just reinforces the notion of not trusting operational runs beyond day 5....maybe even day 3 in this pattern. Euro is not perfect either but at least you can pick out the same features/energy between runs.  

Looking at 500 @ 240 on the EPS, do we want to see that trough axis settle deeper? Tilted more to the SW for us to really be in the game?

ETA: larger scale image

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_11.png

Considering the fact that the Euro completely rejuvenated its qpf in one run, I like what I see!

Seems the Euro at 192 would be good for western areas. 995 in eastern nc with 850's below freezing. Can anybody with access fine tune it for me?

In addition to what was said about temps the precip is kinda lame too. The heavy stuff stays east of 95 where temps are torching. Only light stuff gets west. Perhaps if the heavier qpf made it further inland it might cool the column more. Typical stj system cut off from the northern stream where precip is all rain. We do much better when the stj is crashing into already established cold.

Bob & others, anyone a bit concerned on how 'odd' for lack of a better word the GFS handles 500mb shortwaves. It just seems extremely different than the old GFS. I mean tonight's solution Day 9-10 is a joke the way it handled the lows. 

No.

Archived