joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Discussion

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's really hard to say. This flip kinda just jumped on us. Definitely quicker than anyone expected. The +pna is pretty normal for Nino's so that isn't that surprising. The -epo is so I would think that would be more of a transient feature but wearing weenie glasses you can envision the -epo/+pna giving us at least a chance or 2 at something and buy some time to let the ao/nao continue to improve. Tonight's weeklies could give some insight. The 0z euro ens looked pretty good so rolling that forward another 2 weeks could look nice.

The current pattern advertised d10-15 is similar to the end of week 3 from the last weeklies but some notable differences with a more favorable trough axis and not hanging heights back to the west nearly as much. 

Hoping we can get a period with a sustained +PNA, and with at least some help from the EPO at times. The Scandinavian ridge has had some persistence in the guidance, and the weenie in me sees positive height anomalies building westward towards Greenland going forward. Be nice to time a legit west-based block, even if it is short lived, to go along with an improving Pacific for 10 days or so.

I don't think anything inside of 2 weeks will be great either. Outside of some sort of lucky timed event, it would go against logic and history to think we just flip from a record warmth pattern right into a good snow setup. Just have to wait it out. From the way it looks now, there is virtually no chance at anything until after the 3rd of Jan or so. That's a long ways out as it is. 

All guidance looks pretty similar to this as far as temps go. It's a long trip back to normal. All we can do is hope the +pna hangs for a couple weeks. My hunch is that it does. When I lived out west, good storm cycles and/or stormy months almost always had a 1-2 week period of predominantly blue bird skies before going back to stormy. I can see the west ridging for a couple weeks on the means. Makes sense in my brain at least. 

post-2035-0-10821300-1450719438_thumb.jp

The 12z GEFS is on board with some type of "pattern change" (mostly to normal).  The SE through appears at the 500mb levels, which is a great sign in terms of following certain analogs (1983) over others (1998).  It's still really far out even for the ensembles.  It could easily be a 3-4 day transient switch that flips back to fire hose. Not seeing that just yet on the ensembles.  By Christmas, we should have a fair assessment how real any pattern "shift" is. 

Normal temperatures are not necessarily a bad sign for us in terms of snow the first 2 weeks of January with a massive high pressure signal near Hudson Bay.  Storms that undercut us during a "normal" airmass in early-mid January can be big producers. We are so used to looking at 850mb anomaly maps in mid Feb-early March from the last 4 years, I suppose.

The GFS right now beyond 5 days is risky business. It's having a hard time.

I wouldn't worry too much about the op except perhaps it shows how we can have a cool short intermixed with warmer storms which would fit strong Nino climo. In these convos I think we tend to talk to ourselves more than others sometimes. I haven't seen anyone suggest a December pattern is likely in Jan. But I'd probably call these pattern shifts more than a wholesale pattern change. It looks rather strong Nino January to me ahead which would suggest it won't be easy going around here and that no long-term favorable PNA/EPO is likely. Then again I think the AO and NAO matter more anyway.. so let's just try to get those neutral or negative. 

I wouldn't worry about the long range GFS andinstead would concentrate on the pattern shown on the ensemble mean which definitely is an improvement during the 1st week f January.  The ridge in the west should deliver some cooler than normal temps though I'm still not sure about the sticking power.  The GEFS shows the AO goign negative but with heights above normal near the Maritimes which usually means the cold temps alternate with temps a bit above normal but not the torching above that we've seen so the temps might average otu pretty close to normal.  We need to see some southern stream energy showing up which might happen as we get closer to that time period through that often shows up later in January in Nino years. 

I wouldn't worry about the long range GFS andinstead would concentrate on the pattern shown on the ensemble mean which definitely is an improvement during the 1st week f January.  The ridge in the west should deliver some cooler than normal temps though I'm still not sure about the sticking power.  The GEFS shows the AO goign negative but with heights above normal near the Maritimes which usually means the cold temps alternate with temps a bit above normal but not the torching above that we've seen so the temps might average otu pretty close to normal.  We need to see some southern stream energy showing up which might happen as we get closer to that time period through that often shows up later in January in Nino years. 

I'm looking forward to your next outlook. Hopefully guidance will continue to converge on a general pattern that isn't a guaranteed shutout and also doesn't keep pushing it forward in time. 

Good point about the + height anomaly over the maritimes. Even through we may get a period of at least neutral ao/nao, the general h5 look as advertised is not one that would lock in persistent cold. It would still be progressive flow but at least amplified and not persistent warm. 

I'm pretty surprised at how over the last couple days models have been showing a fairly rapid transition away from the big blue ball pv in the troposphere. It's been rock solid bad around the pole for nearly 6 weeks straight and all of a sudden ens guidance is seeing that changing fairly quickly.  It's not strat related from what I can tell. But I profess no skill at understanding the strat and how it can affect the atmosphere below it.

Hopefully Matt's wish for a burning orange blob over the davis straight happens by mid month..haha 

I'm looking forward to your next outlook. Hopefully guidance will continue to converge on a general pattern that isn't a guaranteed shutout and also doesn't keep pushing it forward in time. 

Good point about the + height anomaly over the maritimes. Even through we may get a period of at least neutral ao/nao, the general h5 look as advertised is not one that would lock in persistent cold. It would still be progressive flow but at least amplified and not persistent warm. 

I'm pretty surprised at how over the last couple days models have been showing a fairly rapid transition away from the big blue ball pv in the troposphere. It's been rock solid bad around the pole for nearly 6 weeks straight and all of a sudden ens guidance is seeing that changing fairly quickly.  It's not strat related from what I can tell. But I profess no skill at understanding the strat and how it can affect the atmosphere below it.

Hopefully Matt's wish for a burning orange blob over the davis straight happens by mid month..haha 

just a wag, but I wonder if it's related to the tropical forcing Bob

over the last few days, this map has changed quite a bit and now has decent forcing in a very ideal location for us

http://mikeventrice.weebly.com/hovmollers.html

Verbatim 850s are a bit warm.

I just want to see the EPS hold serve on a hemispheric reshuffle. It's nice to have more confidence in a more decent pattern, However transient, at the start of the new year.

Well yes... but there looks to be a SLP in AL as the H in the Midwest moves in at 240

Not much change to Euro ens. Think it's still highlighting that ~Jan 5-10 window tho it only runs to the 5th. Signs of PNA ridge shifting east.. seems to help the AO go negative or neutral at least for a time. Nino is going to feed that GOA low IMO so I just don't see how we can expect heights to stay high in that general region unless there's a major PV breakdown or something. That doesn't seem to be the case here. And although PNA helped last two winters not sure that's what we want long-term anyway.

Not much change to Euro ens. Think it's still highlighting that ~Jan 5-10 window tho it only runs to the 5th. Signs of PNA ridge shifting east.. seems to help the AO go negative or neutral at least for a time. Nino is going to feed that GOA low IMO so I just don't see how we can expect heights to stay high in that general region unless there's a major PV breakdown or something. That doesn't seem to be the case here. And although PNA helped last two winters not sure that's what we want long-term anyway.

Yeah.  If anything the Euro ENS strengthened the signal of the colder air starting around January 2nd.  It really hasn't budged the past 5 runs or so in terms of timing.  Either way, it's an upper level look we haven't seen in at least 2 months.  

Yeah.  If anything the Euro ENS strengthened the signal of the colder air starting around January 2nd.  It really hasn't budged the past 5 runs or so in terms of timing.  Either way, it's an upper level look we haven't seen in at least 2 months.  

Anomalies are a bit higher it seems out west so perhaps that helps. I guess it's possible we're in play by the start of Jan.

Archived