12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea ukie is nearly identical. The letter L is placed differently and it fools you at first glance. I'll take the 12z ukie results gladly.

Even so, it is a little south with less isobar riding into the Appalachians and it is also weaker, which one would expect to bode well for us.  Really, it's mostly a wash, though.

EDIT: Looks like temps are the same, though, so meh.

I have beaten my brains in looking at data all day on the short range modeling & globals. The track right around the Midlands of SC (CAE) has been showing up quite a bit. It's a little bit better for you guys in NC, but it could have ice problems for the Upstate and NE GA.

If I remember correctly, it's been so long ago after watching a gazillion short range models today, the 12z ukie keep us all snow and sleet. Fact front end was 3 here and like 5 just up your wsy, with pure sleet after. I'd take that in heart beat. Cause more is on the door step, espeacilly this weekend.

I think every model has no freezing rain here, IIRC.  Your area might get some more, though we should mostly escape with snow/sleet.

The 00z NAVGEM is a little further south and slightly weaker, as well... not that it really matters.

The whole discussion about the SLP... Look at the link below(dec 2002) for a good animation of what is likely to happen. The overall evolution of the pj/stj waves are pretty similar to dec 2002. It's not as juicy as that system, but it's close. This is not going to be an amped/phasing situation, so the SLP is not as important. It will be a reflection of the upper levels and various sfc features. With the main upper low heading towards the Ohio Valley the slp will follow until the sfc features no longer support it(aka stationary CAD front), which will then cause a transfer to the coastal areas. There are a few climo positions where this generally happens, 2 being SE TN and Hatteras. There's been a lot of famous systems over the years that have given NC great winterstorms (ice or snow) that included miller b transfers from these 2 locations. This is not that rare and it's happened plenty of times before. Even in jan 96. Again, this doesn't favor all snow though. It favors snow to sleet in the foothills/nw piedmont and snow to ice over the eastern regions. 

dec 2002

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2002/us1205.php

jan 96( this system in no ways compares to that one, but just for miller b purposes)

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1996/us0107.php

UKMet was virtually identical with 850mb and sfc temps

It is interesting how it is warmer at the surface than other modeling, especially for S NC (same for the 12z run).  Do you know how it usually handles CAD?

Looks like it would still deliver a solid front-end thump here and in the foothills, as with the 12z run.

It is interesting how it is warmer at the surface than other modeling, especially for S NC.  Do you know how it usually handles CAD?

Looks like it would still deliver a solid front-end thump here and in the foothills, as with the 12z run.

It "has problems with shallow cold air." http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/mdlbias/biastext.html

It is interesting how it is warmer at the surface than other modeling, especially for S NC.  Do you know how it usually handles CAD?

It use to have a south and cold bias...but it went through a significant upgrade within the last year.

I was thinking about this earlier - a few days ago, the WPC model diagnostic outlook had indicated that it was the outlier with how it was focusing on the more northerly lead wave system, and they said their preference was the amped GFS that was keying on the second wave which sent the storm well north and warm...the opposite happened in reality - the UKMet was right all along

It "has problems with shallow cold air." http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/mdlbias/biastext.html

Yeah, those write-ups are pretty old...I didn't realize that though about it not handling shallow cold air well (not sure if the upgrade changed anything there).  That article mentions the south bias..and just from what I've seen in the past, it typically had a cold bias at 850mb (which would go with the south bias)

The core of the precip max on the 00z GFS runs from southern AR thru N MS, N AL, N GA, TN, then through NC, but with lesser amounts in NC.  

Curious to see what the Euro does tonight because on its 12z run, the core of the precip was in TN, then in KY thru southern West VA which is more along the lines of where I think it should be based on the setup...interested in seeing if it adjusts with tonight's run

Archived