joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2015 Obs and Disco Thread

H2O

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a bit of a hint at some potential for southern Caribbean storm formation. Not common for Nino usually but a climo favored zone for Oct. Pretty hard to get those to hit us as a hurricane. :P Transitioning into a nor'easter or some such perhaps. Euro ens seems to have some hint of something late but not very strong so perhaps a few members are seeing it. For some reason the postage stamps on wxbell are only out to day 10.

Quite a bit of a hint at some potential for southern Caribbean storm formation. Not common for Nino usually but a climo favored zone for Oct. Pretty hard to get those to hit us as a hurricane. :P Transitioning into a nor'easter or some such perhaps. Euro ens seems to have some hint of something late but not very strong so perhaps a few members are seeing it. For some reason the postage stamps on wxbell are only out to day 10.

Yep, I know you saw it on the GFS. If it's still there in 10 days I'll suggest to NCEP that they do an unscheduled maintenance check and just shut the GFS down until it passes. Nobody will miss it.

Hopefully if it's not a hurricane, it's a blizzard. Crappy time a year for both though.

Hopefully if it's not a hurricane, it's a blizzard. Crappy time a year for both though.

I could go for a Wilma repeat........

SPC Day 4 talks about a marginal svr threat in the mid-Atlantic Friday, and the 12z guidance reaffirms the idea.   Moderately strong cold front moves through during the favorable time of day with maybe 1000 cape and modest shear.   Possible coupling of upper level jet streaks.   Ultimately, the lack of better instability will likely eliminate a major svr threat, but at least the potential of a gusty line of storms seems to be on the table (barring a change in the frontal timing).

And hey, if I can get an EFO go almost through my backyard last Tuesday evening with even less instability, imagine what I can do with 1000 cape.    :)

SPC Day 4 talks about a marginal svr threat in the mid-Atlantic Friday, and the 12z guidance reaffirms the idea.   Moderately strong cold front moves through during the favorable time of day with maybe 1000 cape and modest shear.   Possible coupling of upper level jet streaks.   Ultimately, the lack of better instability will likely eliminate a major svr threat, but at least the potential of a gusty line of storms seems to be on the table (barring a change in the frontal timing).

And hey, if I can get an EFO go almost through my backyard last Tuesday evening with even less instability, imagine what I can do with 1000 cape.    :)

Yup. We aren't done with the rumbles of thunder yet if models are correct this far out. Here's what WSI's RPM has for Friday morning around 11 AM. CAPE and incoming cold front. Could be exciting for some around here. 

post-1807-0-24189000-1444160482_thumb.pn

post-1807-0-69392100-1444160481_thumb.pn

Wasn't there a severe day in the middle of winter in 2014? I remember waking up to a TOR watch lol.

I remember a big severe day in late January 2013. It was in the 70s and I believe we were in a tornado watch. I was thinking to myself, "Is it January or May?"

Not so sure about the mid-month 'cold'.. well, do think there is probably a window for a cold morning or two but otherwise eh. Everything but a random op run or two looks warm forever for now. I do tend to think we mostly torch thru Dec.

Not so sure about the mid-month 'cold'.. well, do think there is probably a window for a cold morning or two but otherwise eh. Everything but a random op run or two looks warm forever for now. I do tend to think we mostly torch thru Dec.

I saw HM's tweet today that the Euro weeklies don't look cold. I'm pretty numb about this fall and will be pleasantly shocked if we don't torch through Novie. Even 11/09 was warm and then things changed quickly after Thanksgiving, so it's too early to write off December...but hope is "thin" in light of the seasonal guidance.

I wouldn't write off a couple shots cold enough to frost the western burbs in the next 2 weeks. Ops may not have it look easy right now but the lw pattern looks pretty decent. Northern and Central Canada should have no problem generating some cold air. Just gotta get a clean push or 2 down here.

I saw HM's tweet today that the Euro weeklies don't look cold. I'm pretty numb about this fall and will be pleasantly shocked if we don't torch through Novie. Even 11/09 was warm and then things changed quickly after Thanksgiving, so it's too early to write off December...but hope is "thin" in light of the seasonal guidance.

Not like it really matters that much anyway. If the last two years taught us anything it's that we can punt anything before Christmas without much worry. Little doubt winter will try to linger this year.. hopefully Dec isn't warm and rainy. :P

Archived