• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

For me, the 5th would be the highest and lowest temperatures between 7am on the 4th and 7am on the 5th.  The date just reflects when I wrote it down.

I was just looking at a graph on WU and I'm wondering if I have a translation issue.  Back then I used to keep paper records and it wasn't until 2002 that I started entering them into Excel.  It looks like on the 6th that temperatures were in the 40s and I'm wondering if when was entering the data in Excel that the numbers/dates were transposed.  I'll have to look at the paper record and see what I have there. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well then your high temps looks like it was the afternoon high on the 4th.

What is your high for April 6? That would seem to line up with the date I'm referring to since your 4/6 numebrs would reflect the afternoon high on 5th.

I'm looking at the paper record now and I wrote down 42 on the 6th.  I'm wondering if I took the reading later in the morning?  East Brimfield is about 10 miles north of me at a similar elevation and they recorded a high of 29 that day and given ORH's 26°, that seems reasonable to me.

That was a brutal day even at lower elevations. I remember running track that day and it was God awful. There was also quite a bit of clouds with those virga sheets of snow coming out of the clouds too. IIRC, the day before had a strong line of tstms move through with damaging winds.

That was a brutal day even at lower elevations. I remember running track that day and it was God awful. There was also quite a bit of clouds with those virga sheets of snow coming out of the clouds too. IIRC, the day before had a strong line of tstms move through with damaging winds.

BOS had a high of 31F that day. :lol:

Ski Sundown in Ct is still 100% open while Mt Snow and Stratton in S VT are at 80-85%. How often does that happen in late March?

Well, I haven't looked, but I'd wager a guess that Sundown has 100% snowmaking, 100% grooming, and no natural trails.

Anything that isn't tilled up by the groomers on a daily basis is pure glacier unless it softens up by mid day, and then the ropes can be dropped. Or, they just leave the natural ungroomed stuff open and it's a ski at your own risk type of thing. Some people like that. .. I've seen Pete take some lines in pure glacier/woods/bumps that make my head spin.

This is on one pace for the worst ending to a season that I have ever seen.

Just absolutely, positively the most brutal stretch possible.

I'd have rathered 2012 to make a cameo.

Please no!  I'm a month+ behind on the maple season and have nothing to show for it.  Besides, 2011 was worse here.  We had that epic stretch and then things just faded after that with trival amounts.  It was so anti-climatic but I didn't care because had such an epic stretch.

Please no!  I'm a month+ behind on the maple season and have nothing to show for it.  Besides, 2011 was worse here.  We had that epic stretch and then things just faded after that with trival amounts.  It was so anti-climatic but I didn't care because had such an epic stretch.

Not here.

I got one 6"+ event towards the end of February after that great period.....since Feb 15th, I've had one 3"er and a chorus of T-2" shots of irrelevance...only freshens things up for about an hour before the sun strikes it dead.

Only QPF of consequence intermingled with the obnoxious cold has been rain.

At least 2011 didn't have a bunch of near misses haulting progress towards a record...and it wasn't as cold, either.

If you look at most of the winters with crazy mid-winter stretches, very few of them went out with a bang. 1995-1996 is the exception...but of course the epic stretch in the middle was soured by that massive thaw with a train of warm cutters.

But years like 2010-2011, 1977-1978, 1960-1961, 1968-1969 all were pretty meh after some sick stretches. A couple of those years had an event in very early March but then pretty much just nuisance stuff.

2011 dropped warning snows IMBY on April 1st, but most of the region got 2" of slop.

Not here.

I got one 6"+ event towards the end of February after that great period.....since Feb 15th, I've had one 3"er and a chorus of T-2" shots of irrelevance...only freshens things up for about an hour before the sun strikes it dead.

Only QPF of consequence intermingled with the obnoxious cold has been rain.

At least 2011 didn't have a bunch of near misses haulting progress towards a record...and it wasn't as cold, either.

I had that 6" event too but it really didn't mater.  It snowed on 20 different days between 2/4 and the end of March that year and I only had about 14" of snow so they were all pretty small events.

I'm a cold weather guy and I rely on the cold this time of year so I guess I'm biased but I'd rather have it be cold and take the chances and have winter fade away than abruptly end.

If you look at most of the winters with crazy mid-winter stretches, very few of them went out with a bang. 1995-1996 is the exception...but of course the epic stretch in the middle was soured by that massive thaw with a train of warm cutters.

But years like 2010-2011, 1977-1978, 1960-1961, 1968-1969 all were pretty meh after some sick stretches. A couple of those years had an event in very early March but then pretty much just nuisance stuff.

2011 dropped warning snows IMBY on April 1st, but most of the region got 2" of slop.

Yea, it all evens out....which is why I kind of rolled my eyes when some where trying to rally the troops on a so-so pattern that "could still produce" post 2/15....could just feel it.

I get it, though...all you can do is access the pattern. Not a knock on anyone.

I'm still hopeful for one more show, but my confidence is shaken with each successive failure.

I had that 6" event too but it really didn't mater.  It snowed on 20 different days between 2/4 and the end of March that year and I only had about 14" of snow so they were all pretty small events.

I'm a cold weather guy and I rely on the cold this time of year so I guess I'm biased but I'd rather have it be cold and take the chances and have winter fade away than abruptly end.

I understand you have personal interests at stake, but I'm not a fan of cold and wind without snow in March.

Hey Ray, it wasn't until after St Patty's Day where it looked better. This event would be a few days later. We also know not every one of these systems from now until climo gives up, will work out. Not to get all positive pansie Ginxy...but there are still shots to be fired into early April. I know climo gets harder..but the cold up north is not going anywhere which is a good thing. The pattern actually starts to develop a +PNA next week into the end of the month.

Hey Ray, it wasn't until after St Patty's Day where it looked better. This event would be a few days later. We also know not every one of these systems from now until climo gives up, will work out. Not to get all positive pansie Ginxy...but there are still shots to be fired into early April. I know climo gets harder..but the cold up north is not going anywhere which is a good thing. The pattern actually starts to develop a +PNA next week into the end of the month.

Yea, I know.

Agreed on all accounts....just speaking of pent up frustration leading up to this.

Yea, I know.

Agreed on all accounts....just speaking of pent up frustration leading up to this.

I understand fully. I think we all understand the inherent variability in these patterns...but it's still a pretty good look. Until I see something where I can shut it down for the season..I'll always have an eye out.

I understand fully. I think we all understand the inherent variability in these patterns...but it's still a pretty good look. Until I see something where I can shut it down for the season..I'll always have an eye out.

All you can do when dealing with pattern recognition....the IMBY Stalwarts will always end up judging based on the results on their own square plot of land, but we know that often the same pattern can deliever different results and a storm may end up crushing Maine while barely missing us (ala Mar 31-Apr 1, 2011)...that type of result is simply unforecastable at these ranges.

Or the storm may never form at all within 300 miles...but such is life in pattern talk. If we got days of 60F and no storm threats at all, then I would call it a bust, lol.

All you can do when dealing with pattern recognition....the IMBY Stalwarts will always end up judging based on the results on their own square plot of land, but we know that often the same pattern can deliever different results and a storm may end up crushing Maine while barely missing us (ala Mar 31-Apr 1, 2011)...that type of result is simply unforecastable at these ranges.

Or the storm may never form at all within 300 miles...but such is life in pattern talk. If we got days of 60F and no storm threats at all, then I would call it a bust, lol.

I fully recognize that.

I tried to make that is clear as I could.

Archived