Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lack of consistency from run to run on the models tells me we still don't know the outcome.  It could be north and mix or south and out to sea, or something in between at this point.  I think the goalposts will narrow by 0Z tomorrow night.  ERS is just playing the odds based on the thread the needle pattern.  You'll do well 90% of the time by declaring it will not snow in a thread the needle pattern.  However, you will look foolish 10% of the time when the needle is threaded.  He's playing the odds, and I can't blame him.

The lack of consistency from run to run on the models tells me we still don't know the outcome. It could be north and mix or south and out to sea, or something in between at this point. I think the goalposts will narrow by 0Z tomorrow night.

I honestly don't see how anybody using models could make a confident forecast on this. Just blend them and hope for the best I suppose

The SREF plumes tell the story.  At 15z, most members had precip starting at around 00z on the 18th, with a handful starting at around 06z on the 17th.  That's the difference between putting the energy the first and second wave.  Now a lot more start at 06z on the 17th, which is the shift to the first wave we've been seeing all day.

If the trend of amping the first wave continues, I think there's a good chance it comes further north.  The question is whether we can find the sweet spot where it comes north enough to hit us, but not so far north that we switch.

The 15Z SREF plumes focused on the 2nd wave.  The 21Z is focused on the first wave.  (only one member seems to hang onto the second wave; the rest go with the first)  The mean total snowfall is about the same for both runs, but the 21Z run gives it to us with the first wave.

Looks like the EURO was the first model to sniff out the first wave being the important player in all of this...

Archived