• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

CR, my guess would be 6-8 hours of precip for CLT and RDU. As discussed, we aren't getting the wide precip shield like they are from KY to VA. However, this precip is still being largely driven by warm advection which is the most reliable form of precip generation IMO. It looks like frontogenesis and jet level support are contributing as well...but the point being, I wouldn't expect the precip to be spotty and scattered...just not the wide swath like to the north.

Ok, thanks. That's reasonable and makes sense.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, everyone else can mention what they think but the guy without the opinion of HUGE storm and it being just rain is not allowed to?

Ok, I'll bite.  Why are you calling for all rain?  I haven't seen that on the models and not seeing it on the soundings.  Everyone is entitled to have an opinion but you need to back it up w/ some reasoning.

The trends up until now have trending further and further northwest and I follow trends in the models. I think mostly rain. I think the temperature on NAM was rising and the temperature has seemed to trend warmer on the ground.

Sounds good.  Imo the nam 2m temps are out to lunch and usually are.  I'm going more w/ the rgem due to it's track record.  Also I believe the NW trend has stopped.  But this is all my opinion and you're welcome to have yours.  Btw, welcome to the board.

Not sure about ya'll but us folks in the northern upstate are in trouble!

looking at the graphics on SV, it does look that the upstate does go above freezing at the surface for alot of the precip.  I'll wait until I can see the bufkit before i can get a better feel for it.  Of course like many have said neither the NAM or GFS handle the surface level temps well in wedges. 

Main news over last 12 hours of model runs for CLT/US 74/I85 corridor is the GFS has capitulated to the NAM -- at least partially -- on the warm nose. The 12z GFS showed most of the precip as SN for KEHO (Shelby) with very little ZR. Now, the 0z shows only the first 3 hours is snow (and even then it could be a mix); then sleet, then freezing rain.

Looking at skew-Ts over that period, it looks like we're [GSO] snow up to hr 24, then over to heavy sleet with a warm layer from 750 to 850 mb.  Temps below 850 are below freezing, so I think sleet rather than freezing rain would be the dominant P-type in this area.

Interesting to note that the GFS seems to have no such warm layer.  In fact, no layer of the atmosphere appears to go above freezing on the three-hour increments.  I'm not sure which model we should really be trusting more with mid-levels at this point, though the NAM seems to have support from the RGEM for those panels.

I think this at least includes snow and sleet, but here is the clown from the GFS. You can see that it's a major winter storm for much of NC/upstate SC. whether it's snow, sleet, or freezing rain, not to be taken lightly.

es0lmt.gif

Maybe it's just me but I feel that the orientation of the heaviest qpf in TN is more W to E versus SW to NE meaning higher qpf trending south of previous runs. If you were to take the same path and orientation then border counties are near the highest totals from this storm. Anyone else pick up on this?

The gang to our north isn't gonna take to lightly to the gfs cutting there nam totals down. That gfs lines up with the 12z ukie. Course I ain't getting 6 to 7 snow, half of that is sleet. So give me 2 to 3 and inch of sleet, less than a tenth of frzng rain on top maybe. Be a pretty scene.

Someone is in a very bad spot, not sure where, but my guess is upstate to just south of charlotte. .5 to .75 frzng rain is lights out

Archived