joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we generally know which global models tend to be more reliable and more of a joke (NAVGEM, JMA, etc...)

I have always wondered which short range models tend to be more trusted. Any thoughts? 

The RGEM has been pretty unstoppable inside 24 hours the last 1-2 years, the RAP has been better than the HRRR this winter I've found

Here's the HRRR at 8AM tomorrow morning.  For the snow and sleet lovers, what hurts is that the fast streaking overrunning precip is going to be well north of NC - it will be streaking through Kentucky and into southern West Virginia...and that's mainly due to the north trend that occurred over the past 2 days with the 5h vort max and 850mb low.  So while the sfc low and the sfc freezing line east of the mtns hasn't climbed way, way north, the mid level warming and the location of the streaking overrunning precip HAS climbed north.  Lastly, normally with the way storms work, the rich get richer...that is, the locations that receive the fast streaking overrunning precip also get in on the comma head precip...so, they get the longest duration event. 

Yea starting to get really worried about that. For snow that is badly what we need, that streaking tongue that drops 1-3 inches before the warm nose kicks in.  Just shows how difficult it is to get snow in the southeast even when it looks like a sure thing within 72 hours.

Yea starting to get really worried about that. For snow that is badly what we need, that streaking tongue that drops 1-3 inches before the warm nose kicks in.  Just shows how difficult it is to get snow in the southeast even when it looks like a sure thing within 72 hours.

Isn't the overrunning the HRRR shows basically in line with what all the globals and regional models showed, anyways?  I think SW VA/KY/WV was supposed to get that tongue of overrunning for the last couple days.

It is unfortunate, though I don't think unexpected.

explain 95th % to me James if you would.  I would assume it's basically a "top end performance" across the board output model (i.e., if literally everything goes perfectly?)

It basically means that in 95% of cases, snowfall will be less than the amount they have there on the map.  5% of the time, snowfall totals will be greater than or equal to that which is on the map.  In essence, it's a best-case scenario that is very unlikely to happen.

But, hey, there's that 1/20th chance we get a foot!  Cue the Dumb and Dumber jokes... "So you're saying there's a chance?!"  ;)

Isn't the overrunning the HRRR shows basically in line with what all the globals and regional models showed, anyways?  I think SW VA/KY/WV was supposed to get that tongue of overrunning for the last couple days.

It is unfortunate, though I don't think unexpected.

yea the rgem showed it too, but after that frame it starts to fill in to the south in nc.  latest hrrr at its last frame (15hr) shows it starting to fill in ever so slightly.  based on the trends i think those who get any snow before changeover will be the lucky ones.

It basically means that in 95% of cases, snowfall will be less than the amount they have there on the map.  5% of the time, snowfall totals will be greater than or equal to that which is on the map.  In essence, it's a best-case scenario that is very unlikely to happen.

But, hey, there's that 1/20th chance we get a foot!  Cue the Dumb and Dumber jokes... "So you're saying there's a chance?!"  ;)

I think we've been shafted 19 times now, so this is the one! Ignoring how statistics work, of course.

Yea models were showing that...guess I was just hoping we might get some moisture in time and the models weren't handling the cold air well. 

I think it's safe to say the NAM was out to lunch with it's delay of precipitation reaching the upstate of SC. The latest RAP has accumulating precip halfway through the northern border of Georgia; while at the same time the NAM has the edge of accumulating precip in western Alabama.

Also, the RAP is a little colder at 850mb here when comparing to the NAM, which is surprising, b/c everytime I've used the RAP it normally has a warm bias at 850mb at the end of its run.

Yea models were showing that...guess I was just hoping we might get some moisture in time and the models weren't handling the cold air well. 

Yeah, I have noticed that it seems to result in a precip minima down near CLT since the overrunning comes over N NC by the end while the CLT area never really gets it much until the main precip streams in (sorry if that sounds convoluted... LOL).

Anyways, Robert (WxSouth) has a map up and some discussion over on his Facebook page, for those who want to take a look:

https://www.facebook.com/WxSouth:

10622837_1002882943075094_78418484779782

---

And DT...  LOL at going 6-10" here...  What?

10842259_820377124676214_772745920503900

RAP warms us up at the end. I know it'll cool back down when the precip starts, but it's still concerning. I wouldn't expect BL temps to be the problem with this storm, but it could still happen.

RAH even has us getting to 30 tomorrow afternoon before the precip starts. Really matters how fast we cloud up. Will definitely start off really cold.

don't worry about it..the rap has a terribly bad warm bias at times.

Yeah, I was thinking that was true, as well, especially at the surface.  I know it seems a bit weenieish, but I do not think it's inaccurate in this case with the RAP.

RAH even has us getting to 30 tomorrow afternoon before the precip starts. Really matters how fast we cloud up. Will definitely start off really cold.

Even if you're at 30, with the dew points we're going to have, wet bulbs could still be in the low 20s.

They have us getting to 29 tomorrow with a low of 23 tomorrow night with 3-5" of snow/sleet.

Archived