• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

The NAM does indeed look better. Colder than I've seen it for this storm in the mid-levels. 850s are still straddling I-40 in NC at hr 15. The precip moves in quicker, which, helps all our snow chances on the front-end.

It is also very wet. Looks like it has increased QPF towards the GFS.

Really looks like a raging ip storm here.....  if this could just trend a touch colder I think you and I both would be in really good shape with more sn before any change over.  Gonna be fun to watch as the day progresses 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen this discussed, but at what point are our winds projected to shift? Winds are still NE right now, and with cold air, and extremely low DP, that wedge should really mean business, in my opinion.

At least here, this afternoon. However wins here are already east at about 10mph.

interesting to note that temps have dropped to 32 just northeast of birmingham when the nam says they should have warmed to 40 or 41 by now. In fact dewpoints are such they could drop another degree or two.  Going to be real interesting to see how temps..especially since precip is well ahead of where the nam says it will be and maybe even the gfs.

Incredible differences between the gfs and nam over north ga btw. nam and gfs are 10 degrees apart on surface temps  in some areas, in particular between gainesville and atlanta/athens.

The northern Upstate close the the mountians and Far northeastern GA might be a degree or two colder than progged because we are benefiting form a Northeast breeze blowing down the backside of the mountains. This area is coming from northcentral NC where the coldest/driest air is located right now.  The Hi-res nam is picking this up well and punches subfreezing air down through this zone while looking fairly warm back towards Laurens county to the Rockhill area....

Notice the sharp change in direction of winds south of athens to greenwood...

post-309-0-17188900-1424099022_thumb.gif

Great pick up. I can attest to the NE flow as I was outside with Kids here at my school an hour ago.

The northern Upstate close the the mountians and Far northeastern GA might be a degree or two colder than progged because we are benefiting form a Northeast breeze blowing down the backside of the mountains. This area is coming from northcentral NC where the coldest/driest air is located right now.  The Hi-res nam is picking this up well and punches subfreezing air down through this zone while looking fairly warm back towards Laurens county to the Rockhill area....

precip shield has now cross the GA state line:

wunderground regional radar

If you look at the current radar, the precip sheild definintely has a counter clockwise rotation to it. The rain is rotating northward and westward. By the time it gets to the carolinas, the snow and ice looks to be rotated away from us. While the rain can certainly run into colder air and transition, the rain that comes will bring that dratted  WAA big time. If only it could have tracked due East instead...

Again, it's clear that GSP/others are not buying the GFS/NAM totals (or really any other model totals). Having a hard time determining why much of the CLT metro (and surrounding areas), are below .4 total QPF in their maps.

As I type, I realize that perhaps they are accounting for only around 50% ice accretion. This would make a bit more sense.

If you look at the current radar, the precip sheild definintely has a counter clockwise rotation to it. The rain is rotating northward and westward. By the time it gets to the carolinas, the snow and ice looks to be rotated away from us. While the rain can certainly run into colder air and transition, the rain that comes will bring that dratted  WAA big time. If only it could have tracked due East instead...

I think that radar will fill in as the system pushes over the cold air in the carolinas

Does anyone have a good formula/calculator for evaporational cooling? It's going to take a while for the column to become saturated, and I'm wondering how much that may affect temps.

DPs aren't going to be below zero when the precip arrives, but let's say they sit around 10, with air temps of around 30. I'm assuming DPs would rise much more than temp drops, but am unsure of the ratio. Can't find any calculations for this around, so I figured I'd ask. Apologies if this is not the time in Storm Mode, but it seemed relevant.

Archived