joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday was as cold as you could possibly get for a fully mixed day and sun in late March. My high was 27.6

I was looking at my records this morning and March 19, 1993 was pretty cold.  The high temp was 25° and the low was -1°.  I don't know if it was cloudy or not but I'm guessing based on the diurnal range that it was clear.  We had 2.5" of snow the previous day so I think it was some kind of clipper.  That's my latest reading below zero.

1993 is also the closest analog I have to having this much snow on the ground in mid/late March.  We had the same amount of snow on the ground as of today but two days in the 60s toward the end of the month and wound up with only a trace on 4/1.  I'm still going with my call of 2" for this year, but we'll see how that plays out.

For the record, it was 7° here this morning.

I was looking at my records this morning and March 19, 1993 was pretty cold.  The high temp was 25° and the low was -1°.  I don't know if it was cloudy or not but I'm guessing based on the diurnal range that it was clear.  We had 2.5" of snow the previous day so I think it was some kind of clipper.  That's my latest reading below zero.

1993 is also the closest analog I have to having this much snow on the ground in mid/late March.  We had the same amount of snow on the ground as of today but two days in the 60s toward the end of the month and wound up with only a trace on 4/1.  I'm still going with my call of 2" for this year, but we'll see how that plays out.

For the record, it was 7° here this morning.

Ski Sundown in Ct is still 100% open while Mt Snow and Stratton in S VT are at 80-85%.  How often does that happen in late March?

Feb only:

Feb-2015-Global-Temp-Percentiles-Map.gif

STATION:  BANGOR ME                                          MONTH:    FEBRUARY                                          YEAR:     2015                                          LATITUDE:   44 47 N                                          LONGITUDE:  68 49 W[TEMPERATURE DATA]      [PRECIPITATION DATA]       SYMBOLS USED IN COLUMN 16AVERAGE MONTHLY:  6.1   TOTAL FOR MONTH:   2.20    1 = FOG OR MISTDPTR FM NORMAL: -14.7   DPTR FM NORMAL:   -0.32    2 = FOG REDUCING VISIBILITYHIGHEST:    33 ON 22    GRTST 24HR  0.77 ON  2- 2      TO 1/4 MILE OR LESSLOWEST:    -23 ON 14                               3 = THUNDER                        SNOW, ICE PELLETS, HAIL    4 = ICE PELLETS                        TOTAL MONTH:  42.4 INCHES  5 = HAIL                        GRTST 24HR  12.3 ON   M    6 = FREEZING RAIN OR DRIZZLE                        GRTST DEPTH:  33 ON  2, 1  7 = DUSTSTORM OR SANDSTORM:                                                       VSBY 1/2 MILE OR LESS                                                   8 = SMOKE OR HAZE[NO. OF DAYS WITH]      [WEATHER - DAYS WITH]      9 = BLOWING SNOW                                                   X = TORNADOMAX 32 OR BELOW:  27    0.01 INCH OR MORE:  13MAX 90 OR ABOVE:   0    0.10 INCH OR MORE:   7MIN 32 OR BELOW:  28    0.50 INCH OR MORE:   1MIN  0 OR BELOW:  23    1.00 INCH OR MORE:   0[HDD (BASE 65) ]TOTAL THIS MO.  1640    CLEAR  (SCALE 0-3)   6DPTR FM NORMAL   401    PTCLDY (SCALE 4-7)  15TOTAL FM JUL 1  5890    CLOUDY (SCALE 8-10)  7DPTR FM NORMAL   244[CDD (BASE 65) ]TOTAL THIS MO.     0DPTR FM NORMAL     0    [PRESSURE DATA]TOTAL FM JAN 1     0    HIGHEST SLP 30.68 ON 28DPTR FM NORMAL     0    LOWEST  SLP 29.39 ON 19[REMARKS]#FINAL-02-15#

I love how BGR can finish -14.7 for the month and it appears as 'near average' on that map.  Even aside from coarse gridding and bad interpolation I'm still calling BS on that.

Are you sure about that date? I had a high of 42° that day. My morning temp was 16° FWIW.

