• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

Ponds and even bays still frozen around here despite the milder weather we had. Unheard of.

Harbor finally unfroze 2 days ago over by South Station at Summer St bridge...it had been frozen since the Feb 2nd snow event.

Charles River is still locked solid though.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We whiffed on a threat on Mar 29, 1996 that was hyped as a solid 4-8 incher about 2 days out. When it missed, I remembered thinking that was it...but then the back to back April events came with only about 3 days warning.

The '97 blizzard was similar. Except the threat we whiffed on was even more hyped...supposed to be a potent one, but it got ground up by PV to the north. we had a winter storm watch out for it and got nothing. I think it was for Mar 19-20, 1997...I figured snow threats were done when we missed on that one. But little did we know, lol.

How in the world.....you can't be human...you just can't.

Sometimes I wonder whether Megan sneaks you out to the beast shed and changes your oil and gives you tune ups. lol

Meh... HRRR, RAP, RPM had nothing. 

I don't think it was an obvious setup at all. 

OKX didn't even mention it in their 3 a.m. AFD/ZFP. They didn't even send out an SPS!

Looked pretty solid to me I posted about it here, yesterday afternoon.

#2482 icon_share.png  
post_online.png Ginxy
Posted Yesterday, 11:53 AM
  •  
  •  

•  
    •  
  •  
  •  

Also signs of a long stem streamer that likes to concentrate eventually on SWCT WMA NWCT, something to watch, that would be overnight into tomorrow morning

•  

Just came through Belmont and Arlington, Man the snow pack has taken a beating here.

Does not look much different than Greenfield now.

yes, it is dwindling rapidly here. parking lot piles even shrinking. there is a massive one in the fresh pond mall. it is disgustingly dirty, and it is shrinking, but it is still pretty big

I was just reading how erstwhile climate models predicted that sea level rise due to global warming should range between 1 to 3 feet by the turn of 2100. That doesn't 'sound' staggering at first ear, no.  But ... it would still mean tens of millions of displaced people world over. 

Now consider that the Totten Glacier over the eastern flank of the Antarctic icecap holds enough mass to raise sea-levels an additional 11 feet.  Why that is important is because TAMU scientists have discovered a recently, unknown warm seawater (relatively speaking) channels penetrate into Totten's basal regions.  The plausible additional mass of the Totten Glacier was was not included in the original climate, model-based assessments for the impacts on global sea-level rise.  

Think about all the marina districts of our coastal hubs just here in North America, or to mention the low-lands of the world, et al, that are mere feet above sea-level; now's a good time to remind, half the population of the world resides and/or relies upon the sea for providing means to survive. Think of the Back Bay area of the city of Boston. Think of Miami, New Orleans for that matter.  Venice? Gone. All that history reclaim blithely by the sea.  And these are but a minuter fraction of the total populations inundated, ultimately denuded from their lands. 

If the force of change is slow enough ... humans are very adaptable; it's really one of our greatest evolutionary feats, in that when things have stopped going right, we've always tended to mold quickly enough to move along with, and not against the current of change. With adaptation thus made less stressful, the lineage is allowed not to terminate.  It's part in parcel why there are over 7 billion of us on this planet;  we spread out, we adapt, we thrive.

But one is forced to wonder just how much of a test in adaptation is in store for humanity, when the very footprint of humanity threatens to turn it's ankles.  Even if global warming is some giant, unstoppable destiny of Earth, and humans were proven less culpable (which is all but completely been removed from doubt), just about everything we see around us that makes modern, out-of-loin-cloth-and-spear-tip-living, possible, took place over the last 5,000 ..or even 10, 000 years of relative climate quiescence.  Timing has been everything; particularly in the last 200 years that has been the case.  

From Carrington to the Canaries, Japan to Totten Glacial release, one must wonder if our lease on flat line challenges could one day be up before we least expect it.   

Archived