joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The UKMet timing is still completely different than the GFS--- snow moving in pre-dawn Tuesday morning. 

Yeah, definitely a different timing.  Someone mentioned it's not keying on the same shortwave or something like that (can't recall exactly).  Apparently it's done that pretty consistently for awhile (whether right or not)?

I'll start this for now and merge it into Randy's thread if that gets found/recovered. 

Screw it.  I just got back to the house.  It's permanently gone.  Oh well.  I'm sorry all, it really was an accident.

But anyway...so it's not as dire as everybody tried to make it seem on the GFS.  Oh, it's a miss, definitely, but it's not "wide right.

From a Met perspective and from forecasting for nearly 10 years in the SW...those closed upper cutoff lows over the Baja are a complete nuisance. The models have a hard time figuring them out and there is a lack of observational data to sample in that region. Until a capture occurs and it gets into a better range the uncertainty is likely to remain high. Would need a strong diving northern stream to pick that up and not leave behind.

From a Met perspective and from forecasting for nearly 10 years in the SW...those closed upper cutoff lows over the Baja are a complete nuisance. The models have a hard time figuring them out and there is a lack of observational data to sample in that region. Until a capture occurs and it gets into a better range the uncertainty is likely to remain high. Would need a strong diving northern stream to pick that up and not leave behind.

People have bashed you but you have been dead on so far.

Screw it.  I just got back to the house.  It's permanently gone.  Oh well.  I'm sorry all, it really was an accident.

But anyway...so it's not as dire as everybody tried to make it seem on the GFS.  Oh, it's a miss, definitely, but it's not "wide right.

I went to FSU for grad school, and know exactly what wide right is!  Was there for the "original" one vs. Miami in 1991. :lol:   Ugh!

Anyhow, sorry that happened with the other storm thread and that it's just gone for good.  But we got this one started up.

I haven't seen precip yet, but the mean low position is probably ~50-100mi further N/W. Not a huge difference, but something.

Not bad at all. Seems it just means that the track isn't 100% set in stone yet ... guess we will see but not holding out too much hope personally.

Of course the GGEM still nails Boston. Every storm finds a way there. They have the snow magnets on full power. Every clipper, Miller A, Miller B, upper air energy, wave, front, puff of cloud manages to move north, south, east, west, or upside down -- whatever is required to park over ORH and puke snow. They sure can get into some amazing grooves up there.

So we could be in this fix until...maybe tomorrow(?) by the time it's in a better sampled region.

Archived