joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2015 Obs and Disco Thread

H2O

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice gusts and rain on the dog walk. While I wouldn't want days and days of this stuff, I really enjoy the appeal. Fall would suck without a couple days like today.

Ian, agree about the coastals. Mid month pattern looks pretty good for a possible storm. Ridge placement out west isn't perfect but the overall height pattern in the NH looks decent.

Gusting to 52 mph at Ocean City at the 7:53 pm observation. Just a bit more increase, and the observations would match the max gusts from Sandy (58 mph) and Isabel (53 mph). 

This is really impressive considering there is no surface low anywhere near us. Not to change the subject and bring in the weirdos but watching something like this makes me thing of climate change's involvement more than a lot of other events. This is going to end up a very high impact event considering it's a "miss".. and yes the flooding is heavily separate but Joaquin is delivering a lot of the moisture.

And I'm sure it's happened before.. we saw something somewhat similar with the interaction of Katia and Lee of course. But the pics up and down the coast are something. I mean it's not even hard to envision popular spots facing issues if the erosion continues at a strong pace for too long.

The whole ocean is just on fire this year. There's no doubt this nino is still producing the names because of that.

qhWQR3v.png

Well thought out post Ian. A gift for your efforts, I agree with your line of thinking. The el nino signal is strong and working alongside a growing AGW background forcing, which has been causing nutty high pressure regions to our NE and the resulting gales.

The gradient kills more than anything else despite the system being thousands of miles away. These are not public domain so use sparingly.

;)

post-8708-0-11860000-1443835787_thumb.jp

post-8708-0-15173700-1443835796_thumb.jp

Well thought out post Ian. A gift for your efforts, I agree with your line of thinking. The el nino signal is strong and working alongside a growing AGW background forcing, which has been causing nutty high pressure regions to our NE and the resulting gales.

The gradient kills more than anything else despite the system being thousands of miles away. These are not public domain so use sparingly.

;)

20151002_113246.jpg

20151002_125605.jpg

Don't often see a 1042+ High north of the Lakes this time of the year. I hope that bodes well for the winter.

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_con.php?image=pr&inv=0&t=cur&expanddiv=hide_bar

Currently 46 with light rain.

1.00" so far....I think I saw a sleet pellet. Pretty raw out. OC getting cross hair's of the pressure gradient atm according to latest meso.

Friend from Salisbury called and wanted to know when the worst part of the storm would hit. Lol Apparently, the local stations are hyping it pretty good.

He said wind gusts are blowing everything in his yard all over the place.

Drive from Burke to Hilton Head was pretty horrible. 51 with wind and rain when we left, and it didn't steadily get above 62 until well into SC. Rained nearly the whole way until it cleared up about 2/3 of the way into SC, too. 68 with drizzle when we arrived.

We're progged to be on the south end of the heaviest rains tomorrow. Curious to see what happens.

How much rain did the airports end up with today?

I don't know exactly how they'd do it, but it would be nice to see how that gradient stacks up to previous ones along the east coast.

Probably could get a general idea through NARR and other tools.

Not EC but RITA was 895mb and there is a 1020mb high analyzed over the MA at the same time. That's gotta be pretty close to the extreme overall in this region. http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2005/us0922.php

Earl 2010 is the closest strongest storm we've seen recorded.. was 927mb at 6z... NARR has a 1016 over the Apps looks like peak http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2010/us0902.php

I'd wager it's well up there esp on the EC angle and it was actually probably a little higher at peak.  Plus the gradient is tight at distance here.. in those other events there wasn't really a strong high pressure (actually I think the 'low' we tracked last week was a 1016 on models) as much as super deep lows.

Archived