• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

It's 32 with humidity at 45%, don't no WB and all that stuff, but there is a train of moderate moisture, it looks to keep coming for hours! Half inch accrual looks to be a given, and just enough sleet to make the coating look like it has pimples, to quote on of my favorite posters-

It just got real- Brick

Hahaha, yep its getting real alright, here anyway!

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question: Here is GSO's sounding for hr 1 on the RAP.  It is currently sleeting here.  Clearly, the column is below freezing throughout on the RAP.  Is the RAP screwing up its initialization and thinking the warm nose isn't as strong as it actually is or am I missing something?

That's my question as well.  Nothing but sleet. Maybe even a bit of ZR too.   850 temps look awesome right now

44nxQYF.gif

If something does not change fast GSP will bust this for their piedmont counties from Greenwood to Chester. Laurens is at 30 now and I am sitting at 29 now with heavier precip getting close. My forecast from GSP is for little to no ice tonight and I cant see how that will be right. WYFF shows Jonesville at .30 of ice which is closer to reality I think.

It makes one wonder why GSP keeps revising their forecast downward, as of 21z. They have Greenville getting 0.03" of ice which isn't logical at this point.

I'm sure they will be expanding warnings in their next update... quite clear most of the northern upstate is going to be stuck in FZRA for the duration of this event with possible ice accretion in the .75 to 1.0" range.

sleeting here and rooftops getting some white on them. Guess work decided not to cancel the nightshifts tonight so i'll be going in at 7pm. MHX just came out and says they prefer a low along the coast instead of just inland and has now removed our changeover to rain leaving us solely in the freezing rain area for the entire event. 

I'm sure they will be expanding warnings in their next update... quite clear most of the northern upstate is going to be stuck in FZRA for the duration of this event with possible ice accretion in the .75 to 1.0" range.

its interesting to see gsp may get that much frz rain while ne ga is getting sleet.  usually they are colder or in the sleet and n ga in the ice.  seems bacwards

Question: Here is GSO's sounding for hr 1 on the RAP.  It is currently sleeting here.  Clearly, the column is below freezing throughout on the RAP.  Is the RAP screwing up its initialization and thinking the warm nose isn't as strong as it actually is or am I missing something?

2mngmmu.gif

The model is just wrong, b/c that sounding would be snow. The NAM appears to have nailed the profile again. It's horrible on precip fields, but warm noses it does well... I attached a bufkit nam sounding from 18z for gso at 6pm below:

post-233-0-47584100-1424127664_thumb.png

What's with the big precip hole over the Piedmont? Maybe that's why the HRRR was dropping totals earlier?

There's no hole. There wasn't supposed to be precip there. The fact that the Triangle got anything at all speaks to the south trend of the northern tongue of precip that was supposed to be in southern VA only.

Archived