• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January Med/Long Range Discussion

North Balti Zen

One thing the globals seem to agree on is a pretty steep pna ridge popping and tightly spaced shortwaves embedded in the flow. This is going to cause model mayhem at ranges outside of 5 days. Since we're still 8+/- days away from that pattern even being in place it's pretty silly to dissect any op run.

With that being said I do like seeing multiple vorts and closed ull's showing up on the ops. Nothing worse than getting a good +pna going that only keeps us cool and dry with sheared vorts and no moisture. I doubt that will be the case during the first week of Jan.

With the rather sharp ridge/trough configuration that we keep seeing, shortwaves "should" have a good chance at amplifying or even closing off. We just need to hope that one sets it's sights on us. Anywhere from the SE to NNE is probably in the game from what I'm seeing right now. Just gotta keep waiting it out for another week until the medium range has more clarity.

One negative on the latest AO are the low heights over southern Greenland and Iceland.  Not a deal killer but it does make it a tad harder. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One negative on the latest AO are the low heights over southern Greenland and Iceland. Not a deal killer but it does make it a tad harder.

Yea, getting all the pieces to work together for us hasn't happened in 5 years. Bad run of luck there. The brief window looks similar to the last couple years. Shotgun style instead of rifle with a scope.

Total wag odds at measurable though the first week of Jan...40%

Yea, getting all the pieces to work together for us hasn't happened in 5 years. Bad run of luck there. The brief window looks similar to the last couple years. Shotgun style instead of rifle with a scope.

Total wag odds at measurable though the first week of Jan...40%

That's a pretty good guess at something measurable and maybe the window won't be as brief. December 1990 saw hideous warmth for almost the entire month yet we lucked out and got a decent storm late in the month sandwiched between 2 extremely warm stretches.

Also had  a decent event in January 1991 I think around the 6th or 7th. Even the horrid winters of 1992,1999, 2002,  and 2008 all saw measurable snow that occurred during small windows of opportunity. The Feb. 87 storm could probably be included as well and there are probably several more examples I am overlooking. Bottom line would be it is not as difficult as we think getting something decent following long periods of extreme warmth. It just seems so bleak now because of the crazy nature of this torch.

Eh, getting cold at the midlevels AND surface is pretty big challenge. It's a cad/front end setup but when you have a mountain to overcome...

It will likely depend on how strong the H is... if its stronger than forecast right now... things could get interesting in a hurry... some of the individ ensemble members from both the 12z and 18z run had this type of solution

It will likely depend on how strong the H is... if its stronger than forecast right now... things could get interesting in a hurry... some of the individ ensemble members from both the 12z and 18z run had this type of solution

GGEM still coming out on WxBell but I'm out to 120. 850s and surface below freezing in western MD. Could be Wisp's first storm of the season.

Perhaps... but I am merely interested in the individ ensembles to see if they agree with the OP. For this "storm", this is the first time we have even come close to the 0c 850 line

Probably true on the 850's but the Gfs has show the possibility of frozen with this since about day 10. The Euro isn't very far away from the same look.

Archived