Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really not telling anyone what to look at or not look at but forecasting is a learning process.. and yeah most people are here for fun but they are also here for forecasting, so they should learn what is best practice over time. I have a pretty high tolerance for "bad thoughts" as they can open the doors to new learning. I have said a lot of stupid things here over the years myself and been corrected and been better off for it in the future. There are a lot more people here than there were way back when though.. so sometimes we get bogged down in ridiculousness (my opinion, maybe wrong). In the end.. whatever.. just sharing thoughts, sometimes less than cordially because it's the internet and that's how we are here sometimes.

Nice post ian. You know I like to give you a hard time sometimes. This is a very wise post. :-)

You gotta believe this will short more to the north.  The precip shield looks so much better on this run.  If you look at the 42 hour surface panel, you can see it looks really impressive.  Just move that further north and you bring those heavy snow totals further north.  So, now its late Monday into Tuesday afternoon for this storm based on this run. 

the risk that has been mentioned before is that if we miss on the front runner, it will mess things up for the second part, which is what the NAM looks to do

but since it is soooo close on the first part and the Euro says YES, we sit tight if NAM misses the 2nd connection

I really think you are rooting for the wrong wave. The flow is so suppressive and it has no upper support. Even as dead as it looks now I think our only chance of a big snow is to hope that first wave leaves enough behind to phase with the vort diving in behind it. Now if I lived from dc south and was only looking for a few inches the first wave might do it so depending on your location and goal it might be different.

I really think you are rooting for the wrong wave. The flow is so suppressive and it has no upper support. Even as dead as it looks now I think our only chance of a big snow is to hope that first wave leaves enough behind to phase with the vort diving in behind it. Now if I lived from dc south and was only looking for a few inches the first wave might do it so depending on your location and goal it might be different.

You'll still be rooting for the 2nd wave to amplify in 2020....Maybe it is just about time for you to stop telling people what to root for and what they want.  

You gotta believe this will short more to the north.  The precip shield looks so much better on this run.  If you look at the 42 hour surface panel, you can see it looks really impressive.  Just move that further north and you bring those heavy snow totals further north.  So, now its late Monday into Tuesday afternoon for this storm based on this run. 

give this man a cigar     :pimp:

I am very happy with this run. I don't care about the 2nd wave except to wave bye-bye standing in my 3-4" of powder.

UKMET is pretty good.. too bad it's so hard to get quality data from it.

Wxbell adding detailed precip panels is awesome but it comes out way too slow. And I live and die by vort panels and we get none anywhere.

Nice to see the lead wave gaining traction. Column is all snow no matter what.

I agree about the blizzard not going crazy helping out quite a bit. We're in a very tricky pattern with spacing and energy in both streams. Much of the jumping around is caused by changes in the very near term that ripple into big changes down the line. NWP products will always struggle with this stuff. We saw it a lot last year but nobody complained or remembers because we kept winning.

Nice post ian. You know I like to give you a hard time sometimes. This is a very wise post. :-)

I have no real ill will toward you or anyone here. I'm a jerk sometimes I know that (at least I own it unlike some!). I take this stuff more seriously than I should considering it's mainly just a hobby. I wouldn't still be here if I wasn't still learning from it. Plenty of newbies have shed new light on things too. We are all a weirdo family.

You'll still be rooting for the 2nd wave to amplify in 2020....Maybe it is just about time for you to stop telling people what to root for and what they want.

I'm just rooting for snow as I know you are. What I root for has no impact on what is going to happen. If wave 1 works out then life is good. If wave 2 works out life is good. If neither work out life is bad. I will gleefully root for wave 1 because it could produce snow faster than wave 2.

I'm just rooting for snow as I know you are. What I root for has no impact on what is going to happen. If wave 1 works out then life is good. If wave 2 works out life is good. If neither work out life is bad. I will gleefully root for wave 1 because it could produce snow faster than wave 2.

snow delayed is 90% of the time snow denied

I like the first wave idea for that reason alone and will happily live with a lighter snowfall that falls in 2 days vs. 3 because sooooo much more seems to go wrong at 72 hour leads than 48 hr.

but, that's me and I understand some are willing to roll the dice....at my age, I can barely read the dice

And an extremely cold snow at that.

Archived