amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
October 2015 Obs and Disco Thread

H2O

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the trend in more recent HRRR runs has been to make the approach of the line about an hour or so earlier;   radar does indeed show it starting to get its act together up in PA.

the model also suggests that a few lead cells/clusters are possible across northern VA as early as 3 or 4PM, although confidence in that is certainly lower

So going off that map in the post above is that the 7:00pm time frame? Trying to gauge my daughter getting a ride in between 4:30-5 down in Leesburg. 

the trend in more recent HRRR runs has been to make the approach of the line about an hour or so earlier;   radar does indeed show it starting to get its act together up in PA.

the model also suggests that a few lead cells/clusters are possible across northern VA as early as 3 or 4PM, although confidence in that is certainly lower

Thanks! We are going to chance it. Worst case scenario we get there get tacked up and get her ride cut short. :)

I remember the 11/20/89 event well. I had just returned to my home in central NJ for Thanksgiving break, and I saw that a severe t'storm watch had been issued for my area. If one looked at the radar, the immediate reaction would have been puzzlement, as it looked like a weak line of showers approaching. The SPC recap page notes that the cloud tops were under 20,000 ft. But when it arrived, wow. The showers were light, and I maybe saw one flash of distant lightning, but the winds were amazing.

30 hours later, a wave moved up the front that caused this derecho event, and that wave gave us a 6" snowfall early Thanksgiving morning.

As that article notes, there was an even worse severe event a few days earlier featuring the deadly Huntsville tornado. There were multiple tornadoes in the morning in NJ/NY (and one on the MD eastern shore and another near Harpers Ferry) with embedded supercells in a squall line. One did serious damage near my family's home in the Trenton area. A microburst associated with this event also caused the horrific school wall collapse near Newburgh, NY.

Did not realize we were fellow trentonians

first t-storm warning up in south-central PA.    SPC talked about a possible upgrade to slight risk up in the NYC area and into southern New England, but while their shear is slighly better than ours, we have much better instability.       1500 sfc-based cape and roughly 40 kt of deep layer shear will warrant a mesoscale discussion for us, at the least.

me neither. Were you in that area in November 89? My mom had a fair amount of damage in her yard in Lawrenceville from the morning severe event.

I was in the area, though I was only 8, so my memory isn't as clear as I'd like. I do remember being held late at school in Ewing due to damage blocking roads, and then seeing plenty of broken tree branches on the ride home. One tree in particular I still remember being topped; it still looks odd (a pine that got topped)

I remember the 11/20/89 event well.   I had just returned to my home in central NJ for Thanksgiving break, and I saw that a severe t'storm watch had been issued for my area.   If one looked at the radar, the immediate reaction would have been puzzlement, as it looked like a weak line of showers approaching.    The SPC recap page notes that the cloud tops were under 20,000 ft.   But when it arrived, wow.    The showers were light, and I maybe saw one flash of distant lightning, but the winds were amazing.

30 hours later, a wave moved up the front that caused this derecho event, and that wave gave us a 6" snowfall early Thanksgiving morning. 

As that article notes, there was an even worse severe event a few days earlier featuring the deadly Huntsville tornado.   There were multiple tornadoes in the morning in NJ/NY (and one on the MD eastern shore and another near Harpers Ferry) with embedded supercells in a squall line.    One did serious damage near my family's home in the Trenton area.    A microburst associated with this event also caused the horrific school wall collapse near Newburgh, NY.

My niece survived that school wall collapse, at East Coldenham Elementary just outside Newburgh, NY in October 1989, where she was a 1st grader at the time, and sitting in the cafeteria where the wall collapsed at the time the microburst (some say tornado) struck. She's in her early 30s now, and still cowers at the hint of oncoming severe weather...as, I'm sure, most kids that were in that school cafeteria still do. The cinder block wall that was blown inward was about 15-20 feet tall, with glass inserts surrounding it. and the kids that were sitting at the tables along that wall pretty much didn't have a chance, or were gravely injured...some partially decapitated, some with limbs torn completely off, some dying from the asphyxiation of being buried in a couple feet of cement and glass. There really wasn't much warning with that system. Weather can be capriciously hideous at time...we all know this...but when it kills kids in the K-3rd grade range, well....that's really hard to take.

Archived