SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Med/Long Range Discussion

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best ens run yet. Seems too quick but ens guidance isn't budgin so I'm huggin.

Could be too quick tho I think general ideas have supported this progression via weeklies in particular, maybe 2 week active period with storms generally progressing east over time. More active STJ initially working with stronger +AO/NAO first few sys generally want to be inland stuff as other items slowly realign and axes shift shift east with time. Given strong Nino climo I just have a hard time thinking that configuration will last. Can see hints it won't per the ENS rollover analogs.

The thoughts mitchnick laid out last night aren't too hard to imagine as a potential outcome for winter.

Could be too quick tho I think general ideas have supported this progression via weeklies in particular, maybe 2 week active period with storms generally progressing east over time. More active STJ initially working with stronger +AO/NAO first few sys generally want to be inland stuff as other items slowly realign and axes shift shift east with time. Given strong Nino climo I just have a hard time thinking that configuration will last. Can see hints it won't per the ENS rollover analogs.

The thoughts mitchnick laid out last night aren't too hard to imagine as a potential outcome for winter.

Agreed. -EPO isn't going to have staying power because of how strong the Nino is.

GFS ens members would suggest the period starting in about a week would be interesting.

I am noticing more of a press of colder air/it getting closer to us as storm pass.  I think we might be starting to see light at the end of the tunnel.  Now watch in an hour the GFS is gonna make a fool out of me.

I am noticing more of a press of colder air/it getting closer to us as storm pass. I think we might be starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. Now watch in an hour the GFS is gonna make a fool out of me.

We've been in the "toss it if it's good" mode for a bit. Now it's time for "toss it if its bad".

96 or bust.

Overnight guidance remains on track. Right now it looks like our chance for wintry remains pretty far out there but pretty unanimous across the board for things getting decent around Jan 3rd or so.

Epo/pna flip staying locked around the 31st/1st time frame. But we still need to shake the ridge so it looks like it will be a few days after that for us to at least feel wintry.

Looks pretty amplified and active through the end of the ens runs. Seeing so many runs hold the flip out west and not moving it forward in time is encouraging. The EC troughing d13-15 looks solid too.

Gefs definitely more agressive with higher heights around gl/np than the eps but but ens are very similar late in their runs with the large scale lw pattern. That raises the confidence bar that the Dec warm and impossible to snow pattern will be gone for at least a little while.

Overnight guidance remains on track. Right now it looks like our chance for wintry remains pretty far out there but pretty unanimous across the board for things getting decent around Jan 3rd or so.

Epo/pna flip staying locked around the 31st/1st time frame. But we still need to shake the ridge so it looks like it will be a few days after that for us to at least feel wintry.

Looks pretty amplified and active through the end of the ens runs. Seeing so many runs hold the flip out west and not moving it forward in time is encouraging. The EC troughing d13-15 looks solid too.

Gefs definitely more agressive with higher heights around gl/np than the eps but but ens are very similar late in their runs with the large scale lw pattern. That raises the confidence bar that the Dec warm and impossible to snow pattern will be gone for at least a little while.

Pretty decent looking. Hopefully it doesn't get delayed, and has some staying power.

post-1005-0-77486500-1450706650_thumb.pn

Pretty decent looking. Hopefully it doesn't get delayed, and has some staying power.

It's really hard to say. This flip kinda just jumped on us. Definitely quicker than anyone expected. The +pna is pretty normal for Nino's so that isn't that surprising. The -epo is so I would think that would be more of a transient feature but wearing weenie glasses you can envision the -epo/+pna giving us at least a chance or 2 at something and buy some time to let the ao/nao continue to improve. Tonight's weeklies could give some insight. The 0z euro ens looked pretty good so rolling that forward another 2 weeks could look nice.

The current pattern advertised d10-15 is similar to the end of week 3 from the last weeklies but some notable differences with a more favorable trough axis and not hanging heights back to the west nearly as much. 

I think the 0z and 6z gefs members showed some promise. You can see here as the pna goes + we are still unanimously fighting the ridge:

f240.gif

But a few days later the look is half decent on most members. Definitely amplified. Could be a big storm for someone anywhere with the NE obviously the favored spot:

f360.gif

Archived