Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SREF is awful at range.. not sure why anyone even looks at it. Might be worse than the NAM at range. It's like a fine tuning tool in the short range more than anything.. sometimes useful out to 48. Better for svr than snow IMO. This is a weather board but people should also learn over time...

Don't assume we are giving the SREFs any weight just because we are discussing them.  Not sure why you feel the need to repeat the quality of the models at various ranges.  Anybody who is a consistent reader is well aware, but it certainly doesn't do any harm to glance at them, and even discuss them.  If we added the caveats about each model every time we posted a discussion, it would be extremely repetitive, as if it isn't repetitive enough around here already.  What's more unbearable is 15 people all racing to be the first to do pbp on the models the instant they come off, and even worse extrapolating what the model might do without just waiting to see what it does.

LOL...plenty here like Ian. He's right, none of us learn. We are too emotionally invested in this stuff.

People can look at whatever they want.. I know I'm not going to change their minds. For the most part I just disappear when the useless models are being discussed. I totally understand the process and the interest. I've been doing this for like 18 years now though.  Most models have their uses and their strengths--in general everyone would be better off using them for that and not much else.. there is so much data now it all becomes confusing and makes the forecast worse in many cases IMO.  This is a weather board with a whole bunch of anon people who have been anon forever. I am totally transparent about who I am and I share thoughts on almost everything (often to a fault because I'm wrong a lot!). At some point these little turds should just STFU though.

Don't assume we are giving the SREFs any weight just because we are discussing them.  Not sure why you feel the need to repeat the quality of the models at various ranges.  Anybody who is a consistent reader is well aware, but it certainly doesn't do any harm to glance at them, and even discuss them.  If we added the caveats about each model every time we posted a discussion, it would be extremely repetitive, as if it isn't repetitive enough around here already.

I disagree.. anyway, not sure why it's so hurtful for me to say the SREF sucks at range. I love it for svr weather in the 24 or so range. Anyway, maybe someone should just start a thread for people to discuss how much they dislike me. I'm generally only harsh to people who started something and don't let up.. e.g. DCA and hosj.

For the first wave we will have a short window of time to get the slug of moisture to push this far north. That short window is created by the relaxation in confluence between the the 50/50 low and the PV, then the moisture quickly gets squashed south and the associated s/w washes out ala NAM 0Z...a stronger s/w also helps keeps things together longer as we have see in the latest NAM,UKMET and EURO.

For wave #2 to work the s/w that drops in over the PAC NW needs to be stronger (like previous runs) so that it can dig. Digging will slow it down and time it better with the Arctic Jet s/w that comes in late. Last night GFS 0Z was close on this but has since trended away.

I disagree.. anyway, not sure why it's so hurtful for me to say the SREF sucks at range. I love it for svr weather in the 24 or so range. Anyway, maybe someone should just start a thread for people to discuss how much they dislike me. I'm generally only harsh to people who started something and don't let up.. e.g. DCA and hosj.

I'm not saying I dislike you at all.  That wasn't my point really.  Guess I didn't get the tone right.  It's not "hurtful" for you to say it at all.  And perhaps some folks do need the reminding.  Don't take it the wrong way.  I'm one of the ones who likes you.  The folks coming out of the woodwork with terrible pbp, are becoming troublesome.

I'm not saying I dislike you at all.  That wasn't my point really.  Guess I didn't get the tone right.  It's not "hurtful" for you to say it at all.  And perhaps some folks do need the reminding.  Don't take it the wrong way.  I'm one of the ones who likes you.  The folks coming out of the woodwork with terrible pbp, are becoming troublesome.

I'm really not telling anyone what to look at or not look at but forecasting is a learning process.. and yeah most people are here for fun but they are also here for forecasting, so they should learn what is best practice over time. I have a pretty high tolerance for "bad thoughts" as they can open the doors to new learning. I have said a lot of stupid things here over the years myself and been corrected and been better off for it in the future. There are a lot more people here than there were way back when though.. so sometimes we get bogged down in ridiculousness (my opinion, maybe wrong). In the end.. whatever.. just sharing thoughts, sometimes less than cordially because it's the internet and that's how we are here sometimes.

Archived