Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The RAP is still trying to shove the low into the Apps, LOL.  Really wouldn't pay that much attention to it at this point aside from trends.

Seriously the HRRR reflectivity doesn't look that realistic for tonight...dry for the most part until 11pm over Central NC....

Seriously the HRRR reflectivity doesn't look that realistic for tonight...dry for the most part until 11pm over Central NC....

Agreed.

I think using these models past hr 6-10 is really a mistake.  Isn't using the HRRR and RAP past those ranges basically equivalent to trying to use the hr 84 NAM to forecast?  If you look at run-by-run, you sometimes see substantial changes.

The RAP and HRRR also look way off with surface temps to me in our areas.  It has us getting into the mid to upper 30s.  It's 23 now with a WB of 17.  Good luck with that unless the sun comes out.

I added a few more HRRR soundings that should update hourly:

KCLT

KRDU

KGSP

FYI products update around :20 after the hour for the map plots, and :40 after the hour for the soundings. Let me know if you have any questions. The HRRR does look a bit on the warm side of CLT :(

Hey Phil! Great to see you posting in these parts of the woods. I remember you from the New England forum when I used to live up in Northwest CT. I can't remember did you or do you still work for NWS Albany? Appreciate all your knowledge and expertise throughout the years.

I would keep an eye on the batch of precip rapidly entering upstate SC right now. If it hangs on, it could be the possible early start to precip in NC. Some of those returns definitely look strong enough to penetrate the dry layer.

Edit: looks like someone already touched on it

I personally believe that dry layer is overrated man. Precip came in here this morning on radar returns and instantly produced flakes so..hopefully it'll do the same for you guys down that way.

Agreed.

I think using these models past hr 6-10 is really a mistake.  Isn't using the HRRR and RAP past those ranges basically equivalent to trying to use the hr 84 NAM to forecast?  If you look at run-by-run, you sometimes see substantial changes.

The RAP and HRRR also look way off with surface temps to me in our areas.  It has us getting into the mid to upper 30s.  It's 23 now with a WB of 17.  Good luck with that unless the sun comes out.

100% agree. The RAP is just way too Edit: WARM***(sorry I said cold before, doh) at the surface for RDU too, the inversion looks like crap at 4am whereas on most all other modeling it's stout. It's a joke to me right now.

What about Blacksburg? For MWK totals? Didn't GFS AND RGEM back way off on qpf? I'm on my phone can't see good.

RGEM beefed up QPF some.  The GFS was about the same.  Looks like the model consensus is for 0.6-1" QPF or so.  The SREF mean looks like around 0.8-0.9".  That's enough QPF for a nice winter storm for us, Frosty, whether it's sleet or snow. :)

Archived