EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January Med/Long Range Discussion

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pattern overall is so so. Lowest heights biased in the SW and the epo ridge relaxes. However, it's far far better than anything we saw in Dec. That's the burning question right now. Do we get a taste of winter in early Jan and then go back to agony or are we in the game? Weeklies would imply we are in the game at least.

Even with temps AN weeks 3-4, mean 0c 850 contour stays south of us the whole period. If any month can produce with AN temps on the means it would be Jan. And it doesn't look like a dry pattern so there's that.

Lastly, considering we look to be going through a rather abrupt pattern change that wasn't modeled well its hard to have any confidence in 15-30+ day guidance. Interesting stuff going on right now.

I was reading your post and going "yeah, but..." And then you said in your last paragraph exactly what I was thinking.

Yea, it's nice. Also added 850 temp contours. Wxbell does a good job keeping weenies sucked in. Lol

Almost about time. I'm still a little torn over Wxbell and Accu. Does Wxbell have skewts for the Euro?

WB does have the new para monthly/weekly which goes out 46 days. Shows relax in mid Jan and then better look end of Jan into Feb.

Mitch - it's time, you have your first real threat to track too. We can also save money next winter with a big Nina.

:lmao:

Good to see you back posting again

Thanks!  Always nice to be here.  I've just been waiting for...like everyone else...a pattern change. Good to see that we will be heading toward more 'seasonable' weather.  Gotta walk before we can run...and right now...we're crawling! ;)

Took a weenie glance at the 21z SREFs at hr 87 to see what it showed... looks decent :lol:

1044 H just above Lake Superior and SLP looks to be in SE OK

Can't believe we are talking the possibility of frozen. If you read LWX forecast discussion they aren't even hinting at it. I can't say I blame them. Curious to see the hohoho run at 0Z.

Can't believe we are talking the possibility of frozen. If you read LWX forecast discussion they aren't even hinting at it. I can't say I blame them. Curious to see the hohoho run at 0Z.

They must be at least considering it because my forecast, from LWX, has rain and snow for Monday night.

And we are back to our regularly scheduled program. Glad I didn't get too emotionally vested in this one.

Well, I've been sort of "ho-hum" on that event next week, in fact I didn't even pay any attention to it until people on here started discussing the possibility.  I wouldn't rule it totally out yet, though.  If we get 50 and rain, well, I don't consider that a real "loss" as I don't expect anything through the end of this month at least.  Most of my focus has been on the period after the New Year, to be honest.

Let's see what the ensembles did first before jumping off the bus

Apologies if my earlier comment sounded dismissive to you or to anyone else...not my intent at all.  But I seriously haven't payed much of any attention to this possible event until I saw others getting more into it.  Didn't even think there was a remote possibility of anything through the remainder of December.  At any rate, yes, it is too early to totally give up with one not very favorable deterministic run of the GFS.  As others have said, the bar is kind of low right now and I'm not expecting much (if anything) out of this event.  But the fact that there's even something to track in a month of record or near-record heat is kind of amazing.

Ensembles are giving me my Christmas present. Great EPS run last night. Not only does it show a nice -ao developing like the GEFS, now the highest heights in Canada are up in the yukon and not south of Hudson. Really sweet panels late in the run. Looks like SoCal will get meaningful rain. STJ looks great again. 

I'm tossing the last weeklies run. Week 3 is meaningless. H5 pattern is much different than the 0z run on the 24th. Probably one of the best winter patterns I've seen since 09-10 on the means (def not that good though). Too good not to post...

post-2035-0-64721700-1451056321_thumb.jp

Ensembles are giving me my Christmas present. Great EPS run last night. Not only does it show a nice -ao developing like the GEFS, now the highest heights in Canada are up in the yukon and not south of Hudson. Really sweet panels late in the run. Looks like SoCal will get meaningful rain. STJ looks great again.

I'm tossing the last weeklies run. Week 3 is meaningless. H5 pattern is much different than the 0z run on the 24th. Probably one of the best winter patterns I've seen since 09-10 on the means (def not that good though). Too good not to post...

gameon.JPG

Holy hohoho. That is sweet. I hope this holds. And would like to ask for some flakes for New Years Day since someone upstairs is in a giving mood.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs-ens&region=us&pkg=mslp_pcpn_frzn&runtime=2015122506&fh=12&xpos=0&ypos=0

TT is a good site for GEFS 500 maps and other data. Wxbell is where it's at if you want deeper information like teleconnection progs and deep dive stuff for temps, etc.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Bob, it's beautiful. If the pattern were to go from putrid to good in such a short period it'd be quite a sight to behold. Long way to go obviously, but you can't help but feel good seeing the two most reliable pieces of guidance in virtual lock step for a pretty good hemispheric shift.

Ninos can flip fast which makes the 'it takes a while' not that solid of a comment. Then again 97-98 had an -ao so we'll see.

Archived