joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking hurricane Joaquin OTS

dailylurker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you already own this property all the way back in 1992? I've been fascinated by the January 1992 coastal storm that smashed the city (and the rest of the Delmarva). I would guess that within this generation, that storm was the scariest to experience in Ocean City itself. 

OC got pummeled over and over again during the super nino 98 too.

Not sure although Justin Berk tweeted that 113 kt winds were measured:

https://twitter.com/JustinWeather/status/649397077601067008

So the streak is over? 113 is Cat 3 right?

Did you already own this property all the way back in 1992? I've been fascinated by the January 1992 coastal storm that smashed the city (and the rest of the Delmarva). I would guess that within this generation, that storm was the scariest to experience in Ocean City itself. 

No I bought in 2004. I have never been there during any of the major storms. I am in the mountains trying to enjoy the snow :)

In fact the Navy has set Sortie Condition Charlie indicating all ships must be prepared to get underway within 48 hours

http://wavy.com/2015/09/30/navy-sets-sortie-condition-charlie-due-to-hurricane-joaquin/

I really hope 'Sortie Condition Charlie" is a term that sticks around this forum come talk of MECS, HECS and BECS this winter. It's perfect.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

A hit at the NC/VA border is still gonna be a hit on OBX. OBX is so far east that if VA is gonna get hit then they are too. I dont really get what your trying to say here? Just let the damn thing go out sea please.

But wouldn't a track east of OBX be much better for them than a path just to the west?

The assets in Tidewater are much more valuable and critical than OBX, and even NO. VA Beach already has persistent flooding due to SLR and makeup of the soil/effects from a past bolide impact.

Hate to see OBX get impacted as it's a great area, but Tidewater is crucial to the state, region, and a big factor in national defense.

Hampton Roads has the largest complex of military bases on Earth, the largest naval base on Earth, the only shipyard on Earth that can build nuclear-powered aircraft carriers, and one of two shipyards in the US that can build submarines.

One square acre of Newport News Shipbuilding is more important than the entire OBX (and I like the OBX, but have only been there 2-3 times).  

Hampton Roads has the largest complex of military bases on Earth, the largest naval base on Earth, the only shipyard on Earth that can build nuclear-powered aircraft carriers, and one of two shipyards in the US that can build submarines.

One square acre of Newport News Shipbuilding is more important than the entire OBX (and I like the OBX, but have only been there 2-3 times).

Just to play Devils advocate, we built all of those things in the Tidewater. We can rebuild them if needed. Those barrier islands aren't replaceable

Archived