• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

Haven't seen this question posed. Once sleet begins, does that indicate the warm nose has arrived (and in this case is here to stay)?

Or can heavier precip rates/saturation of the column cause the precip to go back to snow?

Not comparing this to the blizzard of 2000, but that's what happened here during that storm.  Started off as rain and then a heavy wet snow and then as temps continued to drop a dry powdery snow w/ drifts.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my amateur perspective, that would be good for most NC folks correct? Limit the WWA on the NW side of the LP and keep the CAD locked in?

Yep and limit or completely prevent the warm nose from producing a melting layer above the surface, allowing more precipitation to fall in the form of snow

Looks like it precip mins the 85 corridor. Still .4-.5" QPF, about what we talked about. NAM's cut back too.

Are y'all looking at 18z?  Looks about the same for the upstate to me, maybe a little less.  GSP did cut back ice totals quite a bit and moved the cut off further north, which seems a bit surprising given current temp trends.

StormTotalIceFcst.png

Yeah, the HRRR has a precip minimum from CLT to Durham.  Widremann screwzone in full effect. ;)

The RAP looks similar.  I would have expected the precip minimum to be further west in the foothills.

:axe:  :axe:  :axe:  :axe:  :axe:

There's already a hole forming on the radar to the southeast of here.....

EDIT: Spoke too soon, looks like the returns are continuing to advance. I hate seeing the words "precip minimum" and "Durham" in the same sentence though....

Just looking at the National Radar.. I would start to be getting concerned in Central NC right now. it looks like the lead wave of precip is going to be the main show and that axis of precip is already passing by to your south.  I mean, obviously yall are going to get a great winter storm, but it might be more like .4 or .5 of total liquid instead of .75 to 1.00 of liquid. Just my opinion, fwiw

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

It almost looks like the convective line exending from LA to Northwestern GA could act to cut off the feed of moisture from the gulf...

Just looking at the National Radar.. I would start to be getting concerned in Central NC right now. it looks like the lead wave of precip is going to be the main show and that axis of precip is already passing by to your south.  I mean, obviously yall are going to get a great winter storm, but it might be more like .4 or .5 of total liquid instead of .75 to 1.00 of liquid. Just my opinion, fwiw

