Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having the models focus on the lead wave is killinf us WRT to having a big storm

yes they are, I have been saying this all day but I think many are thinking maybe the lead wave can give them some snow and so are ignoring this fact.  There is time for this to change.  The models do this sometimes, put too much into a lead wave then trend north with the second one that has the upper support.  Its going to come down to a phase.  I think the northern stream actually looks ok this time, the problem is does the first wave leave enough behind to phase. 

Hmm, 84 hour NAM isn't quite as bad as I had feared.  It's close enough at this range.

yeah it is and the precip ain't over at 84 hours based on this sim/rad

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fnam%2F18%2Fnam_namer_084_sim_radar.gif&model=nam&area=namer&storm=&cycle=18&param=sim_radar&fhr=084&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&ps=model&use_mins=no&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20150214+18+UTC&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

you know the routine my friend, IF we get there, it's never the easy way around here

Having the lead wave be stronger forcea the baroclinic zone east, thus once the shortwave turns the corner it doesnt have enough time to hit us...this would be a terrible way to lose this storm though people in the SE would like it

we just have to hope the models are putting too much into the lead wave right now, if that ends up weaker then the wed system will trend north in future runs.  they have done this before and sometimes its an error.  Its not over yet. 

We are talking 10s of miles making difference vice 100s. So reason to be optimistic...it looked better than I thought

Yeah, the NAM isn't as bad as I thought. Plenty of time left. Feel like by 2pm tomorrow (after the euro) we will have a better handle on what is or is not going to happen. Hopefully the 18z gfs starts us off with some good trends tonight. The 18z has acted as a preview for what happens at 0z whether it be good or bad so this next run could be very telling.

I would like a legit storm. I think PSU is getting too much ****. But, sure, we could still get a few ****in' pity inches I suppose while Raleigh gets buried. Yay. 

If they get 10 and I get 4, so be it. They are probably way overdue anyway. At this point my biggest event is 2.5. 4 or 5 would be awesome.

I appreciate the analysis because it helps me understand how all of this might play out.

we just have to hope the models are putting too much into the lead wave right now, if that ends up weaker then the wed system will trend north in future runs.  they have done this before and sometimes its an error.  Its not over yet. 

I think the UKMET / Euro solution is probably more likely at this point, but that's better than a complete whiff.  If the lead wave were more amped, I wonder if we could squeeze a few more inches out of it without changing over.

Me too. But I'd rather that than a changeover here while places north and west get buried. Don't know why, but I do.

I would too. I would take a few inches of pure snow over bigger snow that flips to sleet or rain. Not even close. Who cares if NW gets jipped lol. They make out better at least 7 out of 10 events.

There is too much focus on the models showing too much focus on x wave.  Who cares how we get snow, as long as we get it.

I focus on it because I have seen this setup play out so many times, and the way this can work for us is that second wave phases and we get the famous north trend once models figure that out.  The lead wave is a loss for us in this setup 90 percent of the time.  Its not about what run shows a nice digital storm but what solution is likely to ACTUALLY give us snow. 

It looks like this lead wave is going to be stronger than it looked like yesterday. This is screwing us because it pushes everything East.

HOWEVER, there is a sliver of hope...

IF we can somehow get the ULL to dive down farther SE (this is in the 84-96 hour range still which gives us some room for changes) we could get a new low to redevelop, kind of what the GGEM did (though ti did it late)

That's a shot in the dark though...

I don't want to hear people go "BUT OMG ITS 3-4 DAYS OUT, YOU'RE AN IDIOT FOR GIVING UP".....We're hitting the time frame where models get a good grasp of the overall evolution. Today we learned that the lead wave is going to be stronger....

It sucks, but it is what it is. 

Archived