• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January Med/Long Range Discussion

North Balti Zen

The Great Lakes are still open water so the lake effect machine would get cranking.

look at the cams....

http://www.northernchateau.com/northernchateau.htm

guns already cranking.  they REALLY need it as that area is highly dependent on snomobiling/winter sports.

hope what they arleady got (closing in on 12'' at some locals) sticks around for them to salvage some much needed business.

Nut

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z GFS is the biggest model run since the 12z OP Euro! Should be telling!

In all seriousness tho, I think my Southern friends (read: Mid-Atlantic subforum) share the fun this winter, moreso than in recent years.

Loving the look of the -epo with the piece of the ridge breaking off and setting a pseudo West-based -nao in the longer range. Keeps the confluence in a better spot and keeps the pattern busy.

Fun times ahead!

Sent from my LG-V410

It's gone. Lotta rain than cold and dry.

Funky looking system for next weekend on the GFS.

Bet it ends up being our first snow.

Funky is a good way to describe it. Wonky would also work. And I concur. It could fail, but it sure looks like a pattern ripe for a winter storm for at least parts of the MA. The middle/end of the following week might be better.

Funky is a good way to describe it. Wonky would also work. And I concur. It could fail, but it sure looks like a pattern ripe for a winter storm for at least parts of the MA. The middle/end of the following week might be better.

I'm right there with you. Some may be distraught over the big storm not showing up but I think we are sitting pretty. It has a light snow event next weekend over my are for about 40 hours. LOL...I don't see it. Just a funky-wonky run.

I'm right there with you. Some may be distraught over the big storm not showing up but I think we are sitting pretty. It has a light snow event next weekend over my are for about 40 hours. LOL...I don't see it. Just a funky-wonky run.

Tight spacing between the short waves is going to cause mayhem out in time. I agree with you. We are sitting in a good spot if you take all guidance into consideration. Both waves can do something.

The one thing I didn't like about the euro op and ens is the Great Lakes low. It's on enough ens members to worry a bit. A lot of wet but not white solutions have it.

As far as the 18z gfs goes...I believe it as much as 12z's multi hecs.

Maybe this isn't the place to do this, but could someone give me a dumbed down explanation of what H5 is and what we want it to look like?

H5 is the 500 Millibar level soundings that are combined into your 500MB map

i.e. http://wxmaps.org/pix/avnmr.vort.html map for example.

Look at http://www.atmo.arizona.edu/students/courselinks/fall12/atmo336/lectures/sec1/info500mb.html

Maybe this isn't the place to do this, but could someone give me a dumbed down explanation of what H5 is and what we want it to look like?

I'll pm you some nice and easy to understand links tomorrow. H5 or 500mb or 500hpa are interchangeable terms. H5 plots depict what is going on 18k+/- up in the atmosphere (upper levels) and are very important in regards to what is going on at the surface. Probably the most important plots to understand when it comes to winter weather.

When you see us talk about "heights" it means upper level pressure and when we talk about "vorticity" it means upper level counter clockwise spin or "energy" that spawns storms.

We can't count on anything more that 6 days out.

There's some truth to this. Beyond 6, the gfs has had some issues of late. The issues have been suppression that doesn't happen and getting lied to far east. If that holds, I'd expect the first one might be too far west but the second might be a much better event.

As for me, I want to see the Euro show snow before I'm going to get excited. Word here is that the Euro is a better model when it comes to southern stream systems.

There's some truth to this. Beyond 6, the gfs has had some issues of late. The issues have been suppression that doesn't happen and getting lied to far east. If that holds, I'd expect the first one might be too far west but the second might be a much better event.

As for me, I want to see the Euro show snow before I'm going to get excited. Word here is that the Euro is a better model when it comes to southern stream systems.

We still have such a long way to go before any final solution will be set. I really wish people would remember that. We have a better pattern coming. A storm may happen, it may not

People getting way too invested in possible storms that are still 7+ days and more into the future.

It's nothing new around here.  The next few days are going to be awful in this forum.  Old timers know how it goes.   Arlwx will be talking about stupid flamethrowers...Amped will be making awful posts picking out the most negative parts of the model...AlaskaETC will be saying it's over based on a 200 hour prog.   It's winter time in DC.  Welcome.  

Archived