• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Discussion

North Balti Zen

I've said this for years...when the board is full of SSWE chatter it means we are in trouble. 

Or we are just in a historically bad(warm) pattern, and folks are looking for anything that resembles some hope that it will get good, and soon. Problem is that wont happen. So its a waiting game. It certainly looks like improvement is on the way over the next week to 10 days, but likely still a ways to go beyond that, assuming it doesn't just revert back.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said this for years...when the board is full of SSWE chatter it means we are in trouble. 

Not saying we are in trouble yet,but it appears that the very strong + PNA spike will be  brief , and possibly followed by a another return of record warmth, this time January style.   

It's all about windows and taking advantage of them...not really different than any other winter around here.

I'm a Mac guy myself.  No more Ctl+Alt+Delete for me. No sir.

On a weather note, in all seriousness, the first week in January is looking more interesting.  It's a sneak attack.

In my area, around Delaware, just below the canal, I have never had an above normal snowfall season without an above normal snowfall in the preceding December.

That happened in 02 and 09, very different now.

Depends on your definition of above normal. Both Wilmington and Dover have had totals above the seasonal norm with minimal Dec snow.

Euro has actually trended quite a bit towards the GFS in the medium/long range.  It's even sticking a sneaky SWFE event in the SNE that the GFS had days ago. Interestingly enough, the AO does trend negative on the GEFS in the 10-15 day range, which would coincide well with a potential event.  While it's too early to declare anything with any certainty, it appears that the 1998 blowtorch PAC disaster is less likely for January if we are to believe various climate and ensemble models.  

This is really the wildcard to me.  I wonder what type of implications this will have in February? I don't think we've ever seen a nino "hang on" like this before.

nino34.png

Euro has actually trended quite a bit towards the GFS in the medium/long range.  It's even sticking a sneaky SWFE event in the SNE that the GFS had days ago. Interestingly enough, the AO does trend negative on the GEFS in the 10-15 day range, which would coincide well with a potential event.  While it's too early to declare anything with any certainty, it appears that the 1998 blowtorch PAC disaster is less likely for January if we are to believe various climate and ensemble models.  

This is really the wildcard to me.  I wonder what type of implications this will have in February? I don't think we've ever seen a nino "hang on" like this before.

If it continues on this strenth, probably will torch again after this little hiccup.  Taking a loot at the 850mb zonal wind 4casts show another strong WWB over ENSO 3.4 & enso 3. This Nino won't be declining fast.

post-1389-0-14666900-1450900791_thumb.gi

Euro h5 look is pretty decent at the end of the run. Nice split flow, plenty of cold across the conus, 50/50 low about to be in place,  and energy digging into the SW. I can definitely extrapolate a snowstorm d12-13. lol

ecmwf_z500a_nhem_11.png

same as my thoughts Bob, and there looks to be, at least, stale cold around  on day 10

ensembles may be interesting

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=ecmwf&region=us&pkg=T850&runtime=2015122312&fh=240&xpos=0&ypos=217

One thing the globals seem to agree on is a pretty steep pna ridge popping and tightly spaced shortwaves embedded in the flow. This is going to cause model mayhem at ranges outside of 5 days. Since we're still 8+/- days away from that pattern even being in place it's pretty silly to dissect any op run.

With that being said I do like seeing multiple vorts and closed ull's showing up on the ops. Nothing worse than getting a good +pna going that only keeps us cool and dry with sheared vorts and no moisture. I doubt that will be the case during the first week of Jan.

With the rather sharp ridge/trough configuration that we keep seeing, shortwaves "should" have a good chance at amplifying or even closing off. We just need to hope that one sets it's sights on us. Anywhere from the SE to NNE is probably in the game from what I'm seeing right now. Just gotta keep waiting it out for another week until the medium range has more clarity.

Archived