Positive. It is listed on the box site and threadEX site has the record low maximum. I remember the day too quite vividly. Absolutely brutal.

Do you do a 7am-7am thing there? Maybe the temp rose toward the next morning. But surprised your high wasn't at least in the 30s.

Positive. It is listed on the box site and threadEX site has the record low maximum. I remember the day too quite vividly. Absolutely brutal.

Do you do a 7am-7am thing there? Maybe the temp rose toward the next morning. But surprised your high wasn't at least in the 30s.

Or 7p-7p...ORH was mid 30s at 7pm the previous day as CAA was occuring.

STATION:  BANGOR ME                                          MONTH:    FEBRUARY                                          YEAR:     2015                                          LATITUDE:   44 47 N                                          LONGITUDE:  68 49 W[TEMPERATURE DATA]      [PRECIPITATION DATA]       SYMBOLS USED IN COLUMN 16AVERAGE MONTHLY:  6.1   TOTAL FOR MONTH:   2.20    1 = FOG OR MISTDPTR FM NORMAL: -14.7   DPTR FM NORMAL:   -0.32    2 = FOG REDUCING VISIBILITYHIGHEST:    33 ON 22    GRTST 24HR  0.77 ON  2- 2      TO 1/4 MILE OR LESSLOWEST:    -23 ON 14                               3 = THUNDER                        SNOW, ICE PELLETS, HAIL    4 = ICE PELLETS                        TOTAL MONTH:  42.4 INCHES  5 = HAIL                        GRTST 24HR  12.3 ON   M    6 = FREEZING RAIN OR DRIZZLE                        GRTST DEPTH:  33 ON  2, 1  7 = DUSTSTORM OR SANDSTORM:                                                       VSBY 1/2 MILE OR LESS                                                   8 = SMOKE OR HAZE[NO. OF DAYS WITH]      [WEATHER - DAYS WITH]      9 = BLOWING SNOW                                                   X = TORNADOMAX 32 OR BELOW:  27    0.01 INCH OR MORE:  13MAX 90 OR ABOVE:   0    0.10 INCH OR MORE:   7MIN 32 OR BELOW:  28    0.50 INCH OR MORE:   1MIN  0 OR BELOW:  23    1.00 INCH OR MORE:   0[HDD (BASE 65) ]TOTAL THIS MO.  1640    CLEAR  (SCALE 0-3)   6DPTR FM NORMAL   401    PTCLDY (SCALE 4-7)  15TOTAL FM JUL 1  5890    CLOUDY (SCALE 8-10)  7DPTR FM NORMAL   244[CDD (BASE 65) ]TOTAL THIS MO.     0DPTR FM NORMAL     0    [PRESSURE DATA]TOTAL FM JAN 1     0    HIGHEST SLP 30.68 ON 28DPTR FM NORMAL     0    LOWEST  SLP 29.39 ON 19[REMARKS]#FINAL-02-15#

I love how BGR can finish -14.7 for the month and it appears as 'near average' on that map.  Even aside from coarse gridding and bad interpolation I'm still calling BS on that.

those maps are brutal

Yeah I do 7a to 7a so perhaps that's probably what happened.  The min was the same as the previous day.  For the past 15 years I've been noting when that happens but I didn't do that back then.  I was leaving the weather business and was just in auto pilot and recording temperatures every morning (just part of my routine) lol.

Yeah I do 7a to 7a so perhaps that's probably what happened. The min was the same as the previous day. For the past 15 years I've been noting when that happens but I didn't do that back then. I was leaving the weather business and was just in auto pilot and recording temperatures every morning (just part of my routine) lol.

What do you call the 5th? 7a 4th-7a 5th or 7a 5th-7am 6th?

For me, the 5th would be the highest and lowest temperatures between 7am on the 4th and 7am on the 5th.  The date just reflects when I wrote it down.

Well then your high temps looks like it was the afternoon high on the 4th.

What is your high for April 6? That would seem to line up with the date I'm referring to since your 4/6 numebrs would reflect the afternoon high on 5th.

Archived