• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
January Med/Long Range Discussion

North Balti Zen

We still have a long way to go with the Monday night/Tuesday event but this will be strictly a New England snow/ice event IMO. I don't know why the NYC forum is rejoicing right now. This has all the earmarks of moving north and I doubt NYC even sees as much as a half inch out of it. Guaranteed the Euro ensembles look different from the operational. SWFE historically strongly favor New England anyway, not NYC south

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We still have a long way to go with the Monday night/Tuesday event but this will be strictly a New England snow/ice event IMO. I don't know why the NYC forum is rejoicing right now. This has all the earmarks of moving north and I doubt NYC even sees as much as a half inch out of it. Guaranteed the Euro ensembles look different from the operational. SWFE historically strongly favor New England anyway, not NYC south

Um... wrong forum?

More suited for banter probably but look at the EPO on this 12z euro run. It just tanks starting on the 29th and stays strongly negative through the first few days of Jan. Weaker signal but still shown around the same time on the 00z EPS.

Very nice PNA/EPO combination, but no AO/NAO help.

Yeah but how short is the window and how fast do we torch again...that's what we should be looking at

Not paying attention to any of the trends huh?

And why would you be posting in this forum?

April is my guess on the next torch.

Looks like anomalous warmth is over soon. My guess is we go through some ups and downs in Jan but awfulness could be over for the balance of the remainder of met winter. Otoh- high end cold may never happen for an extended period. Just a typical nino style Wag.

I really like what is happening around the pole and pna region. I could envision an extended period that will offer some chances and not a hit and run type of deal. But I'm an optimist so...

Looks like anomalous warmth is over soon. My guess is we go through some ups and downs in Jan but awfulness could be over for the balance of the remainder of met winter. Otoh- high end cold may never happen for an extended period. Just a typical nino style Wag.

I really like what is happening around the pole and pna region. I could envision an extended period that will offer some chances and not a hit and run type of deal. But I'm an optimist so...

Keep it coming Bob!

About a dozen eps members support something similar to the GFS idea. Still not a strong signal but double what it was from the 0z run. 

By support do you mean 1-2 sloppy inches before the rain? Or just some snow in the air?

I would look for myself, but I cancelled my WxBell subscription until the first real threat emerges.

By support do you mean 1-2 sloppy inches before the rain? Or just some snow in the air?

I would look for myself, but I cancelled my WxBell subscription until the first real threat emerges.

The chance at any frozen (snow/sleet). A couple have what looks to be a period of decent snow but it's hard to say since ind member panels are slp/precip/surface temps. No midlevels. We all know how screwed up the snow algo is @ wxbell. 

Other news...eps is caving to the gefs for a -ao developing...

At this point, it doesn't matter to me. My wife and I took off next week so I'm chasing. And with our plan to go somewhere Monday to Wednesday, timing is perfect. Just a matter of exactly where. Personally, I think it comes further south in time, but we'll see.

I agree, the cut offs so far in Oct/Nov trended south inside 5-6 days. GFS/GEFS leading the way so far but inside 84 hours I would think the EPS takes over. That was a big jump on the EPS...maybe this front ends you guys and then you dry slot as it tracks over you.

The chance at any frozen (snow/sleet). A couple have what looks to be a period of decent snow but it's hard to say since ind member panels are slp/precip/surface temps. No midlevels. We all know how screwed up the snow algo is @ wxbell.

That last bit is the real news. Sure we could luck out with perfect timing but with the epo and Pna looking to cooperate and an active storm track if we could get some AO help things could get really good around here in January.

I did notice the -AO look now showing up on the eps.  IMO, the eps has trended toward the gefs in the 11-15 over the course of the past few weeks.  In other words, gefs have lead the way. Im just a weenie and have no data to back that up...just going by the data in my head, which has a tendency to be contaminated this time of year  :santa:

Strong CAD sig at 102

102 is IP and 105/108 barely snow at DCA

The lower levels look warmer, slightly, on the crude maps. That doesn't make sense given a stronger and better positioned high and a slightly further west low.

Long way to go but I suspect we need that low a bit farther east for heavier precip and maybe a touch slower as well.

Weeklies look like standard nino stuff through the end of the run. AN temps on the means but acceptable h5 pattern weeks 3-4.

Might get some ao/nao cooperation after all. Not a strong signal or perfect setup there but AN heights in the ao/nao space show up. Active STJ both weeks.

It's nice they added 5/7 days means.

Hearing that we have an active stj is music to my ears.

The pattern overall is so so. Lowest heights biased in the SW and the epo ridge relaxes. However, it's far far better than anything we saw in Dec. That's the burning question right now. Do we get a taste of winter in early Jan and then go back to agony or are we in the game? Weeklies would imply we are in the game at least.

Even with temps AN weeks 3-4, mean 0c 850 contour stays south of us the whole period. If any month can produce with AN temps on the means it would be Jan. And it doesn't look like a dry pattern so there's that.

Lastly, considering we look to be going through a rather abrupt pattern change that wasn't modeled well its hard to have any confidence in 15-30+ day guidance. Interesting stuff going on right now.

Almost about time. I'm still a little torn over Wxbell and Accu. Does Wxbell have skewts for the Euro?

Nope. Unless I haven't uncovered it yet. Wxbell is loaded to the gills with all kinds of time sucking model data. Get a 7 day free trial and then after you get sucked in and start paying...take one for the team and get accuwx too for soundings...lol

Nope. Unless I haven't uncovered it yet. Wxbell is loaded to the gills with all kinds of time sucking model data. Get a 7 day free trial and then after you get sucked in and start paying...take one for the team and get accuwx too for soundings...lol

Welp, that's what I was sorta thinking since everybody has Wxbell and very few "usual" posters seem to have it.

Archived