EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January Med/Long Range Discussion

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty good damming sig at 111.  Wasn't really looking closely at previous runs..so not sure if it's better or worse

surprised to see this map on the ncep site at 96 hrs fwiw

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=096ℑ=data%2Fgfs%2F12%2Fgfs_namer_096_dom_precip_type.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&param=dom_precip_type&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20151224+12+UTC&imageSize=M&ps=model

Actually Mitch, that looks pretty accurate.  I'm on Amwx Model page and the 850 line is just north of the M/D line at that hour

This little sneak attack might need to be watched.  I mean, I still don't have much faith, especially with the Euro not so hot on it...but it's something I guess. 

and the trend really has been our friend the past 36 hrs.

I recall Ian mentioning a few weeks ago how the Highs to our north have been stronger than proged a few days out and that seems to be happening here too so far

and the trend really has been our friend the past 36 hrs.

I recall Ian mentioning a few weeks ago how the Highs to our north have been stronger than proged a few days out and that seems to be happening here too so far

LOL...this would put alot of people above climo for Dec...different winter, same results, keep it coming...

If that high slides out just a little bit slower it would be big  :snowing:

Well, it would be fitting to end a record smashing heatwave December with an inch of slush.

Euro ens not feeling it. Maybe 4-5 members see it the same way as the gefs. Not saying that can't change but it all seems quite low on the probability scale all things considered.

Isn't this a CAD situation? And doesn't the Euro usually have a hard time with this setup? I know of a few vivid remembrances of where it failed miserably in a situation like this.....The Chill Storm being evidence exhibit A.

Isn't this a CAD situation? And doesn't the Euro usually have a hard time with this setup? I know of a few vivid remembrances of where it failed miserably in a situation like this.....The Chill Storm being evidence exhibit A.

It's definitely a CAD event. GFS is a perfect solution with timing, strength of CAD, low progression, etc. 

My skepticism comes from where we are coming from. We haven't had a single cold front over perform this year. The ridge to the se has ended up being harder to move every single time a front has been modeled in the medium range for weeks now. I don't see this setup as being any different. 

It's definitely a CAD event. GFS is a perfect solution with timing, strength of CAD, low progression, etc. 

My skepticism comes from where we are coming from. We haven't had a single cold front over perform this year. The ridge to the se has ended up being harder to move every single time a front has been modeled in the medium range for weeks now. I don't see this setup as being any different. 

That's my issue.  It's hard not to be skeptical in this pattern and with a sudden shift like this.

Well, it would be fitting to end a record smashing heatwave December with an inch of slush.

Euro ens not feeling it. Maybe 4-5 members see it the same way as the gefs. Not saying that can't change but it all seems quite low on the probability scale all things considered. 

I pretty much agree, it could happen but the timing of the precip and how cold the air mass is makes a world of difference.  There is not a lot of cold air around but the high does get in a good place on the GFS so you can't completely rule it out. I would like to see more than 5 Euro members on the GFS bandwagon..   That said, I hope the GFS is right. 

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45262-january-banter-thread/page-16?hl=%2Beuro#entry3235861

Archived