If it is going to be freezing rain, than I am okay with the drop in liquid.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TUESDAY/... AS OF 300 PM MONDAY......POTENTIAL FOR CRIPPLING ICE STORM INCREASING TONIGHT......WINTER STORM WARNINGS AND WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAIN IN EFFECT...OVERVIEW: SHORTWAVE ENERGY TRACKING ACROSS THE CENTRAL MS RIVER VALLEY THIS AFTERNOON WILL PROGRESS INTO THE CAROLINAS AND MID-ATLANTIC TONIGHT. AN ATTENDANT SFC LOW WILL STRENGTHEN AS IT TRACKS EAST ACROSS THE DEEP SOUTH THIS AFTERNOON...THEN ENE ACROSS COASTAL PORTIONS OF THE CAROLINAS TONIGHT.PRECIP CHANCES/AMOUNTS: INCREASING FROM WEST/SW THIS AFTERNOON... INCREASING TO NEAR 100% EVERYWHERE BETWEEN SUNSET AND MIDNIGHT... REMAINING ~100% OVERNIGHT...THEN ENDING FROM WEST-EAST 09-15Z TUE MORNING. STORM TOTAL LIQUID EQUIV PRECIP AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED TO RANGE FROM 0.50-1.00".PRECIP TYPE/ACCUM: AN ATYPICALLY COLD/DRY ANTECEDENT AIRMASS AND A PROGRESSIVE SHORTWAVE TROUGH /ATTENDANT SFC CYCLONE/ TRACKING JUST SOUTH OF THE REGION WILL SET THE STAGE FOR A POTENTIALLY CRIPPLING ICE STORM ACROSS PORTIONS OF CENTRAL NC. THE ARCTIC AIRMASS IN PLACE WILL RESULT IN SIGNIFICANT EVAP COOLING POTENTIAL AND THE PROGRESSIVE NATURE OF THE SHORTWAVE WILL MINIMIZE THE DURATION OF WARM ADVECTION /RETURN FLOW/ FROM THE ATLANTIC (ESP IN THE LOWEST LEVELS). ANY PRECIP THAT FALLS PRIOR TO 00Z THIS EVENING WILL BE SNOW...TRANSITIONING TO SLEET/FREEZING RAIN FROM SOUTH/SE TO NORTH/NW BETWEEN SUNSET AND MIDNIGHT AS STRONG WARM ADVECTION PUSHES A PRONOUNCED WARM NOSE INTO CENTRAL NC. THOUGH SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATION WILL BE LIMITED TO THE FAR N/NW PIEDMONT...SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATION WILL BE POSSIBLE ELSEWHERE...WITH POTENTIALLY CRIPPLING ICE ACCUMULATION ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE TRIANGLE... COASTAL PLAIN...SANDHILLS...AND SW PIEDMONT WHERE SOME OF THE 12Z GUIDANCE IS INDICATING AS MUCH AS 0.50-1.00" OF ICE. ALTHOUGH REALITY IS LIKELY TO BE MUCH LOWER DUE TO VARIABLE PTYPES (SLEET VERSUS FZRA) AND DURATIONS...SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE IS PRESENT TO WARRANT AN INCREASE IN ICE ACCUMULATION AMOUNTS TO 0.25-0.50" SOUTH OF THE I-85 CORRIDOR...WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS ALONG AND JUST SOUTH OF THE HWY 64 CORRIDOR. A SHARP GRADIENT IN ICE ACCUMULATION IS LIKELY NEAR THE SC BORDER WHERE WARM ADVECTION SHOULD ALLOW TEMPS TO RISE ABOVE FREEZING AS THE SFC LOW PROGRESSES THROUGH SC TOWARD THE NC COAST...WHICH SUPPORTS KEEPING THE SOUTHEAST COASTAL PLAIN IN A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY. ELSEWHERE...TEMPS SHOULD STABILIZE IN THE LOWER/MID 20S ACROSS THE N/NW PIEDMONT TONIGHT AND MID/UPPER 20S ALONG THE HWY 64 CORRIDOR. IMPACT: SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATION ALONG/SOUTH OF THE HWY 64 CORRIDOR (INCLUDING TRIANGLE) WILL HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO CREATE SEVERE/PROLONGED IMPACTS ON LOCAL INFRASTRUCTURE INCLUDING DOWNED TREES/POWER LINES...POWER OUTAGES...PROPERTY DAMAGE...IMPASSABLE ROADS...ETC. -VINCENT&&

When they put it like that, it's really starting to concern me a great deal.

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

It almost looks like the convective line exending from LA to Northwestern GA could act to cut off the feed of moisture from the gulf...

Have been thinking the same thing. Unless this storm pivots more due east, CLT to RDU is going to get less QPF. The main precip shield is just too far North and West.

Is that modeled to happen during a transfer to the coast? Perhaps this is the reasoning for lower HRRR totals in recent runs.

Geez, I dont know what the GSP office is smoking right now. They have zero ice in southern Oconee and basically all of Anderson County. My weather station is in the far southern tip of Oconee county and it's reading 30.0/25 right now with moderate rain falling.

Do you think an Ice Storm Warning are warranted for parts of the Upstate?

Work is going to remain open unless DOT says stay off road. My shift is from 7pm till 7am and they will meet again at 7pm to decide if they want to close the plant. All the WSW wording talks about major impacts on the roads with the precip sticking quickly. Now I gotta decide if I say screw it and call out for tonight. Forecast has been upped to .25 to .50 ice with an inch of snow sleet mix

Archived