• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

Miller As suck a lot because a bunch of them will whiff. Yeah a perfect track miller A is really fun but you get so many ugly tracks too.

I'd take miller b in powderfreak land all day.

I have had more Miller A's bail east before they reach this lat over the years, I will take my chances with the B's and the over running events

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we were specifically discussing the 3 foot range. I'd take the under on 2 feet too.

I'm sure we will get some acceleration of SLR, but it hasn't happened yet going back to the turn of the 20th century. It's been quite linear.

A lot of those upper bounds too are predicated on the higher end warming scenarios (such as another 3C of warming by 2100) which are going to be difficult to verify.

At any rate this is more suited for the climate forum were all of these topics have been discussed.

True, and I'll also add that ... the "accelerating" aspect is after crossing a supposed threshold sort of 'point of no return'.  

I'm not will to be we've crossed that just yet.   Though the finding of the first land-based ice shelf apparently losing mass at an accelerated rate, is interesting regardless.  

I guess I'm not grasping this haha. Of my climo biggest storms were they B's? I really have no idea haha.

All the graphics I see when I google Miller A's and B's, the A graphics seem more favorable than the depictions of B's which are mainly SE of here.

Idealized graphics aren't the best way to view this probably. I feel like every miller A is plotted as March 1993 and every miller B like Feb 1978. Of course when they plot it like that the miller A looks better.

Let's see off the top of my head....March 4-7, 2001, Feb 14, 2007, dec 7-8, 1996, are miller Bs you would like. I'll have to think of some others.

Edit: dec 5-6, 2003 and jan 3-4, 2003 were two more

Idealized graphics aren't the best way to view this probably. I feel like every miller A is plotted as March 1993 and every miller B like Feb 1978. Of course when they plot it like that the miller A looks better.

Let's see off the top of my head....March 4-7, 2001, Feb 14, 2007, dec 7-8, 1996, are miller Bs you would like. I'll have to think of some others.

Ahhh ok. I don't know why my idea of Miller B is like redeveloping off the coast by BOS. But I get that all those Miller A graphics are March 93, so that's what I'm picturing haha.

Ahhh ok. I don't know why my idea of Miller B is like redeveloping off the coast by BOS. But I get that all those Miller A graphics are March 93, so that's what I'm picturing haha.

I'm sure if the Miller As were plotted as January 7, 1996 or February 11-12, 1983 or dec 19-20, 2009 you'd feel a bit different.

Well I'm assuming we keep adding to it over the next 2-3 weeks with several more events . If not then April 8 or so

It would be interesting if Logan could pad that record by more than a cheap inch - haha. 

Seriously, when that plume of quick squalls was collapsing south the other day, I was going, 'really, like this?'  

Come on.  One inch is within margin of error in my mind.  Over 10 storms and so forth, it could have been less than 107...  

You really want to take home the trophy and have it be convincing?  You need a foot to put it out of reach.

Oh yeah, that explains why you were thinking that lol. I think 12/25/02 and 1/3/03 were miller Bs too, but I'm not near a PC to check ewall to see if true.

Hi long time lurker here. I created an account cause I have a burning question for the mets here. As everyone knows California is in the midst of a drought. I'm curious, could the drought and endless hot weather out there end up directly impacting our weather in the east? I feel like ever since the drought out there started to get worse and worse over the past couple years we've been getting progressively colder and snowier each winter.

It would be interesting if Logan could pad that record by more than a cheap inch - haha.

Seriously, when that plume of quick squalls was collapsing south the other day, I was going, 'really, like this?'

Come on. One inch is within margin of error in my mind. Over 10 storms and so forth, it could have been less than 107...

You really want to take home the trophy and have it be convincing? You need a foot to put it out of reach.

Agreed. I'd like to see it be smashed by 10".

But if it isn't, I won't feel too bad about it since the BOS number in the big January blizzard was pretty low with all surroundings areas. It would "feel" worse if their seasonal total was benefiting from a large total that looked spurious...but it seems in the case of this winter, they have passed the record in spite of a low blizzard total.

Still, id like to see 115-120 there.

Oh yeah, that explains why you were thinking that lol. I think 12/25/02 and 1/3/03 were miller Bs too, but I'm not near a PC to check ewall to see if true.

Haha yeah I'm stuck on that image of 93. But I was just on the NWS page for State College I think and it had that Miller A graphic saying those are PA's biggest snowstorms, so I just keep picturing A's as like the PA-NY-Interior Northeast storms and the B's as the coastal plain storms.

We talked about this way back in the fall.. But this really is the Midwest version New England style of last year. All waterways still iced over, ice fishing ongoing.. Regionwide snowpack.. WBN temps... No little red buds yet appearing on trees.. This is going to be one of our latest springs in history.. Not even debatable at this point

But there's no mild weather in the extended lol... Plus with this snowpack? I think this will be one of the later leaf outs.

We hear that all the time and it ends up not being ridiculously late. If this pattern went right into mid April, perhaps. But you'd be surprise what warm April weather can do.

We talked about this way back in the fall.. But this really is the Midwest version New England style of last year. All waterways still iced over, ice fishing ongoing.. Regionwide snowpack.. WBN temps... No little red buds yet appearing on trees.. This is going to be one of our latest springs in history.. Not even debatable at this point

to a tee and they had a late blizzard after a thaw too.

We hear that all the time and it ends up not being ridiculously late. If this pattern went right into mid April, perhaps. But you'd be surprise what warm April weather can do.

after a brutal winter in 76 we had a true heat wave in mid Aptil.It was nice but no pool ocean relief. I was a freshman in college and took a plunge in the Atlantic and got the worst ice cream headache ever

Hi long time lurker here. I created an account cause I have a burning question for the mets here. As everyone knows California is in the midst of a drought. I'm curious, could the drought and endless hot weather out there end up directly impacting our weather in the east? I feel like ever since the drought out there started to get worse and worse over the past couple years we've been getting progressively colder and snowier each winter.

Welcome. ridge west trough east,dry and wet, yin and yang

Archived